cpu is scratched after installation

klatox

Weaksauce
I recently installed my cpu and followed the directions exactly. I now have scratched/gashes on both sides of the processor, caused by the loading mechanism (see below). Is this normal? :confused:

Hy6Rwyg.jpg

MgFBdnE.jpg

Dunno, my motherboard is shot and I was unable to get a display on my system. I have another thread in the Motherboard forum about that)

make a mark sure, make dents on it, lolwut. I just did my buddy cpu i7-2600 and it most certainly did not have those kind of marks on it, but hey Intel does everything perfect. Seems to me there is far more issues I have heard of in the recent years with Intel and their mainboards then I have with AMD and their partners mainboards and gpu :)

I recently installed my cpu and followed the directions exactly. I now have scratched/gashes on both sides of the processor, caused by the loading mechanism (see below). Is this normal? :confused:

Hy6Rwyg.jpg

MgFBdnE.jpg

My heat spreader has a couple marks there as well, although yours looks much deeper in that photo, it might just be the lighting though. I'd say normal.

Those shots shouldn't damage the CPU in any shape of form. I've gone through tons of CPUs with those kind of marks and not one CPU ever gave me any problem.

Also have those on my previous Intel processors in varying locations on the chips.

Given how none of them have died yet, I guess no cause for worry :)

I have seen small artificial marks before but not chunks missing. And ive mounted many CPUs over The years.

I once stayed at a holiday inn express.

Those marks look normal compared to mine on the Z87-Extreme4.

Normal marks, i;ve seen worse marks casually on Asrock Boards, i think its just simply over-pressure or a constant use of the socket retention mechanism.

I wonder if certain heatsinks or waterblocks can do that if not torqued slowly and evenly.

Anyways you can get rid of those marks by delidding the CPU :)

I wonder if certain heatsinks or waterblocks can do that if not torqued slowly and evenly.

Anyways you can get rid of those marks by delidding the CPU :)

yes it can damage the CPU heatsink and even the Cooler heatsink can be damaged too, in fact in my first i7 2600 with an Corsair h70 i squeezed too much I think and uneven.. enough to have some marks in 2 of the corners of the CPU heatsink and after a long time of use the h70 waterblock heatsink got seriously market too, like strong scratched lines on borders, just by the painfully installation of that kind of cooler, i guess on other air coolers that are even more pita to install could happen..

Ok glad to know I'm not the only one with these issues. I've had to RMA my board so I'll know the CPU is ok when the replacement comes in.

Back