Craigslist finds

Picked up a 9700K $100. BUT Only functions when RAM is in 2nd and 3rd slot so single channel RAM. (Delid gone wrong) I knew this info prior to purchasing, still think it's decent.

Saw a neighbor throwing out a computer which I helped myself to it for free.

It contained:

-Intel i7-970 (6 core/12 threads)
-ASUS X58 Rampage III black edition with the Audio/Lan card.
-(4x6GB) 24GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
-Corsair HX1050
-Generic steel case with acrylic side panel from the late 90s.

Lucky enough, I have two set of un-used Corsair HX-1050 module cables.

I only got it to POST so far but haven't tested it out yet.

Last edited:
Thanks I got lucky, there was a dude on FB marketplace I was talking to about shipping a p400 from LA for $80, but with this one dropping in my lap it was a steal (he was asking 75 I offered $60 and he accepted).
Up and running in my plex docker now, I just have to figure out how to do the unlimited stream patch ~ though I dont think I've ever had more than a 2 stream load anyway so I might just leave it as is.

With a quadro cards I don't think there's a nvidia artificial limitation. GTX/RTX cards you have to use patch. I'm new Plex just getting ready to build a server.

Craigslist free, on the curb for trash day

20200510_195642.jpg

Craigslist free, on the curb for trash day

View attachment 244549

If someone is throwing those Klipsch Promedia away, they probably are trashed. Blown amp probably and not worth fixing. Still, if I saw those in the alley I would pick them up and try to see if any of it was salvageable. I bought my current set in 2000 and still rocking, but I did have to replace the amp after a full house surge about 10 years ago.

Costco has a new set on sale right now for $100. Pretty sure I paid $400ish for mine about 20 years ago (but that was also the 4.1 set which they don't sell anymore)

I found an EVGA GTX 970 SC in excellent condition for $150. It's sad that I feel that is a deal. Damn GPU shortage.

Some possible good news: Mining might take a big hit in July. If so, GPUs would flood the market in a few months. https://decrypt.co/60395/upgrade-reduce-supply-ethereum-gets-launch-date-eip-1559
Really? The way I interpret the changes is just the transactional stuff is going to be revamped.
That doesn't look like it largely affects the mining directly yet.

Last edited:
I found an EVGA GTX 970 SC in excellent condition for $150. It's sad that I feel that is a deal. Damn GPU shortage.

Some possible good news: Mining might take a big hit in July. If so, GPUs would flood the market in a few months. https://decrypt.co/60395/upgrade-reduce-supply-ethereum-gets-launch-date-eip-1559
Tulips brah, Tulips--that's where the real money is at: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
12352.jpg

It's really sad to see the gpu prices back up to where they were in the last mining craze...we all know how that one ended too...:rolleyes: Those who never study history I guess are doomed to repeat it...

Tulips brah, Tulips--that's where the real money is at: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 336456

It's really sad to see the gpu prices back up to where they were in the last mining craze...we all know how that one ended too...:rolleyes: Those who never study history I guess are doomed to repeat it...
I am a believer in crypto currency, at least in the two big ones, BTC and ETH. Think of it as gold and silver, but it is more rare (grows much less), and is much more liquid than precious metals (you literally can sell it in seconds 24/7). It is a store of value. I own some for diversification. In a time of unlimited money printing, the shit is going to hit the fan at some point and currencies will weaken in a big way. Crypto has been a good thing for me at least, I bought $18K worth and now it's...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-204140_Coinbase.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-204140_Coinbase.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am a believer in crypto currency, at least in the two big ones, BTC and ETH. Think of it as gold and silver...
I can't get behind something that seems to suck in more than it produces. Most people mining the stuff last time realized that if they would have just bought it (or even another investment) they would have had a better ROI with a lot less work. Not to mention cryptos are still things that have a value that far exceeds their current practical use--just like the tulip bubble.

Something will have a value as long as it has some use. If the world completely went to hell, I'm pretty sure gold and silver would be needed to rebuild it. Cryptos? Not so much.

Almost any investment a year ago has had a good return, so your results don't surprise me--just keep in mind that when things go up that fast without any real fundamentals behind it, they will crash back just as quickly at some point. Just like how the mining craze bubbled up and popped last time...and then gpu prices will return to normal again...

Here’s one.
:O

I wonder why she is being evicted...

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/pet/d/kansas-city-am-being-evicted-and-need/7287866289.html

I sent this to my buddy and told him I told her to bring them all to his address and drop them off in cardboard boxes in front of his house at 3am. ;)
View attachment 336731

Man I like cats but SIXTEEN? Can you imagine what that place smells like..... I hate cleaning 2 litter boxes, cannot imagine doing 16. Assuming they are all good with boxes, some cats just go anywhere. I've had a couple like that

Man I like cats but SIXTEEN? Can you imagine what that place smells like..... I hate cleaning 2 litter boxes, cannot imagine doing 16. Assuming they are all good with boxes, some cats just go anywhere. I've had a couple like that
Growing up we had a neighbor couple with 25 cats. You could smell how bad the place smelled just walking by their house from the street. It was foul. When we went to visit them, it was so intense it took your breathe away.

Reminds me of a comedian joke I heard once:

Q. Can you smell I have a house cat?
A. No, but I can smell you have a box with turds in it.

Growing up we had a neighbor couple with 25 cats. You could smell how bad the place smelled just walking by their house from the street. It was foul. When we went to visit them, it was so intense it took your breathe away.

Reminds me of a comedian joke I heard once:

Q. Can you smell I have a house cat?
A. No, but I can smell you have a box with turds in it.

LOL it's not the turds its the ammonia in the cat pee. Some people can not smell it. We had a friend over to cat-sit for us for a week while on a cruise. Got back home, walked in the door and all I could smell was cat piss. My male cat had a urine blockage and he was pissing everywhere except the box. She didn't even smell it. I had to rent a machine to clean my carpets and scrub my furniture. Kitty ended up needing surgery which cost a fortune and I wish we hadn't done it... his personality totally changed and he became super asshole kitty. But that's a whole different story.

Took me a moment to realize what a scorcher this turned out to be. Got this 1TB SN850 for $130 from OfferUp last weekend. Seller only put 1TBW on it. Trying to get another but these suckers are closer to $180-200

View attachment 353345
Why were they selling it? There's actually fake SSDs being sold on the classifieds platforms. The scammers never rest. (n)

Why were they selling it? There's actually fake SSDs being sold on the classifieds platforms. The scammers never rest. (n)
He was parting out an entire 10700K system. Definitely considered it as a possible fake, but I brought stock photos to compare his PCB. He also had 30+ feedback and over 100 sales on the platform. If it's a fake SN850, it's a really good one, down to the matching firmware and advertised speeds:

1620223497399.png

1620223600674.png

He was parting out an entire 10700K system. Definitely considered it as a possible fake, but I brought stock photos to compare his PCB. He also had 30+ feedback and over 100 sales on the platform. If it's a fake SN850, it's a really good one, down to the matching firmware and advertised speeds:

View attachment 353394

View attachment 353396
Solid if it's from a part out. These days, the fakes just don't last as long and when you try to do a warranty, that's when you learn it was a fake. :(

with that many cats... who said there are litter boxes...

Ya know, it really is interesting how out of touch some people are on FB and CL. I am looking at putting together a test and benchmark machine. I won't rule out used parts.

Elgato Capture card....$160. Brand new on B&H $130
How about a Ryzen 5800x for $380. New from B&H is like $300
Ryzen 5950x for $775 when I can get it at amazon for $685.....

Ya know, it really is interesting how out of touch some people are on FB and CL. I am looking at putting together a test and benchmark machine. I won't rule out used parts.

And they only do this because some people will just pay without checking. Kind of like ebay charging more for something you can just get new from a real retailer for less. As the adage goes...fool and his money...

My favorite recent ones are ancient gpus. $300 for a 670? What a deal!

Back