CPU for 1440p Gaming/Streaming

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
I'm putting together my first build in 10 years and will be using it for 1440p gaming and streaming. I'd like to add an RX 6700 XT GPU in the future but looking to go with a CPU that has an integrated GPU for now so I can use the PC for streaming while I let the GPU market shake out a bit longer.

Would a 5600G work well or should I spend the extra $100 on a 5700G? I'll be using a B550 based board FWIM. TIA

Edit: From Tom's Hardware:

We wouldn't recommend purchasing either Cezanne chip with the sole purpose of using it with a discrete GPU — that defeats the purpose of the Vega graphics. However, these strange times of the GPU shortage might compel some to use the Cezanne chips as a stopgap until pricing normalizes. When paired with a discrete GPU, the Ryzen 7 5700G will offer more runway for future GPU upgrades than the 5600G, but not by enough to justify the higher price tag.

I guess this answers my question.

Last edited:
I'm putting together my first build in 10 years and will be using it for 1440p gaming and streaming. I'd like to add an RX 6700 XT GPU in the future but looking to go with a CPU that has an integrated GPU for now so I can use the PC for streaming while I let the GPU market shake out a bit longer.

Would a 5600G work well or should I spend the extra $100 on a 5700G? I'll be using a B550 based board FWIM. TIA

We wouldn't recommend purchasing either Cezanne chip with the sole purpose of using it with a discrete GPU — that defeats the purpose of the Vega graphics. However, these strange times of the GPU shortage might compel some to use the Cezanne chips as a stopgap until pricing normalizes. When paired with a discrete GPU, the Ryzen 7 5700G will offer more runway for future GPU upgrades than the 5600G, but not by enough to justify the higher price tag.

I'm guessing that remark from Tom's Hardware is probably aimed at those just thinking of gaming. If you're going to be streaming while gaming, the extra cores will probably help keep everything running smoothly.

Do you have any sort of vid card? The reviews I've seen put the integrated graphics in AMD's 5000 series APUs about on par with an NVidia GT 1030. In other words, APU graphics are really pretty slow and there are a whole lot of cards from the last 10 years that can beat one. One of the GTX 680 4GB cards I put in my 2012 build would whoop one of those APUs. They're about as fast as a GTX 1050Ti, though they use 3x as much power.

If you're simply not going to game on this box until you get a new vid card and you don't have anything usable I'd consider going Intel and using the integrated. Rocket Lake (11th gen Intel) seems to beat the AMD APUs on CPU tests most of the time. If you have a vid card that can keep up with a 1030 or don't plan to game until you upgrade and have something usable I'd just get a regular Ryzen desktop chip. If you want to hurry up and build and want to game on it but don't have a card... that gets a little messy. It's either get the APU and be annoyed by it later or cough up some cash for a temp card.

Reactions: Tobit
like this
Do you have any sort of vid card? If you want to hurry up and build and want to game on it but don't have a card... that gets a little messy. It's either get the APU and be annoyed by it later or cough up some cash for a temp card.
Yeah, I don't have any video cards at all. I've been using laptops exclusively for the past 10 years.

Yeah, I don't have any video cards at all. I've been using laptops exclusively for the past 10 years.
What are your streaming goals?

Gaming and streaming from the same PC?
Streaming dedicated PC, while gaming on another PC or console?
Will you have a capture card?
Best possible quality stream or average quality?
Can your internet put out a stable 6 - 10 megabytes per second upload?

Will you have a Mic?
Will you have a camera?

Hopefully you don't buy the kind of laptops I buy. I'm primarily a desktop user and keep a thin and light laptop around so I have something when I go on vacation, etc. I run laptops till they die or can't handle web browsing. I don't game on them. Last time around it was couldn't get a replacement battery for an 8yo machine except from some fly by night Chinese company so I decided it was time to replace the machine.

What sort of laptop do you have? There are a whole lot of laptops with a discreet GPU that can beat AMD's best desktop APU on the graphics side. Not just beat their best APU, but blow it's heatsink off and you don't even need a high end gaming laptop to do that. Or a new one. APUs are seriously slow compared to a halfway decent dedicated GPU.

I have an AMD APU on my laptop and honestly been super disappointed with it. The machine is good for everyday tasks, but sucks for gaming. I have to run 720p all low settings, and it's still a struggle.

But I almost always play on my desktop. If I'm traveling (the only time I would use the laptop) I just play indie 2D games or visual novels, or things that can run okay on a potato.

I have an AMD APU on my laptop and honestly been super disappointed with it. The machine is good for everyday tasks, but sucks for gaming. I have to run 720p all low settings, and it's still a struggle.

But I almost always play on my desktop. If I'm traveling (the only time I would use the laptop) I just play indie 2D games or visual novels, or things that can run okay on a potato.

Seems you haven't checked out LowSpecGamer on YouTube. With the newer 5000 APUs, the gaming can be very decent these days.

If you're gonna be streaming, I highly recommend considering an Nvidia GPU, since AFAIK at lower bitrates NVENC is competitive with CPU transcoding. I know AMD has a hardware encoder on their GPUs, but I haven't heard any good things about it, especially regarding realtime transcodes.

If you're set on the AMD GPU, then the extra cores on the 5700G makes a lot of sense. With the 5600G, you'll end up with a 4c/8t CPU while gaming, and that's not really enough these days, since games are starting to creep towards 6c/8c usage. With the 5700G, you'll end up with 6c/12t, which is gold for a while I think.

If you're gonna be streaming, I highly recommend considering an Nvidia GPU, since AFAIK at lower bitrates NVENC is competitive with CPU transcoding. I know AMD has a hardware encoder on their GPUs, but I haven't heard any good things about it, especially regarding realtime transcodes.

If you're set on the AMD GPU, then the extra cores on the 5700G makes a lot of sense. With the 5600G, you'll end up with a 4c/8t CPU while gaming, and that's not really enough these days, since games are starting to creep towards 6c/8c usage. With the 5700G, you'll end up with 6c/12t, which is gold for a while I think.
5600G and 5700G are 6 and 8 core ;)

I probably could have easily gotten away with a 5600x on my build, but for many of the same reasons others have said in this thread I got a used 5800x for future proofing.

5600G and 5700G are 6 and 8 core ;)

Yes, but for OBS you'll probably need to dedicate at least 2c/4t for 720p streaming, maybe even 4c/8t for 1080p streaming. So what's left for the actual game? If you go 6c, you'll be left with 4c/8t, barely good enough for now, and there's no future proofing. With 5700G, you still have some breathing room for the future.

Wouldn't it be better to do GPU encoding? I've recorded video with ReLive before on AMD and the quality is good (I know Nvidia is better, but AMD is still fine).

Is it different if you are recording a file or streaming? I don't stream, but for file recording I thought the quality was more than enough.

Yes, but for OBS you'll probably need to dedicate at least 2c/4t for 720p streaming, maybe even 4c/8t for 1080p streaming. So what's left for the actual game? If you go 6c, you'll be left with 4c/8t, barely good enough for now, and there's no future proofing. With 5700G, you still have some breathing room for the future.
That's not how hardware encoding works.

If you go APU then you want a board with the best memory support .. I don't know the standard speed baked in on the memory controller but Vega needs speed and mass and being only at DDR 4 system memory speed you should be able to do 4400Mhz DDR4 with the right kit and board .

I have an MSI B550 Mortar with the 5600x and RX 570 8Gb .. I like the setup a lot ..

like this
Get an NVIDIA GPU and let the GPU do the work along with gaming.

If you really want to stream at the best quality, you are looking at a 2nd system with a capture card.

On my 3900XT when i was running OSB and using CPU for it , as ifI used my RX 6800 i got lower FPS, considerably, it was using some serious cpu power...

Wouldn't it be better to do GPU encoding? I've recorded video with ReLive before on AMD and the quality is good (I know Nvidia is better, but AMD is still fine).

Is it different if you are recording a file or streaming? I don't stream, but for file recording I thought the quality was more than enough.
This is interesting, I haven't used Nvidia for a long time, but in the past AMD encoding hardware was superior. It's also not super important to me, but when did they flip flop?

Reactions: travm
like this
That's not how hardware encoding works.
Yea I know, but does the 5600g/5700g have hardware encoder baked in is the question.

Get an NVIDIA GPU and let the GPU do the work along with gaming.

If you really want to stream at the best quality, you are looking at a 2nd system with a capture card.

On my 3900XT when i was running OSB and using CPU for it , as ifI used my RX 6800 i got lower FPS, considerably, it was using some serious cpu power...

I agree, though OP doesn't want to buy a GPU right now, plus he wants AMD, so his choices are limited.

A couple things regarding video encoding...

I'm not sure how much AMDs AMF encoder has improved in the latest generation of APUs, but I've tried it on a Radeon 570 with 720P30 @ 3000Kbit/s and 720P60 @ 4200Kbit/s and the quality was not good, very blocky in motion and generally blurry.

A 5700G will have plenty of power to just do the encoding on the CPU for max quality even on a single-PC game streaming box. I got started streaming using only my laptop (8C16T Comet Lake i7) and CPU encode worked ok even in heavy games like Cyberpunk 2077. It's not ideal, but considering that with the iGPU you'll be doing 30fps @ low settings, the games won't be loading the CPU hugely.

and finally, if u do want to offload the encode, don't want to use the mediocre AMF encoder, and can't afford a GeForce gaming GPU, u could get a potato NV GPU and use that for encoding only while still gaming on the Vega iGPU. I'm sort of using a similar setup on my streaming PC- RX 570 for display / cam FX rendering / OBS rendering & composting / etc, then in the second slot a GT 710 that's just doing video encode. Took some fiddling to get it working right but the visual quality is better than with the AMD encoder and of course it saves lots of CPU. Older non-gaming-capable Nvidia GPUs in the 700 and 900 series can be found for like 60 USD and under and still have much better video encoders than newer AMD cards.

like this
indeed, looks like a wash to me... some of those graphs are zoomed in massively just to show a difference, and even then they are basically within testing margin of error. Thanks for digging this up.
Actually.....no. There are some very big differences shown on there. VMAF's scores are such that, a couple of points is a visible quality difference. And functionally equivalent to moving up to a higher X.264 preset. I will expand on things in a larger post. I tried to ask some targeted questions to the OP. But....seems I will just have to make an info dump.

Usually I hate pre-builts, but you should consider it as you can actually get some real GPUs at somewhat reasonable prices.

Usually I hate pre-builts, but you should consider it as you can actually get some real GPUs at somewhat reasonable prices.
I was thinking about it but I really want to build my own. It's been a long ass time since my last.

I was thinking about it but I really want to build my own. It's been a long ass time since my last.
Well just in case, these are in stock right now.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...070-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd/6455823.p?skuId=6455823

solid deal. 11700 non-K is a good value CPU right now.
Comes with a really nice B560 mobo
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b560-g-gaming-wifi-model/

Power supply is decent. Made by Greatwall OEM, whom makes power supplies for several brands.
RAM is generic, but two sticks of 3200mhz

you will need a better CPU cooler. I recommend the BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2 or Dark Rock TF2, for this case.
The case is fine, but not great. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

make sure to grab the bios updates

like this
Back