DAN A4-SFW: New build - help understanding temperature results

havelock99

n00b
I just finished my dan a4 v3 build with an asrock z390 phantom gaming itx/ac, i5-9600k, black ridge cooler, sf600 platinum, 970 evo ssd, and an evga 1070ti.

It's been a long time since I've built a machine, and short of not realizing you have to plug in both the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors, everything has gone fine.

Now I'm trying to determine if my temperatures are ok. I'm using HWMonitor to view info and running prime95 to test things, partly because I can't really tell what else everyone else is using and how they are doing benchmarking / stability tests.

I replaced the black ridge stock fan with a noctua a9x14 pulling air in from the outside. I also have another a9x14 in the drive bay spot of the case also pulling air in (so that hot air exhausts out the top on its own).

My cpu idles at upper 30s to low 40s, with the mobo and ssd at about the same.
When I start 6 threads of prime95, the package power shows about 90W and the cpu temp hits 70c after a few minutes.

After the test has been running for 10-15 mins, the cpu package power goes up to 130W, which makes the cpu temp hit 94C and the mobo/ssd climb to the low 50s.

After about 25 mins I stopped the test because I don't know how high is too high and I'd like to understand what is going on. Can anyone help me explain why the package power jumps? How high is too high?

I haven't touched any motherboard bios settings so maybe there's some stock config that is causing this?

For the record, I found building in the a4 pretty easy and the black ridge fit just fine without having to remove heatsinks or anything from the asrock.

Thanks!

Setup "Max Long Power Duration" in UEFI and set it to 95W then your CPU will not boost higher and the temps will be much better. But keep in mind Prime temps are not gaming temps. If you have 94°C in Prime gaming temps will be ~ 70-80°C

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Thanks. From some more reading I'm guessing this is AVX that's causing the spike. It seems like a 40mV undervolt is stable through all of that and drops the temps to 88C. I tried 50mV, but prime95 starts throwing errors when it gets to the 120W+ work.

Does that ram overclocking thing whose 3 letter acronym escapes me have any effect on thermals?

XMP? It will increase case temperatures slightly I guess but shouldn't influence the CPU much.

Back