DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Kaby lake isnt something new.. just an improved skylake. Not that interesting
Sorry if this is not a very good question but I tired searching around but could not find anything. If I buy a Sky Lake motherboard now such as the B150i, I understand that Kaby Lake will work, but also as far as I understand Cannon Lake will also be LGA 1151, so will Cannon Lake work on a Sky Lake motherboard.

Not 100% sure atm whether there will be a bios update. But i would be suprised if there wont be one.. in worst case u have to buy a new mainboard. I think with cannonlake there will come a "new chipset" like with every refresh cpus before

i tested the cryorig C7 with my 4670k.
Expected better results But they are similiar to Other Tests.

In the Aida tests the case Fans were turned off and in Rainbow six turned on. they dont have a influence anyway because the case was Opened.

(max and avg Temps)
http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/a...-kleine-zwerg-im-test-diagramm-stress-cpu.png

Stress fpu and Prime95 test failed (reached 100 Celsius)

This Temps are while playing Rainbow six Siege

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/a...-kleine-zwerg-im-test-diagramm-stress-cpu.png
For more details
http://forumredir.pcgameshardware.de/redir/clickGate.php?u=G3mjS030&m=1&p=p804hWTi0c&t=tt4Xk7x1&st=&s=&splash=2&url=http://webeddie.ch/hwilog/rn/hwlog.php?fil=log_ufdpyarc_3075893646.csv&r=http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/luftkuehlung/459854-review-cryorig-c7-der-kleine-zwerg-im-test.html

Last edited:
The only part that you would be worried about being damaged by a magnet is an HDD. Guess what's inside that? Multiple electronic magnets for the seeker and spinner motors. That wimpy magnetic tape is far from being strong enough to affect your HDDs data in any meaningful way.

Hmm interesting, I was wondering if fans in the gpu, cpu, and psu would be possible areas of problems, glad to hear that that's not the case. Besides that, I'm hoping to score a 1tb ssd for my rig to replace my 2tb hdd, so I may be capable of removing any problems with magnets at all entirely. Thanks for the information.

Edit: Also, does anyone know the exact date that the cases on the other sites will be dropped? Thanks!

Hmm interesting, I was wondering if fans in the gpu, cpu, and psu would be possible areas of problems, glad to hear that that's not the case. Besides that, I'm hoping to score a 1tb ssd for my rig to replace my 2tb hdd, so I may be capable of removing any problems with magnets at all entirely. Thanks for the information.

Edit: Also, does anyone know the exact date that the cases on the other sites will be dropped? Thanks!

Cases are expected to ship early January.

WTF guys... the magnetic field of that dustfilter isnt that strong that it could affect the fans in anyway... not even the electronics..
Although the dust filters arent spinning in the case so it wont induct anything..

Furthermore a CPU heatsink like the Cryorig C7 will be good, because the distance between mesh and fan will be very low.

Well the air still needs to get out somewhere. When the dust filter really have that high impact on the cooling performance, then the only recommend is to use a low TDP CPU

Just got the Kickstarter mail and damn, gives you a nice idea what's involved in a project like this when the actual building only takes two! days.
Stupid customs, always delaying things...

i am so hyped for this case :D

Guys i will compare the C7 with the Noctua NH-L9i (15mm and 25mm Noctua fan).

Do you got any wishes?

actual building only takes two! days

Possibly, by "assembly" he means putting the parts together, e.g. installing the riser and side panels. The main case part should have been manufactured by now since dondan already shared a picture of the production a few weeks ago. I'm glad its finally arriving on the horizon soon :D

If anyone is interested in selling their Dan A4 Case no matter the colour please let me know. Also Dan, is the May/June shipping date for the second run confirmed or just a guess?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Do someone knows the benefit of the Dynatron T318 over the R31?

On Dynatron website the R31 is rated 165w tdp:

http://www.dynatron-corp.com/upload/Downloads/R31.pdf

and the t318 135w:

http://www.dynatron-corp.com/upload/Downloads/T318.pdf

I didn't find any comparison online. It would be for an i7 6850k and the Noctua NF-AX14 PWM.

Thanks in advance

It's probably rated at a higher tdp because a copper fins retain heat and doesn't dissipate it as well as aluminum fins. The fin material is the only difference. It will be nice to see how they both perform.

I have the t318 and it's worked just fine with my 5820k so I'm not planning a side-grade (upgrade).

It's probably rated at a higher tdp because a copper fins retain heat and doesn't dissipate it as well as aluminum fins. The fin material is the only difference. It will be nice to see how they both perform.

I have the t318 and it's worked just fine with my 5820k so I'm not planning a side-grade (upgrade).

Well perfect then! I'll keep my R31.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the update Dan. You're running a great Kickstarter campaign, way to keep everyone in the loop. Looking forward to receiving my case February-ish!

As long as there is a Dan A4 case coming at some point in the future, there can be no "bad news." :)

Thank you for the kickstarter update Dan!

The Bad thing are that we are not getting an awesome christmas present.

The good thing are that we are getting a delayed awesome christmas present and that maybe we will have more information and availability of Samsung 960, Kabylake, H/Z270 MBs so we can buy the latest gr8est.

Dondan, I've been looking into your case for a few months and I really like it, but I have one question, will any of the first production run cases be on sale online? Or all of them are just for the Kickstarter backers?

Dondan, I've been looking into your case for a few months and I really like it, but I have one question, will any of the first production run cases be on sale online? Or all of them are just for the Kickstarter backers?

Dan said that a small number of cases will be sold from caseking.de and overclocker.co.uk from the initial batch but that number will be very limited as far as Dan can tell. The next production run sold through the same means he estimates will be around May/June

CRYORIG C7 and 6700k Update!

So if you look a few pages back, I lamented about the C7's inability to cool the 6700k under stress testing. After adjusting the voltage and CPU fan settings, I present the following information:

i7-6700k @ 4.2ghz all cores (slight 5% overclock).
3200mhz 8gbx2 Corsair RAM
IC Diamond 7 thermal compound
VCORE set to adaptive, maxing out at ~1.16v according the CPUID
Fan profile set to "performance" (audible, even at idle, ramps up but not ultra annoying sound profile and NOT full speed)

Running Prime95 puts maximum load on the CPU AFTER the first loop during stress testing (greatly increasing the heat output). First pass temps ranged in the low 70's but after that temps spiked almost instantly, reaching 89 degrees on the hottest core after 15 minutes (84-85 C being the coolest core). This is also with a fairly cold ambient temp of 67 F (19.45 C). The case I am using is very bare bones, it's a Zalman Micro-ATX case with 1 small rear exhaust fan and no intake fans. I don't think temps will be much worse, if any, inside the Dan A4 since any air

All in all, it should be adequate as is for gaming. No game will put the kind of stress on the 6700k with HT enabled that Prime95 dishes out. I'm going to continue to see if I can adjust the adaptive voltage more to bring down the temps while maintaining stability.

On a slightly related (but perhaps off topic) note, I got a watt-o-meter that I am going to hook up (when I get a moment or two) to measure power consumption difference between the stock voltage setting used by the motherboard (temps reached 96C OUCH) and with the lowest stable voltage setting I can attain. I'd also like to see what kind of power consumption difference HT has being on and off. I can post those results for anyone curious.

CRYORIG C7 and 6700k Update!

So if you look a few pages back, I lamented about the C7's inability to cool the 6700k under stress testing. After adjusting the voltage and CPU fan settings, I present the following information:

i7-6700k @ 4.2ghz all cores (slight 5% overclock).
3200mhz 8gbx2 Corsair RAM
IC Diamond 7 thermal compound
VCORE set to adaptive, maxing out at ~1.16v according the CPUID
Fan profile set to "performance" (audible, even at idle, ramps up but not ultra annoying sound profile and NOT full speed)

Running Prime95 puts maximum load on the CPU AFTER the first loop during stress testing (greatly increasing the heat output). First pass temps ranged in the low 70's but after that temps spiked almost instantly, reaching 89 degrees on the hottest core after 15 minutes (84-85 C being the coolest core). This is also with a fairly cold ambient temp of 67 F (19.45 C). The case I am using is very bare bones, it's a Zalman Micro-ATX case with 1 small rear exhaust fan and no intake fans. I don't think temps will be much worse, if any, inside the Dan A4 since any air

All in all, it should be adequate as is for gaming. No game will put the kind of stress on the 6700k with HT enabled that Prime95 dishes out. I'm going to continue to see if I can adjust the adaptive voltage more to bring down the temps while maintaining stability.

On a slightly related (but perhaps off topic) note, I got a watt-o-meter that I am going to hook up (when I get a moment or two) to measure power consumption difference between the stock voltage setting used by the motherboard (temps reached 96C OUCH) and with the lowest stable voltage setting I can attain. I'd also like to see what kind of power consumption difference HT has being on and off. I can post those results for anyone curious.
Yes please share some more. But do you think a 6700 non K will perform better or equal to the under clocked K

That doesn't seem right to me. As you can see in this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thermal_conductivities Aluminium has a lower thermal conductivity at 240 W/(m*K) than Copper at 400 W/(m*K).
This number only represents how fast the heat is transferred inside the heatsink (basically how fast the energy will travel from your core to the fins). So we can see that Copper conducts heat massively better than Aluminium. Means, the temperature gradient inside the Copper heatsink will be smaller (Copper can handle peak powers better than Aluminium).

The second number we have to look at is how much energy both heatsinks can hold with a certain increase in Temperature. This is called (specific) thermal capacity.
Copper has a thermal capacity of 0.385 J/(g*K) and Aluminium has 0.897 J/(g*K). Now you might think the Aluminium heatsink can hold 2.3 times as much energy as Copper but Copper is much denser.
If we look at the thermal capacity per volume we get 3.48 J/(cm^3 *K) for Copper and 2.422 J/(cm^3 *K) for Aluminium (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity).
We see that Copper can also hold more energy than Aluminium, 1.4 times as much to be more specific.

The last thing we have to look at is the most complicated one, conductivity through forced convection and radiation. Luckily we have good numbers for this too!
Dynatron has a graph in its datasheet which gives us the thermal resistance of the heatsink at different CFMs (Airflows).

If you take a few numbers we get this table; lower is better: (note: the copper values aren't exact because we don't have data points in this graph)
Copper:
CFM___Rth in K/W
05_____ 0.37
10 _____0.255
15_____0.215
20_____0.185
25_____0.18

Aluminium:
CFM___Rth in K/W
05_____NA
10_____0.276
15_____0.23
20_____0.202
25_____0.187

As you can see Copper wins again (even though the difference is almost negligible.

Conclusion:
Copper spreads the heat better inside it, it can hold more energy and it has a smaller Rth. Therefore I cannot see how the Aluminium heatsink should perform better.
Posible explanations are that oxidation is worse on Copper, decreasing the performance more over time. Another explanation is that they determined the TDP differently for the two heatsinks.

TL;DR: I have no clue why the R31 should perform better than the T318. In my opinion it should be the other way around.

That doesn't seem right to me. As you can see in this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thermal_conductivities Aluminium has a lower thermal conductivity at 240 W/(m*K) than Copper at 400 W/(m*K).
This number only represents how fast the heat is transferred inside the heatsink (basically how fast the energy will travel from your core to the fins). So we can see that Copper conducts heat massively better than Aluminium. Means, the temperature gradient inside the Copper heatsink will be smaller (Copper can handle peak powers better than Aluminium).

The second number we have to look at is how much energy both heatsinks can hold with a certain increase in Temperature. This is called (specific) thermal capacity.
Copper has a thermal capacity of 0.385 J/(g*K) and Aluminium has 0.897 J/(g*K). Now you might think the Aluminium heatsink can hold 2.3 times as much energy as Copper but Copper is much denser.
If we look at the thermal capacity per volume we get 3.48 J/(cm^3 *K) for Copper and 2.422 J/(cm^3 *K) for Aluminium (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_capacity).
We see that Copper can also hold more energy than Aluminium, 1.4 times as much to be more specific.

The last thing we have to look at is the most complicated one, conductivity through forced convection and radiation. Luckily we have good numbers for this too!
Dynatron has a graph in its datasheet which gives us the thermal resistance of the heatsink at different CFMs (Airflows).

If you take a few numbers we get this table; lower is better: (note: the copper values aren't exact because we don't have data points in this graph)
Copper:
CFM___Rth in K/W
05_____ 0.37
10 _____0.255
15_____0.215
20_____0.185
25_____0.18

Aluminium:
CFM___Rth in K/W
05_____NA
10_____0.276
15_____0.23
20_____0.202
25_____0.187

As you can see Copper wins again (even though the difference is almost negligible.

Conclusion:
Copper spreads the heat better inside it, it can hold more energy and it has a smaller Rth. Therefore I cannot see how the Aluminium heatsink should perform better.
Posible explanations are that oxidation is worse on Copper, decreasing the performance more over time. Another explanation is that they determined the TDP differently for the two heatsinks.

TL;DR: I have no clue why the R31 should perform better than the T318. In my opinion it should be the other way around.
Your forgetting the most importent fact when comparing copper to aluminium. Copper is 3,32 times as heavy as aluminium. In a portable case like this, it would make ZERO sense, to choose a heavier material when the diffrence in performance is this tiny.

I asked Dynatron some month ago about this, because they wrote on their page a TDP of 135W for the full copper T318 and 165W for the R31. They told me that they perform on the same level. It is an error in the datasheet.

By perform I mean achieve same speed at better temperature

It should be equal power consumption at the same clock speeds of the 6700k. The 6700k has higher power draw by default because it's clocked higher. If one were to doenclock the 6700k to match the 6700, power consumption should be nearly identical.

It should be equal power consumption at the same clock speeds of the 6700k. The 6700k has higher power draw by default because it's clocked higher. If one were to doenclock the 6700k to match the 6700, power consumption should be nearly identical.
Any reason to choose 1 over the other?

Any reason to choose 1 over the other?

Even if you don't plan to OC, the 6700k is 500mhz faster than the 6700 out of the box. So unless you absolutely want or need the lower power consumption or there is no way to fit the added cost of the 6700 into your budget, I'd say get the 6700K.

Copper:
CFM___Rth in K/W
05_____ 0.37
10 _____0.255
15_____0.215
20_____0.185
25_____0.18

Aluminium:
CFM___Rth in K/W
05_____NA
10_____0.276
15_____0.23
20_____0.202
25_____0.187

Conclusion:

I read it a while back when copper heatsink were getting popular. Copper has better thermal properties than aluminum but it retains the heat so it's harder for the fan to push the heat away. I can't remember where I saw the results. You are correct in all your data but then again paper data and real world data don't always work in unison. Dynatron tests their products and the r31 has better results. But, we don't have all of the data as to how they reached better results with the aluminum fins.

It might of been back with the thermaltake x90 days.

I currently using T318 with NF-A9x14 in my silverstone ml08b-h case. With Xeon e5-2695 v3, the temps are quite okay.

If someone can compare r31 with t318, it would be nice to see the result.

I currently using T318 with NF-A9x14 in my silverstone ml08b-h case. With Xeon e5-2695 v3, the temps are quite okay.

If someone can compare r31 with t318, it would be nice to see the result.

I would love to see those results.

Hey guys the noctua NH L9i arrived today, quick installed him and i am stunned. 2 less heatpipes then the cryorig c7, quieter, smaller with the x15mm fan and 1°C less temps ! same thermalpaste used !

I am stunned... gonna make some testing and will test the 25mm noctua fan too :) awesome cooler!

Hey guys the noctua NH L9i arrived today, quick installed him and i am stunned. 2 less heatpipes then the cryorig c7, quieter, smaller with the x15mm fan and 1°C less temps ! same thermalpaste used !

I am stunned... gonna make some testing and will test the 25mm noctua fan too :) awesome cooler!

It's a nice little cooler. The slim fan will become annoying after 1500-1600rpm in my opinion. But under that it is almost inaudiable. A 25mm fan will be quieter for the same performance, though. Personally, I use a NF-B9 Redux 1600prm PWM.

Yea its noticeable at 1600rpm, but its still quiet and quieter then the c7.
I will make some noise recordings with different rpms to campere the c7 and the noctua :)

Last edited:
Back