DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

The second window design looks better in my opinion (purely looks, I mean). Having either one would reduce portability but since either one of them would be optional I don't see a real drawback here. However, I could see the latter one having too much of an opening on the top for dust to find its way into the case which might not be so practical. I love the idea of an inside view, so any kind of a window would be a plus :)

Personally i would prefer a filter mesh instead of acrylic plates, because my environment does not allow me to live without filters.

Still transparent. Kinda. I think the razer core works this way?
Razer-Core-side.jpg
Difference being?
A4-SFX.jpg

Hi Dondan, can you verify whether this graphics card fits?
It says it's 28.4cm long not counting the bracket protrusion. Your websites says 295mm max.
This Galax model is not on the English website so it's probably only sold in the Chinese market.

zti8UgE.jpg

I was wondering what builds people are planning for, most notably cpu, gpu, and motherboard (Z or H series & brand). Also, dondan, if you can, I would create a public google doc like the Ncase M1. If you put this into KickStarter update, this would help your product even more imo.

The most important google doc tabs would be: cpu temps, gpu temps, gpu compatibility (confirmed), cpu overclock/voltage.

I was wondering what builds people are planning for, most notably cpu, gpu, and motherboard (Z or H series & brand). Also, dondan, if you can, I would create a public google doc like the Ncase M1. If you put this into KickStarter update, this would help your product even more imo.

The most important google doc tabs would be: cpu temps, gpu temps, gpu compatibility (confirmed), cpu overclock/voltage.

It would be nice to build an AMD rig for once (Haven't had and AMD CPU in my main rig since Opteron 146). I'm hoping for Zen and AM4 to be close to Intel performance, and competitively priced :)

It would be nice to build an AMD rig for once (Haven't had and AMD CPU in my main rig since Opteron 146). I'm hoping for Zen and AM4 to be close to Intel performance, and competitively priced :)
I hope so too, mainly so that Intel is forced to drop their prices, even if it is just a little. I do not know if AMD will have enthusiast mini-itx motherboards out though.

Did you guys get the update mail from Dan? Seems like we won't be getting the case until December

Yea would really appreciate if you guys can post what builds you are planning, I'm pretty much going to copy one of you guys

For a build i would pick:

PSU: Corsair SF450
Storage: 2 x HGST Travelstar 7K1000 which is an 1TB HDD 7200RPM 2.5'' + 500GB SSD
CPU: i7 6700
Mainboard: B150 Chipset (Gigabyte Phoenix, Asus Aura, MSI..)
RAM: 2x8GB 2133mhz
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7
GPU: GTX 1070 FE.

Why?

PSU: Enough power and silent.

Storage i need 2TB, that HDD it's 7200RP and 2.5'' so it's perfect. Plus i want an SSD for S.O + some games and some apps.

CPU: Price difference between i5 6600 and i7 6700 is about 70 euro. I think it's good to invest 70 euro and get an i7. Personal choice, you just can save that amount of money and get the i5, in games you will get the same perfomance.

Motherboard: I don't plain to OC, this chipset it's just stable for the CPU. Most of the B150 ITX chipsets come with Wifi, so it's good too.

RAM: Don't need more than 16GB. 2133mhz because there isn't a difference in gaming with the memory speed and with the B150 chipset memory only works at default 2133mhz speed.

Cooler: Just all around good cooler.

GPU: Nice perfomance for FULL HD / 2K

P.D: I will be waiting for AMD, if they release a good Zen CPU plus a good AMD VEGA GPU i will probably pick an AMD Zen 8-Core CPU + AMD VEGA GPU.

I am still on the fence whether or not I want to get an i7 6700k. I could always undervolt it and have it stick to 4.0 GHz (all cores) at the very worst. I might just wait to see if others even OC the i7 6700K to 4.1-4.2 GHz with their CryOrig C7.

Though, I most likely will wait for Nvidia Volta gpus to come out, which means I will build my PC a year later. My GTX 760 Ncase M1 build should suffice for one more year.

Last edited:
Huge development to the M2 SSD space!

Some retailers already stocking!

512GB M2 SSD for $190
  • Max Sequential Read Up to 1775 MBps
  • Max Sequential Write Up to 560 MBps
  • 4KB Random Read Up to 128,500 IOPS
  • 4KB Random WriteUp to 128,000 IOPS

i5 6500
Gigabyte B150m wifi
Geil Pristine 8GB (1 stick)
Asus 1070 FE
Cryorig C7
Already have these in my atx tower i will need to buy new psu probably from silverstone and sell my wd black and buy a 7200rpm hitachi 2,5 drive (already have ssd from kingston)
and of course dan a4-sfx :)

I'm planning to transplant my current rig, and if there's a 40W Zen part as good or better than my 3570K @4.2 I'll upgrade to that, if not I'm going to get a 6700T and an Asus H170 motherboard that supports standard DDR3.

Huge development to the M2 SSD space!

Some retailers already stocking!

512GB M2 SSD for $190
  • Max Sequential Read Up to 1775 MBps
  • Max Sequential Write Up to 560 MBps
  • 4KB Random Read Up to 128,500 IOPS
  • 4KB Random WriteUp to 128,000 IOPS

Really wish Intel would have gone with a black PCB for these items though…!

Hi guys.My goal is to put E5 2679v4 and new titanx to the case. Does anyone know any coolers that support 2011 narrow ilm socket for Asrock x99 itx motherboard. I saw dynatron t318 and r31 in the list but they are passive cooler.

The dynatron t318 with a low rofile fan is the way to go. Linus dremeled it out to fit the noctua mounting bracket for the 92x14mm fan. Temps aren't amazing but it works.

You can also zip tie the fan to the heatsink.

If the case is shipping in December-ish, I might hold off for Kaby Lake. If Kaby Lake does not look feasible by then (not a fan of being the early adopter for a new platform) probably a system centered around an i7-6700K + 1080ti (hopefully released by then) or Titan X. Cryorg cooler, SF600, and whatever SSD and RAM I can get good deals on.

Alright guys, kinda bad news. As often requested, I quickly tried OCing my 6700K with the C7. In AIDA64 stress test I couldn't even get 4,16GHz without it thermal throttling after 2 minutes, 4,3 throttled after a minute. That said, I left voltage and everything on Auto, just increased the multiplier, so you might be able to get something out of it. Maybe my thermal paste application is bad, although I doubt thats the problem. This test was done in a standard ATX case with 2 case fans. My conclusion is that OC is not really feasible with the C7. On stock clock, it maxes out at 82°C.

Not very helpful on the OC part unless you gonna tell us the voltage :)
I think it's decent 82C on Aida64 that means you will hit ~75 in demanding games.

Im still wondering whether to go kaby lake and transfer my gtx 1080 in december or do a big upgrade one year (?) later from december with cannonlake and volta. My current 3570K and 1080 FE still works great as my primary gaming rig

I already have a cyrorig C7, corsair SF600 waiting for the Dan A4, and recently picked up a corsair K65 Lux RGB and M65 pro mouse for my current gaming rig which will transfer to the next build

Last edited:
Alright guys, kinda bad news. As often requested, I quickly tried OCing my 6700K with the C7. In AIDA64 stress test I couldn't even get 4,16GHz without it thermal throttling after 2 minutes, 4,3 throttled after a minute. That said, I left voltage and everything on Auto, just increased the multiplier, so you might be able to get something out of it. Maybe my thermal paste application is bad, although I doubt thats the problem. This test was done in a standard ATX case with 2 case fans. My conclusion is that OC is not really feasible with the C7. On stock clock, it maxes out at 82°C.

The Auto voltage is known to go wild even for 4.0 Ghz stock i7 6700K. better to just set 1.2V and see if that is stable for a 4.1-4.2 GHz

Has dondan tested M2 SSD on the case?

I believe he has, but IIRC, it was installed on the "top" side of the motherboard, so may have got some airflow from the CPU fan. That having been said, if you were going to use a "back" side M.2 and no other drive mounted on the bottom of the case, you could always try a ~25 - 40x10mm fan on the bottom and blow air upwards at low constant RPMs to help that M.2 cool (if needed). A fan in this location would probably complicate cabling a bit, however. Or you could live with whatever throttling you get, which I would expect to be modest to negligible.

I had an initial idea of going M.2 on my build but have (for the moment, Intel's new products could sway me) decided to go with an 850 Pro instead.

Will there be opportunities to buy additional side panels?

I'd like to have a couple spares for modding - might make a cutout for bigger CPU cooler. It would be like a drag racing car with it's top mount supercharger/intake popping out of the hood :)

Mine crashes at 1.2v with 4.5 Ghz, although a 4790k, with the C7.
Went over 90 degrees and the protection kicks in.
Now i keep it at 1.05v for 4 Ghz and it never goes past 85 in full cpu utilization for video editing and stress tests.
In games the avg is 70-75 degrees, in a Thermaltake V1 mITX, using only the stock 200 fan case.

Can't wait for the A4 maybe things will be cooler then, no more gpu near my M.2 950 Pro 512 GB on the Impact 7. Hence so much heat is gathering near the cpu area in my current case.

4GHz adaptive/offset voltage unlocked i7 would probably be best in terms of noise and performance. I hear that the C7 gets pretty loud especially when overclocked.

The Auto voltage is known to go wild even for 4.0 Ghz stock i7 6700K. better to just set 1.2V and see if that is stable for a 4.1-4.2 GHz

Use a voltage offset. Auto and manual will just max your vcore the entire time. An offset will help reduce power and heat when the system isn't under heavy load. Unless you're running a power profile that is set to maximum performance, there isn't much reason not to use an offset.

I have an older chip, but my 2500k is rated at 1.2v. I run it at 1.16v with an offset and a small overclock. It runs at about 0.840v majority of the time and then ramps up to 1.16v when under load.

Use a voltage offset. Auto and manual will just max your vcore the entire time. An offset will help reduce power and heat when the system isn't under heavy load. Unless you're running a power profile that is set to maximum performance, there isn't much reason not to use an offset.

I have an older chip, but my 2500k is rated at 1.2v. I run it at 1.16v with an offset and a small overclock. It runs at about 0.840v majority of the time and then ramps up to 1.16v when under load.

Ya, I meant to say that. I never really have been a fan of adaptive voltage. I prefer offset more.

as you've shown, 6700k is not recommended for this case because the extra power envelope available to the "k" chip exceeds what the case can reasonably support. save your $50 and get the 6700 non-"k" instead. no performance is missing unless you play benchmarks for fun :)

as you've shown, 6700k is not recommended for this case because the extra power envelope available to the "k" chip exceeds what the case can reasonably support. save your $50 and get the 6700 non-"k" instead. no performance is missing unless you play benchmarks for fun :)

I feel like an under-volted 4GHz i7 6700k should work out just fine. Aircookie did say he ran his 6700K at auto voltage, which is notorious for being as high as 1.25-1.3V for stock/turbo clocks.

My planed build:

CPU: i5-6600K
MB: Z170i pro gaming (will have to slightly recolor it because I really don't like red)
RAM: some random DDR4 16GB RAM
SSD: some M.2 SSD, will have to decide on one and I will just make myself a custom heatsink with my mill to prevent overheating
PSU: SF600

and now my silly idea:
AIO cooler: SilverStone TD03-SLIM
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX
the idea ist to place the AIO cooler behind the GPU via some magnets (glue some low profile magnets onto the case and the radiator)

if this doesn't work (noisy, doesn't fit) I will exchange the GTX 1070 for a long blower style card and I will use my C7 to cool the CPU.

I looked into doing the same thing with the same cooler. I would invert the power supply so the rad would dump the hot air in the psu and then the psu would dump it outside of the case. The Dan A4 only has some 40-45mm clearance for the gpu compartment. The rad with the fan is 37mm but you have the tubes that don't really bend that well and if it doesn't have enough clearance then it might just reduce or stop the flow of the coolant due to the extreme bends.

I would go with the C7 and a full sized GPU. But if you are brave I would love to see if it does fit.

Somebody at HardForum made a thread about undervolting the i7 6700k and there was a hardluxxx review that stated they were able to undervolt using 'offset' -0.16V. I would probably try -0.1 or -0.12V first if you want to undervolt your i7 6700K.

Here is a really good article on i7 Skylake voltage and power consumption.

I'm reading in some build logs that the C7 blocks the back M2 on most ITX motherboards (Asus Z170I being the main one people are using.) Anyone have the C7 and an M2 on their ITX mobo? Sorry if this was discussed already.

Doesnt the asus z170 pro gaming have the m2 slot on the underside of the motherboard? If so theres no chance of interference?

Back