Custom DIY SATA cables?

Segfault

Weaksauce
Everyone wants their computer to look neat inside. Well, I do. Good for airflow, too. I have a bag full of SATA cables, yet the cables in use in my computers are not perfect length. Out of boredom I searched net and found DIY SATA connectors are sold. Has anyone used these to make custom length SATA cables? All ideas and experience are welcome.

If you need shorter ones look up spares on Ebay for Dell machines. I had plenty of 6" etc. cables at one point.

Uh, after placing the order I found out they ship from Hong-Kong. I received an air mail tracking number and then ... nuttin'. After a week a message. Due to COVID all air mail is canceled. Will ship using alternate method. And ... didn't take long. About four and half months, and the package made appearance in my mailbox. By then I had lost interest. Now I happened to see this old thread and I think I'll try it out ... if I can find the package ... dammit ... must be somewhere here ...

lmao, sounds just like what happened when I ordered a fan adapter cable for my Asus card so that I could deshroud it and replace the fans with some Noctuas for an ITX build. It took so long (~4mos) that I'd completely given up on it and just went with an entirely different gpu for that build.

data cables scare me, I do not understand the shielding that seems to be a critical component of a good cable.
what wire are you planning to use ?
I like the idea of using a good dedicated cable for whatever data, sata in this case, cut an end off and put the new end on where the length is correct.
getting the shielding done right seems important and I have read nothing good on exactly how that works.

data cables scare me, I do not understand the shielding that seems to be a critical component of a good cable.
what wire are you planning to use ?
I like the idea of using a good dedicated cable for whatever data, sata in this case, cut an end off and put the new end on where the length is correct.
getting the shielding done right seems important and I have read nothing good on exactly how that works.
The issue with the grounding around a cable is properly reattaching it. It's pretty much impossible to solder as it just falls apart. Hard to do yourself.

The issue with the grounding around a cable is properly reattaching it. It's pretty much impossible to solder as it just falls apart. Hard to do yourself.
exactly.
they do it, so it is possible, but how seems to be a secret.

Hold your horses, what shielding and grounding? I thought I'll take a long (too long) SATA cable and make two short ones from it by cutting it and soldering a new connectors on them. To my knowledge there is no shielding and grounding in these cables. Yes, I am aware of tuned cables where wavelength and such come into play, I think old coaxial IBM network cables required proper shield soldering. And SCSI cables needed termination for similar reasons, but there was no shielding.
The trouble for me lies elsewhere, I'm getting old and although my hand can still hold the soldering iron my left eye is weak, without stereoscopic vision soldering these tiny cables is challenging.

Back