Custom HP ENVY 17 2nd Generation Core i7, 30% CC

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Logic Buy seems to be still running this promotion. 25% OFF on configurations over $1199, 30% OFF configurations over $1399. I threw together a quick configuration for $1800, and it got cut down to $1250 or so. Not bad.

Logic Buy

Tell me when Envy 15 is back...

Don't know why they took it out for..

Huh. I think they consider the two new models "revisions"? The ENVY 14 is really a 14.5", so maybe they thought it was too close?

And the 15" was a 15.6". Also, the 15" was lighter and much thinner then the 14", yet had a much higher end video chip. :(

And the 15" was a 15.6". Also, the 15" was lighter and much thinner then the 14", yet had a much higher end video chip. :(

no shit.... i really wanted one of them too, i wouldn't have bought my MBP if they were still floating around.

Can't think of a reason I'd get a 15.6" over a 14.5" screen. And all I remember hearing about the ENVY 15 was complaints about overheating and the lack of an optical drive. Meh, anyway, it's there if anyone's interested. :)

Can't think of a reason I'd get a 15.6" over a 14.5" screen. And all I remember hearing about the ENVY 15 was complaints about overheating and the lack of an optical drive. Meh, anyway, it's there if anyone's interested. :)

That is the first revision of Envy 15, the second revision fixed those issues..

Are you joking?

Can't think of any reason why i'd get a 15.6" screen over a 17" screen...if you're going to go 14+ you might as well make it a 17 or 18" or decide you want one that's more portable and get an 11-13"...14 and 15 are just kinda middle of the road for laptops to me and i'd rather go big or small, not medium when it comes to my usage of them.

Can't think of any reason why i'd get a 15.6" screen over a 17" screen...if you're going to go 14+ you might as well make it a 17 or 18" or decide you want one that's more portable and get an 11-13"...14 and 15 are just kinda middle of the road for laptops to me and i'd rather go big or small, not medium when it comes to my usage of them.
The point is the Envy 14 is actually overall bigger and heavier then the 15....

Are you joking?
No, not really. Aside from being marginally larger, I don't see the reason for outrage. Maybe I'm overlooking that certain something so obvious it warranted incredulity. If I wanted more real estate, I'd just get the 17.

And cooler, with an optical drive. It's a trade-off. I understand you don't appreciate it, but it's not as if it isn't logical in some sense.

It's not a trade off, its pure style of design.

You can easily fit a optical drive in Envy 15 if they wanted to, but they choose not to.

It's not a trade off, its pure style of design.

You can easily fit a optical drive in Envy 15 if they wanted to, but they choose not to.
Heh, listen I'm not looking for a debate. I was only making the point that the ENVY 14 had an optical drive, and had a roomier chassis, and therefore was heavier and cooler. Sure, you could have put an optical drive in the ENVY 15, and then it would have been heavier. I was just saying that it was a logical thing, and yes, something of a trade-off. I was really stating simple, obvious things, and if everyone wants to pine for the ENVY 15, they are entitled. Just putting forward some information for those who might be interested.

Cheers.

:D

Last edited:
Heh, listen I'm not looking for a debate. I was only making the point that the ENVY 14 had an optical drive, and had a roomier chassis, and therefore was heavier and cooler. Sure, you could have put an optical drive in the ENVY 15, and then it would have been heavier. I was just saying that it was a logical thing, and yes, something of a trade-off. I was really stating simple, obvious things, and if everyone wants to pine for the ENVY 15, they are entitled. Just putting forward some information for those who might be interested.

Cheers.

:D

The only thing the 14 had over the 15 was the optical drive. And that's not even anything. I haven't even used the optical drive in my desktop in like a year.

My 15 was plenty cool, even with the massive overclock the 5830 could take. (something like 45%) I did alot of gaming on it.

too bad this doesn't work for the 14

I think even 14 is probably too big for me

too bad this doesn't work for the 14

I think even 14 is probably too big for me

Can..'t... re...sist... THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! Ahhh, much better.

The 5830 in the Envy 15 is a major jump in power from what's in the 14 -- I'd say it's the winner.

I'll give you guys a heads up. Hp's customer support is Bull shit and their service policies are absolutely BS. I have an envy 14 with a radiance display...$2400 machine..and the panel had a row of stuck pixels. After contacting them 3 times and getting confirmation they said they'd replace it with a radiance panel. I got it back and I didnt get a radiance panel. they claimed the company who made them went out of business. I asked them the name, they didnt know.
I'm sure LG display, samsung, AUO optronics or Chungmei went out of business. It's a line of BS and they just didnt feel like ordering a big enough shipment of radiance displays from the panel manufacturers. I remember hearing that on either isupply or digitimes.
Now It's been 4 weeks and they are still "looking for a replacement panel" or they will end up giving me an envy 17, which i dont want.
I am most likely gonna get a dell M4600, cause at least they keep parts stock and have someone fix the computer right in front of you. Not send it in and wait for your laptop in limbo.

I'll give you guys a heads up. Hp's customer support is Bull shit and their service policies are absolutely BS. I have an envy 14 with a radiance display...$2400 machine..and the panel had a row of stuck pixels. After contacting them 3 times and getting confirmation they said they'd replace it with a radiance panel. I got it back and I didnt get a radiance panel. they claimed the company who made them went out of business. I asked them the name, they didnt know.
I'm sure LG display, samsung, AUO optronics or Chungmei went out of business. It's a line of BS and they just didnt feel like ordering a big enough shipment of radiance displays from the panel manufacturers. I remember hearing that on either isupply or digitimes.
Now It's been 4 weeks and they are still "looking for a replacement panel" or they will end up giving me an envy 17, which i dont want.
I am most likely gonna get a dell M4600, cause at least they keep parts stock and have someone fix the computer right in front of you. Not send it in and wait for your laptop in limbo.

Were you calling the envy specific support number? sometimes it can be hard to find. I was lucky to not have any probs with my 15 until I sold it.

I think you will like the M4600, seems like a natural choice from an envy, but more hardcore. clean functional design. I am using an M6600 right now :) Want to see if I can overclock the Quadro 3000M (GTX 470M in disguise) One thing, is the brick that came with this system was the largest I have ever seen. 240 fucking watts, makes the huge envy 15 brick look like a little bitch.

Ever call the HP outlet? I have their number in my phone if you can't find it. I got an Envy 14 with the exact specs I wanted, the guy gave me an extra 10% off, I got all my questions answered, and it was basically pro. I also haven't had any trouble with their support, they even sent me a box overnight with an overnight label and overnighted the laptop back to me (yes, 3x overnights at their expense). Then it turned out the problem was my own fault and I felt bad...

Thanks for the comments guys, but unfortunately, HP didnt have a single radiance panel in stock anywhere in their wearhouses, so they gave me an envy 17 with a 1920x1080 "3D" panel instead. Well, I still haven't got it, but I went ahead and got a Dell m4600 anyway. a 17's too big for lecture hall desks. I had enough of Hp's support anyway, this whole thing took just about a month.

Back