Crytek Office Closed - Another one bites the dust (Shanghai)

BiH115

Gif Guy

Damn shame. Not the first we've heard of something like this.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Crytek was struggling for a long time now.

And it's not hard to see why. They didn't innovate, they kept old licensing arrangements in place for their engine for too long, while UE was basically free since 2.5. You only needed to pay once you released a product.

As for games, Ryse was a flop, despite being a quality product. And Afaik they only released that vr climbing game since, which was already aimed at a restricted market, and even at that a very obscure niche product, so even if it was a blazing success it wouldn't have pulled them out of the water.

I don't even see why an already struggling developer thought it was a good idea to invest in such a way.

Not that you can't make money off niche markets, but you need a connection to the people interested in the market. And you need more hands on approach for that. Like the train simulator games which is also a niche market, but they are selling dlc after dlc like there is no tomorrow.

Sorry I went on rambling like that but crytek's fate feels closer as I used to know people from their long closed hungarian office who made Crysis: Warhead.

But I've never enjoyed a Crytek game.

Still disappointed I bought Crysis 3 on release day. Most boring game I ever played, even if it was pretty.

Reactions: spine
like this
Crytek was struggling for a long time now.

And it's not hard to see why. They didn't innovate, they kept old licensing arrangements in place for their engine for too long, while UE was basically free since 2.5. You only needed to pay once you released a product.

As for games, Ryse was a flop, despite being a quality product. And Afaik they only released that vr climbing game since, which was already aimed at a restricted market, and even at that a very obscure niche product, so even if it was a blazing success it wouldn't have pulled them out of the water.

I don't even see why an already struggling developer thought it was a good idea to invest in such a way.

Not that you can't make money off niche markets, but you need a connection to the people interested in the market. And you need more hands on approach for that. Like the train simulator games which is also a niche market, but they are selling dlc after dlc like there is no tomorrow.

Sorry I went on rambling like that but crytek's fate feels closer as I used to know people from their long closed hungarian office who made Crysis: Warhead.

No problem, I feel exactly the same way. It's as if you pulled the thoughts out of my head and typed them out. I'm sure we've discussed ad nauseam on here, but figured I'd post this.

Hmm....I wonder if this will affect Wolcen, its using the Crytek engine.

Still disappointed I bought Crysis 3 on release day. Most boring game I ever played, even if it was pretty.
Crysis 3 was not that great. I didn't even finish it. But FarCry, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Crysis 2 are the best fps games I've ever played.

I've never played Ryse or Warface, but I enjoyed their other games. In the case of Far Cry, I'd say it's probably an all-time favorite. The first 1/2 of Crysis was really good. Warhead had fun pacing.
I liked Crysis 3 more than 2, but both were still good.
I'd love to see someone port Far Cry over to one of their newer engines. The graphics are the only things that would keep Far Cry from being better than anything modern.

its a shame to see them go ..far cry 1 was a great game for its time .. i recently reinstalled it
Crysis warhead i gota get back to and replay .. that game was indeed well done In my opinion one of the best FPS games i played back then ..but all those OLD good dev houses are going away it seems

As much as i loved some of their games they made some dumb ass decisions. For instance Crysis decent story should have been a good follow-up to that. What do they do? Scrap the island, scrap the main protagonist, actually kill the protagonist in a comic no one would read, limit the game etc And all for what? Console money! And look how far that has gotten them!

Crysis 3 was not that great. I didn't even finish it. But FarCry, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Crysis 2 are the best fps games I've ever played.
Each to their own, I suppose. The only one of the Crytek games I played was Crysis 2, and I thought it was a horrible game. Very console-like, and the worst part was the trip-line swarm of enemies. Clear out an area of enemies, walk back to the entry area, then take one step to far, and another swarm of enemies appears from no where. Enter a new area - all is quiet, not a single character - not even a lowly rat - to be found anywhere on the map. Take one more step.....Yep, a swarm of enemies coming out of no where. I quit and probably wasn't 1/4 of the way through the game. No desire to go back.

If Crysis 2 is the example of one of their better games, no surprise and no tears from me that they couldn't make it.

Far cry is one of my favorite games ever, it really took all the piss out of doom 3. Even the console iterations far cry (instincts/evolution) were good games very ambitious for the hardware with a great level editor/multiplayer and gameplay that was very much a prelude to crysis with all of its suit powers.

I feel like the original team was gutted after crysis 1, even warhead felt like a downgrade. Crysis 2, a genuinely awful game and is probably one for the most disappointing games i've ever played. It's like it was made by a different company completely and offered nothing in the way of what their past games did. I don't even blame consoles for ruining it, i blame cross platform development. They should have just made different games catered to the hardware like they did with far cry.

Crysis 3 was still bad, gameplay felt exactly like crysis 2 slow and clumsy with slightly more open levels and more graphical gimmicks, never finished it.

They expanded very quickly, tried to get into the free to play market and failed there. Had they focused on their engine while renaming a game developer while a few studios and made one or two decent titles they'd be much better off. Outside of released games, essentially no AAA game has even used the engine aside from the upcoming Prey. The Homefront game that came out recently was okay, but very rushed. Suppose that counts as a AAA game to, but clearly not up to par quality wise.

Far Cry is what put ATi on the map as a major contender when they released the 9700 Pro.

lol cryteks not dead guys.. the crytek shanghai studio only made games for the chinese/asian market, crysis and the crytek engine is made at the ukraine based studio.

Who the hell would keep working at a job for almost 8 months with out getting paid? I'm sure employees would know that the studio is having rough times and would leave the second I didn't get paid.

lol cryteks not dead guys.. the crytek shanghai studio only made games for the chinese/asian market, crysis and the crytek engine is made at the ukraine based studio.
No one suggested crytek is gone. Yet.
But the fact remains that all but one of their offices has closed recently. Their prospects are not great.

Dont even remind me of that bland boring turd. I never felt so bored playing such a good looking game.

No one suggested crytek is gone. Yet.
But the fact remains that all but one of their offices has closed recently. Their prospects are not great.
Didnt they also close the Ausitn, Tx office too? I was planning on working there, but last i heard it closed down. Glad i missed that bullet.

Didnt they also close the Ausitn, Tx office too? I was planning on working there, but last i heard it closed down. Glad i missed that bullet.
All their offices are closed except for the one in Kiev. So that means even their former HQ in Germany.
Surely that's the cheapest to upkeep, lowest wages, lowest rent. It's likely cheaper than Shanghai.

Crysis 2 by far is the worst Crysis I have ever played.

Crysis 2 graphic is just awful at the time and tweaked for consoles.

Crysis 2 wasn't as good in graphics as the rest of the crytek games. On the plus side it ran perfectly on my computer at release, which none of the other games did.

But does slightly worse but still great graphics make it a bad game? Not by a long shot. Gameplay wise it's one of the best if not the best crytek fps.

Crysis 2 by far is the worst Crysis I have ever played.

Crysis 2 graphic is just awful at the time and tweaked for consoles.

Yep. Also, Crysis 1 was great. The killing koreans part was probably the most fun. Aliens part was kinda meh, but nice graphics.

I really loved crysis (OG) every title afterwards was a fuck you.

die already crytek.

I liked FarCry, Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, Crysis 2, and Crysis 3. Unfortunately, we probably won't ever see proper sequels to any of those games at this rate.

That shit Ubisoft puts out isn't a proper FarCry sequel.

Back