DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

The Intel 600p is less likely to throttle at write speeds since it's quite slow at writes (relative to other NVMe m.2 storage options), but I haven't seen any reviews confirming or denying this.

Yep, and much more affordable, it has my interest.

Also, what do you guys think about using an M.2 extender cable to move the SSD into some airflow?

m2-extcbl-bma.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi all!

I am contemplating to build a semi-passive system in this case.

Do anyone know if Cryorig C7 or Noctua L9i are able to go to 0 rpm in idle?

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Yes if you setup your mb fancontroller or speedfan to 0% cpu fan speed on an specified temp target.

Sounds good! My Intel stock fan will not go to 0 rpm if I set it to 0% but my current Noctua case fan will. That's why I asked for any experience with these two cpu coolers since it seems that not every fan has that ability.

The asrock fan controllers suck tho, but that wont be a problem in this case :D
The ASRock board is the only Z170 ITX board (other than the Maximus VIII Impact, which costs £60 more, lacks m.2, and needs an extra riser card for more than 2 fans) to have multiple PWM headers. All the others have 1 PWM CPU fan header, and voltage control only on the other header(s).

I find ASRock is usually one of the few manufacturers to put multiple PWM headers on their mitx mobos. It's been that way for a few generations now.

I find ASRock is usually one of the few manufacturers to put multiple PWM headers on their mitx mobos. It's been that way for a few generations now.
Have to disagree. The Asrock ITX model only has 2 headers, though the Fatal1ty has 3. My Z87i-Pro from Asus has 4 PWM headers on it o.o I actually find Asus's typically have more on the model step down from the top (Impact series always has minimal due to everything being so cramped). The Z170i Pro Gaming has 3 PWM headers. Though the current gen Impact has the extra fan connector module to make up for it.

TBH though in an ITX system 2-3 is just fine?

I should have specified lower end mobo's like H chipsets etc. At least that's been my memory since Ivy Bridge, maybe I am wrong. I've never been a shopper for Z-series until this cycle.

Does anyone know if the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X will FOR SURE fit in this case? I am so close to pulling the trigger now and getting this new for $317, but I cant get a straight answer if it will fit. Does anybody know!?

Also, the only reason it says might not fit is the power socket. I found some right angled connectors online, that would solve this problem correct? This deal is too good to pass up and want to get it but need to be sure

Edit: Reading the past comments I felt confident and bought it. May need to do some work to make the power connectors fit, or buy angled connectors, but Im feeling good about it. Couldn't pass that deal up

Last edited:
I'm happy to say I was a part of the kickstarter and I'm anxious to get this case, but I have to say the lack of 3rd party reviews that include CPU (specifically i5 and i7 CPUs) and GPU temperature results is disappointing.

Does anyone know if the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X will FOR SURE fit in this case? I am so close to pulling the trigger now and getting this new for $317, but I cant get a straight answer if it will fit. Does anybody know!?

Also, the only reason it says might not fit is the power socket. I found some right angled connectors online, that would solve this problem correct? This deal is too good to pass up and want to get it but need to be sure

Edit: Reading the past comments I felt confident and bought it. May need to do some work to make the power connectors fit, or buy angled connectors, but Im feeling good about it. Couldn't pass that deal up

I'll be attempting to drop the same card in - let's collaborate on solutions if it's a tough job. I have not ordered the right angle connectors yet. I've had the 1070 gaming x since launch and it's soo quiet even OC'd past 1900 Mhz. Love it. My goal is to make the DAN as quiet as possible. If the gaming X fits, the CPU fan is my next target for near silence.

I just bought the Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming Itx/ac board with the 15% discount and a $30 rebate on newegg. The reviews aren't the greatest but my last 4 boards have been Asrock and I love them all. Never had a single issue. I'm hoping to use the beta bios 1.54 to overclock an i5 6500 to a cool 4Ghz and give it to my girlfriend. Wish me luck!

Is this promo code still valid? If so, what is it?

You can use ANDROID6 to get $15 off $100 if you use Android Pay. Looks like they lowered the rebate to $20 as well...

guess its decided :) bought an asus maximus vii impact for the dan case :)

didnt find a reason to upgrade the socket yet

Last edited:
asus maximus VII doesn t have m.2 port no?
That the issue with this card for me.

VI (Z87) & VII (Z97) has the M.2 slot. Only VII is full speed M.2 4x 32 Gbps though.
That's the VIII (Z170) which doesn't have it. (has the U.2 instead)

It does have m.2 port and also a mini pcie with the extension board

maximus-vii-impact-11-1280x1024.jpg

The reason i choose this mainboard is the "perfect" layout of the board. Power connections all on one side, a soundcard that hopefully has a decent mic quality and some nice features too.

Cant wait to install it into the dan case :)

Fan wise i am going with a Noctua NH-L9i instead of the Cryorig C7. Why? They pretty much have the same perfomance and the Noctua is a little bit quieter. Altough the Noctua is more expenisve. But i dont care because i will mount an 92x92x25 fan on it, so it should be less noisy then the c7 and perform better.

Also the noctua looks better on the mobo :D
M7I-3D_678x452.jpg

Pics i found in the internet

Q9CJkos.jpg

cOyIvQO.jpg

Last edited:
It does have m.2 port
It doesn't. The images are from the predecessor, the Impact VII. I recommend either using an U2 to m2 adapter or using the Z170i pro gaming. The only negative thing is that it doesn't have an USB type C port.

Trying to decide on a power supply. I've narrowed it down between the corsair SF450 and SF600. Do you guys think 450 watts should be enough for an Evga 1070 sc + 3770k + ssd + hdd or should I go with the 600 watts?

So guys, I have the C7 at home but I heard a lot of people will buy the Noctua and mount a 25 mm fan on it.

Which will peform cooler and quieter? Anyone with both of them at home and is in for a little testing? :)

@Iscollo: I have the SF450, a 3450@3,7 GHz and an EVGA SC 1070. No problems so far and I don't suspect any in the future.

@ Iscollo the 450 Watt should be more then enough

vAro i would love to test both, but i doubt that Noctua oder Cryorig will give me a cooler for testing.

The Noctua is also with another fan much more expensive, but should be also quieter

There are several coolers which i would love to test

Cooltek ITX 30 with a 25mm fan.
Noctua LH 9 with a 25mm fan
Cryorig C7
ID-Cooling IS-VC45
scythe kozuti <-- dont like the fact, that i think u cant replace the fan with
Deepcool GABRIE <--- only passive (to high)

Here are some tests from dondan

DAN A4-SFX das kleinste Gaming-Gehäuse der Welt - Seite 120

He claims, that the C7 is 8-10°C cooler then the Noctua, but i dont think its possible

Last edited:
Dondan already tested the Noctua NH-L9i with a 25mm fan and it actually performed worse (even SPCR had the same results). The Cooltek ITX30 is essentially on par with the Noctua cooler, but slightly quieter. The CryOrig C7 has a thicker heatsink vs. the Noctua's and it is so close to the vent-holes, which is why I think it cools that much better than the Noctua. Cooltek ITX30 is costly that I do not think it warrants the extra money for a 25mm fan. CryOrig C7's price is too good to pass up imo.

Last edited:
Dondan already tested the Noctua NH-L9i with a 25mm fan and it actually performed worse (even SPCR had the same results). The Cooltek ITX30 is essentially on par with the Noctua cooler, but slightly quieter. The CryOrig C7 has a thicker heatsink vs. the Noctua's and it is so close to the vent-holes, which is why I think it cools that much better than the Noctua. Cooltek ITX30 is costly that I do not think it warrants the extra money for a 25mm fan. CryOrig C7's price is too good to pass up imo.

Does Noctua actually make a mountable 25mm fan? Or is there a brand everyone is looking at? How far is that fan plus the heatsink from the sidewall?

Does Noctua actually make a mountable 25mm fan? Or is there a brand everyone is looking at? How far is that fan plus the heatsink from the sidewall?

I do not know how far the fan is to the side panel, but it will pretty much just fit in with the <=48mm height tolerance of the Dan A4. The stock fan in the NH-L9i is 14mm and the cpu height of the cooler is 37mm. With a 25mm fan, it would just fit as you would be adding another 11mm in height to the original 37mm in height, making it now 48mm in height.

Trying to decide on a power supply. I've narrowed it down between the corsair SF450 and SF600. Do you guys think 450 watts should be enough for an Evga 1070 sc + 3770k + ssd + hdd or should I go with the 600 watts?
Don't buy SFX, buy SFX-L. There is no point in buying SFX when you can fit an SFX-L, they are cheaper and significantly more silent due to the bigger fan. I have SX500-G with GTX 1080 and it is not even spinning most of the time.

I'd argue the Corsair SF450 is quieter than the SX500-G...
I would like to see some real world data. For me it's just not physical, how can a smaller fan be more quiet.

SF450 has better voltage regulation and has near platinum-levels of efficiency. It can run GTX 1080 builds just fine. I did hear that the SX500-LG has a v2.0 that is supposed to fix the fan noise issues that it had.
I have SX500-LG v1.1, absolutely no issues for me :) I had problems with Silverstone's ST45SF-G and SX600-G, they were too loud for me and SX500-LG one has no problems whatsoever. That's why I'm skeptical of Corsair's ones as well.

I would like to see some real world data. For me it's just not physical, how can a smaller fan be more quiet.
I have SX500-LG v1.1, absolutely no issues for me :) I had problems with Silverstone's ST45SF-G and SX600-G, they were too loud for me and SX500-LG one has no problems whatsoever. That's why I'm skeptical of Corsair's ones as well.

From what I have read, the SF450 runs really quiet, but the SF600 is a hit or miss noise wise and there a decent number of complaints when running a 250w tier gpu.

i will go with the sf 450 too, it just has the better power circuit then the silverstone

I've owned both the Silverstone 450, the Silverstone 600, and a friend at my old work had the sx500. He complained of (albeit minor) coil noise for the SX500. I listened to this in person as well. I now own the SF450 from Corsair and can say first hand it is quieter than the other 3, and I cannot hear any discernible coil noise like I could with both my Silverstone 450, 450 v2 and 600w.

Corsair SF450 450W Review
For the SF450
Silverstone SX500-LG 500W Review
For the Silverstone 500.

It's just better made. Not saying the Silverstone is 'bad' but if I had to choose I'd pick (and did), the SF450.

It is not a lot to go on, but I'm currently running with the components i have intended for the DAN A4-SFX, and have not yet heard anything from the Corsair SF450 - now to be fair, it is drowned out by my Cryorig C7 under heavy load, but still incredible little PSU. Oh and excellent support not to forget.

Back