CPU air cooler: Single tower vs Dual tower.

Hello,
I'm looking for a CPU air cooler for a 12600KF, and I came to the conclusion that a DeepCool AK620 would be fine. Though, there are two versions of the same cooler, which are the single tower version (AK400) and the dual tower's (AK620).
According to Gamers Nexus, when it comes to temperature there is no major difference, about 1 or 2 degrees at best. The main difference seems to be the fans speed and noise level.

My question is, is there is reason to buy the DeepCool AK620 instead of the DeepCool AK400, except for noise level issues?

I've heard about the Thermalright, but it's €60 here (France), which is not exactly in the same price range. I'll consider it anyway, thanks.

I've heard about the Thermalright, but it's €60 here (France), which is not exactly in the same price range. I'll consider it anyway, thanks.
ah. no way to know if it isnt in youre bio. this is a predominantly US based forum so i run into the same thing being from canuckistan...
another to consider over there is the gelid phantom. can get those for 35-40e (dont know how to do a euro symbol)

According to Gamers Nexus, when it comes to temperature there is no major difference, about 1 or 2 degrees at best. The main difference seems to be the fans speed and noise level.
At whatever thermal load they were testing, in their testing environment.

With a higher watt CPU and different ambient temperature, the one with a single tower may not be able to keep up with the dual tower -- depends on how well configured the heatpipes are and how good they are at transporting the heat to the fins, and how close to the limit the fan is to not moving enough air over the fins.

Also pay attention to what generation CPU they are testing, as some coolers perform better or worse simply due to the arrangement of chips under the heat spreader.

ah. no way to know if it isnt in youre bio. this is a predominantly US based forum so i run into the same thing being from canuckistan...
another to consider over there is the gelid phantom. can get those for 35-40e (dont know how to do a euro symbol)
Sorry about that, it's just that French forums are way less active...
At whatever thermal load they were testing, in their testing environment.

With a higher watt CPU and different ambient temperature, the one with a single tower may not be able to keep up with the dual tower -- depends on how well configured the heatpipes are and how good they are at transporting the heat to the fins, and how close to the limit the fan is to not moving enough air over the fins.

Also pay attention to what generation CPU they are testing, as some coolers perform better or worse simply due to the arrangement of chips under the heat spreader.
They were using a 3950X, but I must say that I'm baffled by the fact that they usually do their testing with a motherboard that is outside of the PC case. I'll probably get a dual tower air cooler then, since my PC case doesn't have the best air flow (Be Quiet - Pure Base 600).

They were using a 3950X, but I must say that I'm baffled by the fact that they usually do their testing with a motherboard that is outside of the PC case. I'll probably get a dual tower air cooler then, since my PC case doesn't have the best air flow (Be Quiet - Pure Base 600).
Well, see, in a case with poor airflow their resulta would be even less conclusive, because you would be struggling to remove heat that comes off the cooler from the case with either cooler (unless there just isn't much heat being generated).

So it's best to select a good cooler, then optimize airflow once you have a case in hand. After that, you may want to upgrade, or it may be just fine.

i get that, same prob here.

yeah its because cases vary so much, so they do it without. that case will still be fine. jam a couple decent fans in the front and then id add an extra in the top back above the cooler. it will help pull hot air out and balance the air flow in/out.

Well, see, in a case with poor airflow their resulta would be even less conclusive, because you would be struggling to remove heat that comes off the cooler from the case with either cooler (unless there just isn't much heat being generated).

So it's best to select a good cooler, then optimize airflow once you have a case in hand. After that, you may want to upgrade, or it may be just fine.
i get that, same prob here.

yeah its because cases vary so much, so they do it without. that case will still be fine. jam a couple decent fans in the front and then id add an extra in the top back above the cooler. it will help pull hot air out and balance the air flow in/out.
I never thought about that, even though it makes a lot of sense 🤦‍♀️.

May I ask you what you mean by optimizing the airflow though? Does it mean having more fans for instance?
Edit: Sorry, didn't read the last sentence that well. What I meant, is there something else I could do to optimize it, besides adding more fans?

I never thought about that, even though it makes a lot of sense 🤦‍♀️.

May I ask you what you mean by optimizing the airflow though? Does it mean having more fans for instance?
Edit: Sorry, didn't read the last sentence that well. What I meant, is there something else I could do to optimize it, beside adding more fans?
Keep inlet and outlet pressure as close to the same as you can -- if you have 360mm of intake fans, you'll want about the same for exhaust, or if you have less you'll want to run the exhaust fans a bit faster. Try to keep the path of air flow clear of cables and wires, and other accessories, or bundle them as neatly as you can. If the case is on carpet, lift it off the floor a couple inches to allow air in or out through the bottom of the case.

Keep inlet and outlet pressure as close to the same as you can -- if you have 360mm of intake fans, you'll want about the same for exhaust, or if you have less you'll want to run the exhaust fans a bit faster. Try to keep the path of air flow clear of cables and wires, and other accessories, or bundle them as neatly as you can. If the case is on carpet, lift it off the floor a couple inches to allow air in or out through the bottom of the case.
I'll keep that in mind. Thank you both for the answers!

Keep inlet and outlet pressure as close to the same as you can -- if you have 360mm of intake fans, you'll want about the same for exhaust, or if you have less you'll want to run the exhaust fans a bit faster.
Oh, this is assuming all the same fans. Fans with higher cfm or static pressure may not have to run as fast to push the same volume of air.

Back