Cure possible?

res

n00b
My LG 32UD99-W, two years of age, has a problem. It developed recently sort of a burn in, where the task bar logo and browser logo would remain as a ghost image in the corners. Suggestion was to run a pixel exerciser, that could help to get rid also of these issues. I ran one that had black and white checkered boxes for several hours and it made the issue much worse. Now I have a yellow/violet vignette around the display corners.

I assume it is panel damage, but perhaps there's something that can be done?

there are burn in fixer youtube vides with cycling colors, try one of those, full screen obviously. and welcome to [H]!

Thanks. I forgot to say that I ran one with flashing RGB colours also, but no improvement.

Perhaps I need to do it longer, but I saw no change after half a day running it.

Thanks. I forgot to say that I ran one with flashing RGB colours also, but no improvement.

Perhaps I need to do it longer, but I saw no change after half a day running it.
i let them run over night usually, and you should turn the brightness up and disable power savings too.

i let them run over night usually, and you should turn the brightness up and disable power savings too.
What would be the reason for advice that brightness is turned all the way up?
In theory for LCD it doesn't matter and backlight could be completely turned off.

In practice there might be a difference because LEDs do use electricity and generate some heat and since issue is in the corners they will be slightly warmed up by the LEDs thus the slight difference it might make. But if burning lifespan of LEDs just to slightly warm LCD panel is good idea I would not say. I have no idea if such pixel fixing procedure works better at higher temp vs lower temp and to me it seems that even if it does then using 100% brightness for hours just to increase temperature of the panel on the edges is not very good idea. Lifespan of LED and most electric light sources is heavily dependent on how much juice you put in to them and it is not linear relation. I would try running panel for nights with minimum brightness and this 100% brightness only as a last ditch attempt before recycling it ;)

BTW. It would help if monitor would not display any of the patterns that are burned in between these pixel fixers so no taskbar and no browser logo etc. but more like play some videos on it, games, etc. something non static and not related to taskbars and programs :)

What would be the reason for advice that brightness is turned all the way up?
In theory for LCD it doesn't matter and backlight could be completely turned off.

In practice there might be a difference because LEDs do use electricity and generate some heat and since issue is in the corners they will be slightly warmed up by the LEDs thus the slight difference it might make. But if burning lifespan of LEDs just to slightly warm LCD panel is good idea I would not say. I have no idea if such pixel fixing procedure works better at higher temp vs lower temp and to me it seems that even if it does then using 100% brightness for hours just to increase temperature of the panel on the edges is not very good idea. Lifespan of LED and most electric light sources is heavily dependent on how much juice you put in to them and it is not linear relation. I would try running panel for nights with minimum brightness and this 100% brightness only as a last ditch attempt before recycling it ;)

BTW. It would help if monitor would not display any of the patterns that are burned in between these pixel fixers so no taskbar and no browser logo etc. but more like play some videos on it, games, etc. something non static and not related to taskbars and programs :)
i guess i should have googled the monitor. i saw burn in and assumed oled or plasma... his ips panel shouldnt get burn in.

LCD image retention is usually pretty short lived. Move your taskbar and switch to a different browser and it'll probably relax back to normal in a week or so.

LCDs can burn in when run for a long time with the same image, especially at higher temps.
I burned in an LCD used to make a projector, it ran pretty warm.
It took a couple of years to become a problem.
The panel suffered accidental damage so I didnt get to try a fix.

Anti burn in tools basically age the whole panel faster and work quicker at higher temp, probably needed with an LCD because they are slow to burn in.
As mentioned above, turn the light up to max and leave it running for a long time.
Multiple sittings until you see a difference, that will give you some idea of how long it will take to make more difference.
Dont be surprised if you can never get rid of it completely, especially if you continue to display the same image that caused it.

It pays to not let displays run hot.

My LG 32UD99-W, two years of age, has a problem. It developed recently sort of a burn in, where the task bar logo and browser logo would remain as a ghost image in the corners. Suggestion was to run a pixel exerciser, that could help to get rid also of these issues. I ran one that had black and white checkered boxes for several hours and it made the issue much worse. Now I have a yellow/violet vignette around the display corners.

I assume it is panel damage, but perhaps there's something that can be done?

The display corner issue seems to be a problem with 4K LG monitors from the 2017/2018 year model range. Funny thing is they are still manufacturing these models, but have never fixed the problem. I've seen this happen to 32UD99s manufactured in 2020 and even 2021. All 32UD99s are kind of on a doomsday timer, you don't know if its a few weeks, a few months, or in a year or so, but they will all get that glowing corner rot issue. I don't know why they still manufacture these panels or why they don't bother fixing it. But it generally means if you buy one, you will be replacing it at least once during warranty. And once warranty runs out, I guess you just dump it and buy a different monitor. For an ~$850 monitor its really a sad state of affairs though, especially with its outdated tech.

Newer models from 2019 onwards like the 32UL950 don't seem to have this problem.

Last edited:
Running an anti-burn video only accelerates the issue. So with time it gets worse (accelerated by my attempt to fix it). Now I have a real orange glow around the top/bottom/left and the right corners get increasingly orange, too. Can't work properly like that and have no means for again another new monitor.
Funny is, knowing about LG's one year warranty, I had my doubts whether to purchase or not. Shame Dell's 32" had horrible light bleeding, otherwise I'd have kept it.

I used my Dell 27" for over 8 years prior and thought panel technology would have developed. It looks as if it has degraded.

Any other ideas? What seemed to decrease the issue was to not use the monitor for some time, but it is the only one I have, so I have to use it all the time.

Running an anti-burn video only accelerates the issue. So with time it gets worse (accelerated by my attempt to fix it). Now I have a real orange glow around the top/bottom/left and the right corners get increasingly orange, too. Can't work properly like that and have no means for again another new monitor.
Funny is, knowing about LG's one year warranty, I had my doubts whether to purchase or not. Shame Dell's 32" had horrible light bleeding, otherwise I'd have kept it.

I used my Dell 27" for over 8 years prior and thought panel technology would have developed. It looks as if it has degraded.

Any other ideas? What seemed to decrease the issue was to not use the monitor for some time, but it is the only one I have, so I have to use it all the time.
well shit, sorry. no not really. is the monitor level with your eye. off angles might make it worse looking. also, its not set to "warm" color mode is it?

PictureMode is on Photo, Brightness 100% and GameAdjust (FreeSynch) is Extended.

I didn't expect there to be a solution. The panel is junk, evidently.

PictureMode is on Photo, Brightness 100% and GameAdjust (FreeSynch) is Extended.

I didn't expect there to be a solution. The panel is junk, evidently.
color temp? photo mode seems odd, unless youre doing photos i guess.
yeah im seeing more and more complaints....

Do you mean goes away over time, or upon changing the setting? It is there regardless of setting or brightness, as if it is a picture. I doubt it will go away, but I will test it. Thanks.

Brightness changed to 75% with the changing of colour temp, but it looks about the same as 100%. Higher brightness heats thing up a bit more, wonder if it was a contributing factor running the monitor on 100%.

yeah after changing it.
could be. ive seen some pics from others with what i would assume is the same issue. think it was a model prone to issues like this and others.

Still keeps creeping in on the right side. I guess it a lost cause, but thanks for the help.

A lot of people give bad advice about LcD image retention and burn in based on plasma, Oled (emissive tech), when it makes things worse for LCD. If it does not fad naturally after lowering brightness and moving your taskbar (top or sides) it’s not going away and there’s nothing to be done about it.
PSA: Do not try running image patterns on an LCD it will make things worse.

Back