current best air coolers

That's not even a good deal. You can get a Frost Spirit 140 for <$28 which is better than the Peerless Assassin 120. If you don't have the space for the Frost Spirit 140, you can get the Phantom Spirit 120, which is the same size as the Peerless Assassin 120 and a direct upgrade in every way (including better fans), for about $35 also... So why on earth would anyone buy a Peerless Assassin 120 for $35?
the pa120 is $32-35, always has been, the ps120 is $34-38. the FS140 just happens to be on sale at the moment, its normally $38-40. all of them have been posted numerous times. you are right though, that going ps120 is the better option for the $2.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Peerless-Assassin-Aluminium-Technology/dp/B09YTL3JT5
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-PS120SE-TL-C12B-Technilogy-Bearing/dp/B0BNGVWL98
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Cooler-Aluminium-Heatsink-Technology/dp/B09P34RVPX

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the pa120 is $32-35, always has been, the ps120 is $34-38. the FS140 just happens to be on sale at the moment, its normally $38-40. all of them have been posted numerous times.
Ya, the PA120 is a couple bucks less than when I bought one last week. Also the PA120 has the ARGB fan version if you are into that. (I am.) I was also able to buy 3x matching ARGB fans for the case for $12.

That's not even a good deal. You can get a Frost Spirit 140 for <$28 which is better than the Peerless Assassin 120. If you don't have the space for the Frost Spirit 140, you can get the Phantom Spirit 120, which is the same size as the Peerless Assassin 120 and a direct upgrade in every way (including better fans), for about $35 also... So why on earth would anyone buy a Peerless Assassin 120 for $35?
Well... obviously deals are just that... deals.

Maybe I got my Peerless Assassin for $5, then your Frost Spirit 140 at $28 is absolute crap, right?

Anyway, if this becomes a "my deal is bigger than your deal" thread.... etc.... etc...

Well... obviously deals are just that... deals.

Maybe I got my Peerless Assassin for $5, then your Frost Spirit 140 at $28 is absolute crap, right?

Anyway, if this becomes a "my deal is bigger than your deal" thread.... etc.... etc...

No one said anything was "crap". Ditch the emo melodrama, we're just talking about heatsinks here.

My point is simply that, IMO, the Peerless Assassin is overpriced at this point. Maybe not by much, and it's certainly not a bad heatsink by any means, but there are basically always deals on at least one version of the Phantom Spirit or Frost Spirit where you're either getting something better for cheaper or only paying a dollar or two more at most.

It just seems to me that the Peerless Assassin 120 variants have become a lot like the Cooler Master 212 variants, in that people kept buying them long after they were past their prime simply due to name recognition and inertia.

No one said anything was "crap". Ditch the emo melodrama, we're just talking about heatsinks here.
Whoa honey child... I guess were going from "my deal is bigger than your deal" to a totally new off topic direction...

Whoa honey child... I guess were going from "my deal is bigger than your deal" to a totally new off topic direction...

I'm not sure what you're discussing, but I'm talking about air coolers in an air cooler thread. And yes, price is absolutely relevant to the discussion. "Deals" aren't irrelevant, especially when those deals last months and there are perpetually always several models on sale.

I'm not sure what you're discussing, but I'm talking about air coolers in an air cooler thread. And yes, price is absolutely relevant to the discussion. "Deals" aren't irrelevant, especially when those deals last months and there are perpetually always several models on sale.
What? No, read your posts. You were strictly talking deals and pooping on anyone else because your deal was bigger. You went "off range" a while back.

What? No, read your posts. You were strictly talking deals and pooping on anyone else because your deal was bigger. You went "off range" a while back.

I re-read my posts, and I'm still not seeing anything off-topic. So clean the sand out of your vagina or put me on ignore, because I won't be changing what I post about in the future.

They are all good deals when compared to Noctua, as long as they can handle the heat load. I like Thermalright as a company but dang they have a lot of very similar designs in the same relative space...

I find it interesting that the Frost Spirit 140 looks almost exactly like the Peerless Assassin SE just in 140 and yet cheaper (edit - oh it's 1 120mm and 1 140mm, hmm $6 less for 1 smaller fan, hmmm)

I find it interesting that the Frost Spirit 140 looks almost exactly like the Peerless Assassin SE just in 140 and yet cheaper (edit - oh it's 1 120mm and 1 140mm, hmm $6 less for 1 smaller fan, hmmm)
because its on sale.

Actually grabbed one of those $28 FS140s. Just bought a "used - very good" Lian Li V3000+ off Amazon for "only" $278. Sadly my pc really doesn't see any gameplay anymore and I don't feel like diving into redoing my waterloop for a pc that just doesn't get used much. Figured one of these will keep the 7900X cool and can't be beat on the price.

Just got the FS140 delivered. Wow. Largest air cooler I've ever owned. That's a hefty piece of hardware and the rubber corners on the fans are neat, too.

Criminally cheap. Impressive.
Just looked at it. Freaking huge.

It probably isn't the "best" but for $32~ the PA120 is pretty excellent, no complaints using it w/ my I7-12700K excellent cooler and value.

It probably isn't the "best" but for $32~ the PA120 is pretty excellent, no complaints using it w/ my I7-12700K excellent cooler and value.
There is a phrase that stuck with me from Jeremy Clarkson years and years ago. "As near as makes no difference". Covers a lot of stuff in this hobby.

Been awhile since I've messed with metal fan clips. Get spoiled on using screws lol.

IMG_20240322_163649.jpg

Back