Crappy reception

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I have a cheapish Moto G7 Play. I have very poor reception. I thought it was my carrier so I changed. No differance. Had a friend over with a budget phone and it showed with multiple bars where I have mostly none and will even drop MSM many night.
Do I just have a bad radio/modem whatever it is called? My last Moto worked quite well.
Is there certain brands that I should look at as a replacement?

It's might be the band support. Some unlocked phones may not support all LTE bands which certain carriers use certain bands only. It's common where a phone is sold overseas and is not officially sold state side

It's might be the band support. Some unlocked phones may not support all LTE bands which certain carriers use certain bands only. It's common where a phone is sold overseas and is not officially sold state side
It is a U.S. unlocked. Today I put my sim card in my older cracked screen Moto and I go multi-bar great reception.
So do I have a borked phone with a shitty modem/radio/antenna? It gets great reception when I am in town, but the older phone just blew it away at my address.

Who is your carrier. Not all phones are designed the same. Also not signal bars are the same. Run a speed test using an app from each phone in the same location and see if there is a difference in throughput and latency.

Don't know what that means?
Ability to make phone calls and send messages via WiFi.

I always keep my phone in plane mode with WiFi enable when I'm at home. All calls and messages come through. These modern houses are so energy efficient here in Finland that the block signals really efficiently, so it's better this way.
Screenshot_20220115_001435.jpg

What provider and what phone? Some US providers - primarily Verizon and AT&T - do limit which phones they'll "allow" to use Wi-Fi Calling. If you're using one of those or a reseller that uses their towers, you may not be able to activate Wi-FI Calling.

If using an Android phone then you could also install CellMapper and check with band(s) your phone is connecting to. And then check www.cellmapper.net to look for nearby towers for your provider, and the bands that they broadcast. And also do an online search to find which bands your phone supports.

It is a Moto G7 Play and my provider is Telus in Canada. I was with Rogers but the reception sucked, or so I thought, and switched as Telus is the best reception in the area. I complained at the Telus store and the clerk set my phone to 3G preferred as that is more reliable according to them. Didn't help.
My older Moto was a Verizon unlocked. Get solid reception from my limited testing with my SIM card swap. My G7 Play is a factory unlocked.

Telus seems to support wifi calling and VoLTE. If Moto G7 Play supports it the those settings should be buried somewhere in mobile connections settings.

Back