DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Someone actually did something similar: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=230816 I would have used a SFX psu, though...

The problem with these builds is that risers/extension cables are tricky, some are expensive, some are not, some work, some don't. For example, the modder in my link had some problems with his extension cable.
That's actually quite similar to what my friend and I are building (with prototyping with plastic right now). Or at least up to this point without taking apart the PSU:

2762596m.jpg

How are they planning on getting the PCI-e to the back of the motherboard?

laserparts are ordered :D
So i can present you the unbrushed case in two weeks.

I like the design quite a lot. Very H-Frame-esque, which is in no way a bad thing.

I personally have no major objections to an external brick. There'll be plenty of cases slightly larger than this with SFX PSUs being produced for Steam Machines, I'd wager.

The H-Frame like case is my old project the new one is the A4 witch looks more like an Lian or Streamcom.

Awesome build. Mine is a tad bigger but i have a full power supply and a 3.5 HDD. Still needs some work. Im just a bit lazy.
cFCK6wVj6e8BWb8aAW_qRz30opRU78AZEydC7k8ZCtCTyLEVpUil7RzDxiM5cXNi3pDVK5qmAAI

If you tear down a 150x140x64mm psu with 120/140mm fan on the top it should fit just fine in replace of the dc/dc converter board.

I rendered some things up quickly using a 140x140x64mm sidefan psu (taller heatsinks) and even a psu of that sort will fit with minor heatsink modifications.

Also I was experimenting with some liquid cooling options, if the case was about 35mm taller in depth you could fit a full watercooling loop with two 120mm rad's.

the rad's are thin rad's i was planning on using a 12mm fan.

Also note the stacked gpu's I was figuring you could sli/crossfire with the second card being in an x4 pcie slot or something. (With watercooling of course, and a custom sli/xfire bridge)

tkt4K9c.jpg

ch1EQQA.jpg

The problem is you're moving an internal component to "save space", by which he points towards other "space saving" solutions. The problem is this:

dell-laptop-ac-adapter-330w_300x300_2.jpg

It's almost as large as a mainstream GPU. And it is expensive, more expensive than going the way of using a SFX or 1U PSU internally. They also don't have the best reputation for lasting long.

That just moving the problem, not solving the problem. If you don't have space to put a small PC, then getting a very small PC with a bunch of add-ons (needing power bricks seperately maybe) each in a different enclosure isn't more efficient. Then get a laptop and stop kidding yourself that shrinking your computer to the point you're throwing out stuff that you need externally is solving a problem, it's just doing something different.

I don't mind this case and it sure has a good reason to exist, but don't consider an external power brick as a positive aspect, it is not.

It's not about saving "space" in the sense of total liters of all the hardware used to run the computer. Its about saving the space in the main unit and that can be very important. Two smaller things even tether together are easier manage than one item even if its smaller than the combined size of the two other items. There are also aesthetic reasons you can, if you are targeting a look or size for a device that is going to be on the top of a desk or table, being able to work around it with a power adapter you can hide behind it or move to the floor is a big benefit. The result shouldn't be give up and buy a system twice as expensive with its own built in monitor that ends up being unwieldy and large on the desk just not as bad as a tower. And something that in its own needs external power anyways as well.So is it ok for a laptop to not have internal power supply, but its not ok for someone to design a system that doesn't need those other components (specially a sub par crappy monitor).

This day in age it shouldn't be about shoving computers into predefined design philosophies, specially for some DIY home designed case. When you think about the retail DIY market for computers is so wide and so plentiful, should you leave these kinds of projects to hit those niches that even DIY market doesn't have room for?

The first picture of the prototyp. Tomorrow i get the back i/o panel and then you get more pictures. In june the case will get a black powder-coat.

heyyy??? jesus lollipop god on a stick, it looks great! more details man, DETAILS!

I build everything together and the system runs like hell :)

I did a first temperature check with closed case. 30min Prime95 + Heaven Benchmark results in 55°C on the CPU and 75°C on the GPU. More tests comming soon...

In the first post, in the first spoiler you can watch the pictures in fullsize.

Last edited:
this is one of the finest works that i ever saw here, congratulations, i'm impressed.

ah, LOL @ noctua case feet! :D

If you would allow me to make a suggestion.

What about putting the front usb and light and maybe also the back power button on top like here:

And then cut more holes in the front for ventilation and screw holes so we may be able to mount dual 120 mm fans outside?

What about putting the front usb and light and maybe also the back power button on top like here:

That would reduce the obstructions in front of the GPU centrifugal cooler, which couldn't hurt!

Awesome job, can't wait to see it in action (especially those thermals).

I am so incredibly jealous. Can't seem to make the time to get a similar form factor project out of sketch-up.

I'm also very interested in thermals, and the details of the gpu mounting. More pictures!

Yeah, I suck at using sketch-up. My friend would can use sketch-up doesn't want to sink more time and money on our current "acrylic sandwich" project. I'm insisting on having room for a swiftech h220.

Last edited:
Really nice work! I like how you did the mounting for the side panels, which allowed for nice clean, simple bends for the outside of the case (i.e. no corner reliefs).

I wonder how the gpus fare temperature wise for those that are shorter or longer than the gpu the OP used. I ask this because it seems that air flow would be fairly restrictive for a shorter or longer gpu.

I wonder how the gpus fare temperature wise for those that are shorter or longer than the gpu the OP used. I ask this because it seems that air flow would be fairly restrictive for a shorter or longer gpu.

For very short GPUs like the Asus GTX670mini you are right, because the fan is not in the airflow of the two 92mm Noctua fan's. But long cards like my GTX 670, GTX 780 or R9 290 are staying directly in this flow with the radialfan of the GPU. It isn't a problem for the GPU if the radialfan is under the DC-DC Board, because fresh air can reach this area.

7l8jur.png

Thanks for that detailed diagram dondan. Cooling gpu wise makes a lot more sense now.
I kind of wonder if there will be custom cases like the gr8 as that's at 2.5L (nothing against your project, I think it's awesome what you're doing!). It would be cool to see the exact internals of the GR8.

The internal components of the gr8 whould be a motherboard nearly like itx with a soldered 750ti on it. Or a custom 750ti pcb with mxm connector like in the gigabyte brix with nvidia gtx 760. In such a smal case it is impossibke to use standart components like gtx 750 ti low profile. The only possible combination is a thin itx board with a gtx 750 ti over or under it like in my solution. But then the gpu and cpu mlmust use the same heatsink.

Ya, I have a bad feeling it might be a soldered 750ti. A custom 750 ti pcb with an mxm connector would be more ideal, but I don't know about the cost and sophistication of having to do that. I also have a feeling since it's really small and sleek, it might be at least 1k.

That being said, I think your design is pretty much smallest case with good airflow that can use off the shelf computer parts.

Very cool. The only thing I'd rather see is the GPU intake facing out so it could pull fresh air in. There's a link floating around in the M1 thread that talks about the longer PCIe ribbon cables latency being insignificant.

I've got a design in the works myself, using Tinkercad (don't judge me!).

I wish I were more talented with CAD so I had something to show you guys, but right now all I've got are a bunch of 3D boxes :D

Last edited:
Extremely cool! When will be the Kickstarter? I would love to buy one... maybe two!

Nice complement to my M1! :D

Actually i redevellop the backside with atx and gpu cutout and devolping a second Version (A4 Advanced) with internal 1u psu, 120mm AIO Watercooling and pcb risercard for bigger gpu's like titan z with only 1 liter more room (6,8L). But more Information next month. I think the default version with the new backside and colored is final in 5 weeks.

Last edited:
Actually i redevellop the backside with atx and gpu cutout and devolping a second Version (A4 Advanced) with internal 1u psu and pcb risercard for bigger gpu's like titan z with only 1 liter more room (6,8L). But more Information next month. I think the default version with the new backside and colored is final in 5 weeks.

Impressive!

Can't wait! :D

Why not a 1U power supply, along the same-sized edge? They make them 500W+ with high efficiency.

Read my last post ;) Keyword: A4 Advanced
But the ony and only problem of 1u is the noiselevel.
Fsp supports for big customers costimized fan profiles und costimized connectors (2xpcie 6pin+2) like for the evga hadron fsp psu. I will contact fsp to get a testsample or by myself a hadron to get the psu .

Back