DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

my nexus order was cancelled as they seem to have over sold , anyone else get this? - UrbanInspirations was the seller

Last edited:
in an old thread dondan said:

CPU Cooling:
As already mentioned, the maximum installation height incl. fan is only 48mm. This measurement refers from the top of the CPU to the sidepanel.

and in the "Nexus Low 7000 R2" mod image, the height after the mod will be 49mm !!

1cb4e12d4a.jpg

how is it possible to fit it inside the A4-SFX with the side-panel closed like these photos ?

1vnoq3.jpg
4p6qjj.jpg

Last edited:
Interested too, of course :)

edit... With noctua ? Tell them to buy black plastic for their fans. Or pink, or green, or yellow... Whatever you want... But not brown ! ;)

You can buy their redux fans or industrial fans both of which are black or gray. Put a "low noise adapter" (aka resistor) on them and they'll still be super quiet.

GOT MINE TODAY!!

I'm from Spain.

But now.. Should i go I7 6700 + GTX 1080 + 4K monitor or just wait to ZEN/VEGA? Some advices?

in an old thread dondan said:

and in the "Nexus Low 7000 R2" mod image, the height after the mod will be 49mm !!

1cb4e12d4a.jpg

Because that was the official number (including some manufacturing tolerance etc.). If the case is perfectly built, you have 50mm of space.

I would wait for zen at the very least. also, anybody tried an lp53 with slim fan combo yet on their case?

A friendly user from Computerbase.de will send me his and I will compare it with the NH-L9i and the C7 (I am the guy that started the spreadsheet and already tested these two coolers). Hopefully I will receive it this weekend.

Ok so I finally finished building my dream pc (with RGB everything, even the desk!)

32039636164_0d1b6ab367_o.jpg

32882217375_60fb9cbd45_o.jpg

Rig:
Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.4Ghz
Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz
Titan X (Pascal) Overclocked
DAN a4-sfx case
1tb Samsung 960 PRO m.2 SSD
Corsair Strafe RGB
Corsair MM800 RGB Polaris
Razer Mamba

I'm very happy with this case, I can't believe that you can fit all that power inside a shoebox sized case, and at lower temps than my old NODE 202 case!

The C7 does sound horrible when the fan is going all out though, sort of sounds like a handheld vacuum cleaner, i'll replace it later this week.

Ok so I finally finished building my dream pc (with RGB everything, even the desk!)

Rig:
Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
DAN a4-sfx case
Corsair Strafe RGB
Razer Mamba

I'm very happy with this case, I can't believe that you can fit all that power inside a shoebox sized case, and at lower temps than my old NODE 202 case!

The C7 does sound horrible when the fan is going all out though, sort of sounds like a handheld vacuum cleaner, i'll replace it later this week.

Can you share a video of the C7 going all out?

The Nexus is nearly end of life and is hard to get it, so i thought about developing my own heatsink.
The heatsink will be very similar to the Nexus, but with more heatsinks and the option to mount a 120mm fan under it. It will include a bracket to shift the fan if you don't have low profile ram. I think about Noctua as manufacturer.

Will be somebody interested in something like this?

Very much ;)

Receive de my case today.

Thanks Dan for your work.
I was t willing to start my build now, but after seeing the case, it s quite hard to refrain from ordering all the part!
I have the case and the nexus cooler.
Not sur if the cooler will work with the asus strix MB.

Thx again Dan, looking forward for this bestpoke cooler;)

Rig:
Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
DAN a4-sfx case
Corsair Strafe RGB
Razer Mamba

could you possibly share how you set up RGB LEDs in the A4-SFX case?

looks great :)

I Asked When Nexus Low 7000 R2 will be back in stock.

Got this Answer : "Thank you for your inquiry however the Nexus LOW-7000 CPU Coolers have been discontinued unfortunately"

Swapped out the C7 for the NH-L9i and it's much quieter, practically silent.

Haven't got the exact numbers but it also seems to running up to 10c cooler than the C7 which seems a bit odd.

Running with a i7 6700 (65w) so unless your using a K version CPU I'd imagine it would cover most use cases.

Also would definitely be interested in a Dan cooler, would happily pay in the £100 range it it could cool a K series and stay cool quiet.

Swapped out the C7 for the NH-L9i and it's much quieter, practically silent.

Haven't got the exact numbers but it also seems to running up to 10c cooler than the C7 which seems a bit odd.

Running with a i7 6700 (65w) so unless your using a K version CPU I'd imagine it would cover most use cases.

Also would definitely be interested in a Dan cooler, would happily pay in the £100 range it it could cool a K series and stay cool quiet.
I wonder if the C7 was extremely starved for air with the old fan.

Can you share a video of the C7 going all out?

Sure, here you go:

Idle fan speed = 930rpm

Then i did an instant jump to

100% fan speed = 2500rpm

Then i put the side cover on and did the same

No idea what the dB's are as i don't have the equipment to measure it. But the high pitched spinning when the side cover is on sure is annoying :p

The Nexus is nearly end of life and is hard to get it, so i thought about developing my own heatsink.
The heatsink will be very similar to the Nexus, but with more heatsinks and the option to mount a 120mm fan under it. It will include a bracket to shift the fan if you don't have low profile ram. I think about Noctua as manufacturer.

Will be somebody interested in something like this?

I'd be interested too.

I put in an order for the Nexus cooler on Amazon (US), but I don't think it will ship... which also caused me to miss the last one at Performance-PCs. I emailed Nexus, and they said it's been discontinued.

Another cooler that might be useful if modified would be http://www.thermalright.de/en/cooler/65/axp-100h-muscle but you'd need to trim the underside heatsink fins.

Sure, here you go:

Idle fan speed = 930rpm

100% fan speed = 2500rpm

No idea what the dB's are as i don't have the equipment to measure it. But the high pitched spinning when the side cover is on sure is annoying :p

It's definitely the turbulent air flowing through the holes. If there was more space, you'd likely have more linear flow through the holes and less noise. The side of the case is acting as a fan grille because they are so close together.

THe honeycomb pattern from this test is similar to what we see here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Effects-of-Grill-Patterns-on-Fan-Performance-Noise-107/

Receive de my case today.

Thanks Dan for your work.
I was t willing to start my build now, but after seeing the case, it s quite hard to refrain from ordering all the part!
I have the case and the nexus cooler.
Not sur if the cooler will work with the asus strix MB.

Thx again Dan, looking forward for this bestpoke cooler;)

i eagerly wait for your confirmation for strix z270i and the nexus cooler

could you possibly share how you set up RGB LEDs in the A4-SFX case?

looks great :)

Thanks!

Sure, I bought all these things:

http://**************/2kpKH1G

http://**************/2kpPjoN

http://**************/2l8p3U1

I put the main unit in the drawer of my desk to keep it out of the way

But i needed to extend the connection to the pc with:

http://**************/2l8tpe7

http://**************/2kkigHn

I got the sticky tape into three long lines, put them on the inside top, side (the inside of the front of the case), and inside bottom of the case on the gfx card side.

Then i cut the plastic sheath off of the LED strip (saves loads of space and is easier to bend without the sheath)

Then i stuck it onto the tape and attached a connector to the end and hung that out of the back of the case (that gap above the gfx card comes in handy!) and connected that to the extension wire.

The main box for the LED strip has 133 effects built into it. You can also attach two strips to the main box, i have one in my desk and one in the dan case, i'm not sure if you can control them individually though.

It was really easy to do, I installed the LED strip before i installed any of the other components.

Last edited:
50mm is max but for example the thermalake apx-100 muscle at 52 mm is too much.

bought it (the AXP - 100 RH to be precise) I am planning on grinding this one down until it fits (no actual grinding involved).

I just spend a serious amount of money to get all CPU coolers which perform decent and fit in the case (even if they require some modding first) I am absolutely determent to make this PC as quiet as possible (hence the totally over the top PSU noise meassurement I did).
I also got a mic for audible frequency tests and a simble sonometer to test this coolers as soon as they arrive.

Dan, if you are able to deliver a better performing heatsink thanks to your superior (<- just a joke) German design and engineering skills I will buy it, no matter the price.

Rig:
Cryorig C7 CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
DAN a4-sfx case
Corsair Strafe RGB
Razer Mamba

Can you please not embed 20+ MB images?

Thanks!

Sure, I bought all these things:

http://**************/2kpKH1G

http://**************/2kpPjoN

http://**************/2l8p3U1

I put the main unit in the drawer of my desk to keep it out of the way

But i needed to extend the connection to the pc with:

http://**************/2l8tpe7

http://**************/2kkigHn

I got the sticky tape into three long lines, put them on the inside top, side (the inside of the front of the case), and inside bottom of the case on the gfx card side.

Then i cut the plastic sheath off of the LED strip (saves loads of space and is easier to bend without the sheath)

Then i stuck it onto the tape and attached a connector to the end and hung that out of the back of the case (that gap above the gfx card comes in handy!) and connected that to the extension wire.

The main box for the LED strip has 133 effects built into it. You can also attach two strips to the main box, i have one in my desk and one in the dan case, i'm not sure if you can control them individually though.

It was really easy to do, I installed the LED strip before i installed any of the other components.

Thank you! This is great information.

Sure, here you go:

Idle fan speed = 930rpm

100% fan speed = 2500rpm

Thanks man, that was eye-opening.

[ear-opening?]

No one has them yet. I have some on the way and will let everyone know if they fit once received. It will likely be early March though that I have everything and can build it. (Out of the country last week of February.)

The axp100h with buttom fan will only work with window kit. I already test that mod. The nexus is better.

Sure, here you go:

Idle fan speed = 930rpm

100% fan speed = 2500rpm

This is the same sound my H100 with x2 fans in Ncase M1 makes when it ramps up it's speed with sidepanel on. So it's just too close to the sidepanel-problem :-(

TLDR If anyone plans to go with Cryorig C7 with the A4, don't do it! Buy Noctua L9i and be happy!

Today I swapped my C7 for the L9i and it really is night and day difference. At first I thought my system would not even POST, it is that silent. In idle you have to press your ear against the case to hear it.
Under load it gets audible, but it is barely louder than the C7 IN IDLE. Even the temps are, well, acceptable. They reached 85°C with the C7 aswell as the L9i, only that the C7 sounds like a jet engine.
Don't get me wrong, the C7 is a nice cooler and it served me well for half a year in an ATX case, but with the distance to the side panel so close it creates a horrible convection noise.

TLDR If anyone plans to go with Cryorig C7 with the A4, don't do it! Buy Noctua L9i and be happy!

Today I swapped my C7 for the L9i and it really is night and day difference. At first I thought my system would not even POST, it is that silent. In idle you have to press your ear against the case to hear it.
Under load it gets audible, but it is barely louder than the C7 IN IDLE. Even the temps are, well, acceptable. They reached 85°C with the C7 aswell as the L9i, only that the C7 sounds like a jet engine.
Don't get me wrong, the C7 is a nice cooler and it served me well for half a year in an ATX case, but with the distance to the side panel so close it creates a horrible convection noise.

So uhh anyone looking to buy a BNIB cryorig C7?

Anyone with the Corsair SF600 that think it's noisy? Mine is really loud under load.

I don't have a Dan A4 case so I cannot say for how it is in that case but my Sf600 is nearly silent. I barely hear it with my 4790k and gtx 1080 at full load. Even with both at 50% load the fan usually isn't even running on the sf600.

Has anyone mounted the noctua fan on the C7? I know everyone says it's the distance to the case but I suspect it could be worse in some fans. Also, if you have tried or plan to make sure to try it in push and in pull orientations...

Something else someone mentioned was mounting a 120mm fan in front of it, I don't think a 120mm fan would resonate like the C7, it could provide great airflow...

I'm not convinced the problem isn't fixable. I'll be trying a couple different solutions to see if I can't make it quieter when my case comes. Mostly because I don't think I could settle for the brown fan. I'm too deep into the black and white build and I can't go back now.

Back