Cowboy Beebop live action at Netflix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all that happy with short frumpy Faye, (the body does not match expectations), but the rest seems to be OK.
The soundtrack is spot on at least.

Not all that happy with short frumpy Faye, (the body does not match expectations), but the rest seems to be OK.
The soundtrack is spot on at least.
Hey once again, Daniella Pineda is an near exact (one inch difference) height match for Faye ;)

I'm actually shocked by how good the trailer looks. Why didn't they just skip all that other lame promo crap and go straight to this trailer?
So do a lot of video game trailers, many of which turned out to be turds.

Cowboy Bebop | Official Trailer | Netflix

Well I'll be damned. The teaser was quite bad but this trailer was shockingly good! Now I am kinda looking forward to watching this. Hoping for the best while fearing for the worst of course, live-action adaptations have just as poor track record as videogame movies after all.

Then she is a bit too heavy for the role. Sorry, she doesn't look like Faye to me.
""First I wanted to apologize to the fans that I do not anatomically match the Faye Valentine character," Pineda said. She summarized Faye's 'anatomy' as "Six foot, double-D size breasts, two-inch waist" and sarcastically remarked, "You know, they looked everywhere for that woman, and they couldn't find her. It's kinda weird. So they just went with my short ass. I know, am I right?""

https://www.cbr.com/cowboy-bebop-daniella-pineda-faye-valentine/

This "Official Trailer" is way better than the teasers, for me... less worried now, but will still wait for reviews before throwing money at it :]

""First I wanted to apologize to the fans that I do not anatomically match the Faye Valentine character," Pineda said. She summarized Faye's 'anatomy' as "Six foot, double-D size breasts, two-inch waist" and sarcastically remarked, "You know, they looked everywhere for that woman, and they couldn't find her. It's kinda weird. So they just went with my short ass. I know, am I right?""

https://www.cbr.com/cowboy-bebop-daniella-pineda-faye-valentine/
She isn't 6 foot, though. She's 5'6".

Her incredibly stylized/idealized body proportions make here seem taller, when not sharing the frame with another character. Camera angles and forced perspectives can also do a lot to give "size" to a character.

cowboy-bebop-characters.jpg

…are there even any anime girls with realistic proportions?
There are scads of female manga artists that draw proportional girls w/o the "male gaze" attributes and the peculiar camera positions. And a lot of those are produced anime OVAs.

"Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis from observing real people. you know. It's produced by humans who can't stand looking at other humans. And that's why the industry is full of otaku!"
-Hayao Miyazaki

I kindo like the new Faye. IMO she was way too brooding in the original. Yeah her story was super tragic, but she seems fun now.

I felt the original Wild Wild West segways in that new teaser.

Maria Murdock near the end, they sure prettied her up. It's an outrage. Yes I'm being sarcastic

Edit: Apparently Maria is being played by Adrienne Barbeau (Maude, Swamp Thing, Star Trek DS9, Escape from NY)

Last edited:
Who actually says shit like this and thinks it’s somehow okay?

in what world is comparing an actual human to an anime girl reasonable?

Who actually says shit like this and think it's OK? Seriously. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are.
Faye is supposed to be a supermodel bombshell. Not whatever it is we are apparently getting. Either wardrobe or her fitness coach failed her. She looks frumpy in the thing that appears to have been an attempt at her signature outfit. Feel free to disagree, but don't try to attack my right to have an opinion, or act like I am some sort of bad guy for not seeing Faye when I look at her. Maybe her acting skills will let her pull it off.
I am not demanding anything, but they have to sell her as Faye.

they used live action footage and rotoscoped (traced over) to creating the final frames:

Aku_no_hana_rotoscope_process.png

Cowboy Bebop also used this technique but only in a few spots like during fight sequences

4128770030_499d81c9e9_o.gif

(naruto on the bottom copied cowboy bebop, just to show how far it can go into cartoony land)

Last edited:
Who actually says shit like this and think it's OK? Seriously. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are.
Faye is supposed to be a supermodel bombshell. Not whatever it is we are apparently getting. Either wardrobe or her fitness coach failed her. She looks frumpy in the thing that appears to have been an attempt at her signature outfit. Feel free to disagree, but don't try to attack my right to have an opinion, or act like I am some sort of bad guy for not seeing Faye when I look at her. Maybe her acting skills will let her pull it off.
I am not demanding anything, but they have to sell her as Faye.

Oh crap, you’ve been called out on your nonsense opinion and you’re playing the victim to try and change the discussion!

Your opinion is poison. Everybody who is going around screaming “she’s not pretty enough!” Is just contributing to the problems a lot of girls have with self image.

If you want super skinny anime girls, go watch some anime.

Oh crap, you’ve been called out on your nonsense opinion and you’re playing the victim to try and change the discussion!

Your opinion is poison. Everybody who is going around screaming “she’s not pretty enough!” Is just contributing to the problems a lot of girls have with self image.

So? If someone is playing a role of a character that has a specific portrayal already, they're going to get judged on it.

It's on the actor to get over it and put on a compelling performance.

Trailer was better than anything else so far, Faye's costume is the most out of place but the actress may end up fitting the tone. Jet and Spike seem pretty bang on vocally, Spike hair is lacking but who can live up to insane anime hair and still be able to move.

Still tentative around transitioning to live action, but I'll watch the first three at this point.

Who actually says shit like this and thinks it’s somehow okay?

in what world is comparing an actual human to an anime girl reasonable?

I went through almost everything I've seen and it's slim pickings, literally, other than a few that are specifically made for body image. (Ex Princess Jellyfish).

Black Clover does have some.

Puli Angel
Puli_anime_profile.png

Charmy dark hair below. (although Charmy has many forms)
3yfwrjaq2ma61.jpg

Fire Force. Maki Oze. Turn your python into a cobra.

DC3210DF-EA9F-42B4-89FB-1A4C5BCE10E3.jpg

Last edited:

She don't look like Faye to me, that's that. My opinion is no more nonsense or poisonous than yours, so it's nothing that can be called out. Take your social outrage and silly politics to soap box. Rant all you like there.

totally disagree, but then again it's your opinion that they aren't "real", whatever that means...
Well I can say that anime isn't real. Just like a photograph can look completely real, but is not.

I think to be real, it has to be interactive. So a game character, I believe, can be real.

If you can interact with them, if there is some AI, then that could be real.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Well I can say that anime isn't real. Just like a photograph can look completely real, but is not.

I think to be real, it has to be interactive. So a game character, I believe, can be real.

what strain you smokin?

She don't look like Faye to me, that's that. My opinion is no more nonsense or poisonous than yours, so it's nothing that can be called out. Take your social outrage and silly politics to soap box. Rant all you like there.

None of them look like the cartoon though, because you know it's a cartoon!

The trailer is better than the teaser. The teaser could have been fun with the various abuse of the frame, but it just felt off.

Honestly, I'm going to work hard to mentally divorce this from the anime. There are things you can't replicate in live action (easily if at all), even with an anime like CB that was relatively grounded most of the time. So if they nail the general feel of the world and get the characterization right, I'll give it a pass for not being a 1:1 recreation (like Ed was fun and all, but translating the gumby-esque levels of physical silliness inherent in the character? good luck; I'm reasonably creative but at a complete loss as how you might translate Ed to live action).

I absolutely loved the anime and spent way too much money buying it one DVD at a time when it first made its way over here (as region 1 discs anyway, I did not know the awesomeness of region free DVD drives in a PC at the time...if such a thing even existed at that point).

lol okay, yea I misinterpreted what you were talking about. words like "like" and "real" are subjective, obviously...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back