Custom Keyboard Build

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got this keyboard:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PRMV1T6?th=1
6109Y3IxSjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I want to build it, but I've never done it before. I was thinking about going with Cherry switches and cherry caps to avoid any type of interference between the caps and switches, but I'm open to that. I'm not even sure if Cherry are the measure of top end switches anymore. I'd like to use crystal type caps, but I don;t know what brand would work best or have a nice quality for the switches I get, be that Cherry or whatever you all think is better (crystal caps are like pudding caps, but the pudding bottom part is clear, not translucent). I was also going to fill the bottom with liquid silicon to dampened it. The switches need to be able to show the board's RGB through them too.

Any input would be great.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
G.Skill makes a nice set of crystal caps available with white or black tops. the buttons are up to rather you like clicky or not. and there are several ways to add damping too. ebay sells packs of dampers that slip on. the liquid silicone would be difficult but maybe a plastic syringe would make it possible.

i hear Gaterons are good switches, my keyboard is still Cherry, it is just what i am familiar with.

G.Skill makes a nice set of crystal caps available with white or black tops. the buttons are up to rather you like clicky or not. and there are several ways to add damping too. ebay sells packs of dampers that slip on. the liquid silicone would be difficult but maybe a plastic syringe would make it possible.

i hear Gaterons are good switches, my keyboard is still Cherry, it is just what i am familiar with.
I checked the G Skills out. I wish they were better quality. They are ABS and not PBT plastic, and they are not double shot, either. Some reviewers report breakage just form typing. I wish HyperX had clear caps. They seem to be really nice, plus they use PBT plastic and are double shot.

I think I am going with the Kailh White x LTC Box Switch. They get really high marks. Plus, I can't find the Cherrys Clear (RGB) on Amazon in anything but 10 packs for 15 bucks, and I need 70. That's 95 bucks for switches. The Kalih aren't much cheaper, though - $20.00 for 30.

Very few manufacturers make crystals, if you want crystals you will have to sacrifice on quality some. I was looking at pudding caps and found the g.skills crystals on sale for 15$. I like them for what i paid for them.

Have a look at Gateron switches, they are RGB friendly
I did, but the quality from what I researched isn't up to Kalih. Kalih's new lineup is pushing the Cherry quality area, with the whites offering a new patented click switch. Reviewers report a beautiful sound and quality build. Some, however, say the some of them broke or came with bent pins. I got the white version because those are the latest update. I probably would have gone with Cherry blue, but I couldn't find them on Amazon for a decent enough price, except some "wholesale" 'Cherry' switches that come in a pack of 100+ for a price that seems questionable. I'm assuming they are the older Cherry switches. Cherry updated their switches in 2019, and those are the ones you want.

I got the Kalih whites and the HyperX pudding caps.
HyperX Pudding Keycaps - Double Shot PBT Keycap Set with Translucent Layer, for Mechanical Keyboards, Full 104 Key Set, OEM Profile, English (US) Layout - White
61FZ7wf8+dL._AC_SL1428_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099F9G6VQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
61Fh1wqlLWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If I see the GSkillz on sale for 15 bucks, I'll dunk them for sure.

PS--The HyperX pudding caps are both double shot and PBT and 25 bucks. I really like the Crystal style better though. Hopefully HyperX will do it sooner than later.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back