Cowboy Beebop live action at Netflix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not terrible. It's not likely going to live up to the original, but so far I am entertained. Nothing so far looks like an intentional snub of the fans or anything like that. I was worried about that happening. Seems to be a bit of a trend these days for some reason.
I will watch at least a few more episodes.

I watched it over the weekend and I liked it. I never really watched the original so I didn't going with nostalgia glasses in. I don't think I am going to like the Ed character in the future seasons.

Watched the first episode tonight. It was cheesy as all hell, but I had a good time. Will probably finish watching the rest.

Faye's story arc and back story are basically gutted and greatly simplified. I'm at Episode 7 or something like that and Ed hasn't appeared yet, only referenced in dialog.
I watched it over the weekend and I liked it. I never really watched the original so I didn't going with nostalgia glasses in. I don't think I am going to like the Ed character in the future seasons.
I would be very surprised if this got additional seasons. The problem is that the live action show omits things and it changes certain things for worse. Largely due to budgetary and run time reasons I suspect. Things like making Faye a lesbian are to score diversity points without thoughts of what the impact such a change has on the character's overall story or how that could impact her relationships with other characters. However, what's worse is that they cut out her back story of being a con artist, which basically negates her very complex story arc and growth as a character. When you do that, you do a disservice to the source material.

Some changes for the live action format are expected and even necessary. However, gutting your characters histories and story arcs aren't changes that are typically well received. The campy nature of this version of it is pure cringe. I'm physically uncomfortable watching the cheesier dialog and scenes in the show.

All of that said, I stand by my statement that this isn't nearly as bad as I had feared but no where near as good as I'd hoped it would be.

Last edited:
I would've liked to see the Fox version made but too bad they got cold feet from the billionaire dollar budget...Keanu is closer to what I would expect Spike to look like since he's supposed to be around 6-1 and lanky.

I would've liked to see the Fox version made but too bad they got cold feet from the billionaire dollar budget...Keanu is closer to what I would expect Spike to look like since he's supposed to be around 6-1 and lanky.
But Spike is supposed to be 28 or something. Neither the guy playing him in the Netflix show or Keanu are anywhere close to 28 years old. This is a minor gripe for me though.

Reactions: Youn
like this
I’m liking it, I actually care about what’s going on. The anime I just like to watch but don’t feel much of an investment in.

I want to know if there is more to Faye's serial # Being NCC1701-B

Last edited:
I’m liking it, I actually care about what’s going on. The anime I just like to watch but don’t feel much of an investment in.

Unless Captain Kirk got sucked out a hull breach into an alternate universe where he transformed into a woman with amnesia, I'd say it's simply some easter egg they inserted hoping fans would see it.

Geek trolling? They dropped the WOPR launch code from War Games too.
There was "Mushroom Samba" (an episode name in the original show) and "Royale with Cheese" on the diner menu in episode 4 too.

If they had picked -C then they would have chosen an Enterprise that had a female captain.

It's fun so far. I haven't finished it and it's definitely over simplified, but still enjoyable.

The scant amount of sci-fi \ space is pretty disappointing, they clearly were trying to keep the budget down.

This certainly doesn't come close to being a substitute for the anime, but it's a fun trip with a bit of nostalgia.

If they had picked -C then they would have chosen an Enterprise that had a female captain.
I’m just wondering if the events of the B some how play into her story. I’m probably over thinking it (I’m definitely overthinking it).

Big accident somebody presumed dead but then turns out not to be dead comes back and secretly saves everything before quietly dying with nobody else the wiser.

I’m just wondering if the events of the B some how play into her story. I’m probably over thinking it (I’m definitely overthinking it).

Big accident somebody presumed dead but then turns out not to be dead comes back and secretly saves everything before quietly dying with nobody else the wiser.
The -B featured prominently in ST: Generations in which Kirk got pulled into some rift thing and pulled out by Picard, then died stopping the big bad from launching another star killing missile. I don't recall (I am not a Star Trek expert) if the -B really gets any screen-time elsewhere.

I would assume that we're overthinking it and someone just tossed it in there to see who noticed.

The -B featured prominently in ST: Generations in which Kirk got pulled into some rift thing and pulled out by Picard, then died stopping the big bad from launching another star killing missile. I don't recall (I am not a Star Trek expert) if the -B really gets any screen-time elsewhere.

I would assume that we're overthinking it and someone just tossed it in there to see who noticed.
Not a lot of screen time but it was one of the Longest Enterprise to serve and did a pretty bang-up job of it too, it was also Lost (presumed destroyed) when the crew came down with an unknown disease.

All the stuff with Vicious and his wife, is awful. In fact, most of the villians or bounty marks are pretty terrible.

Other side characters have been decent/pretty good.

As mentioned by others....there seems to be a lack of outer space time.

The show also seems to be at odds with itself, in terms of the "tone". Sometimes it is incredibly violent and lingering----for no apparent reason. and then other times they will cut a camera shot just short of showing someone get shot, etc. Personally, I could do with out some of the lingering, gratuitous shots.

The show is otherwise a fairly palatable attempt at picking up on something like Firefly. Albeit with less outer space.

Not a lot of screen time but it was one of the Longest Enterprise to serve and did a pretty bang-up job of it too, it was also Lost (presumed destroyed) when the crew came down with an unknown disease.
Literally none of that is cannon.That history comes from the novels which are never cannon for Star Trek. It's likely chosen because someone liked the design of that ship and wanted to reference Star Trek.

That's the modern obsession with "gritty" and "dark".
There are definite noir elements; noir has gritty and dark on its features list. Given some of the scenes in the anime, they're conveying it reasonably well. A lot of modern stuff is gritty and dark for the sake of being that way, but this definitely is more noir than the modern take (aside from the depicted violence; most noir stuff comes from an era when this level of violence being displayed would be unthinkable).

All the stuff with Vicious and his wife, is awful. In fact, most of the villians or bounty marks are pretty terrible.

Other side characters have been decent/pretty good.

As mentioned by others....there seems to be a lack of outer space time.
Yeah I'm not super keen on the changes made to Julia, but it's been a while since I did a full watch of the anime so I may be forgetting something. The way it all ends, eh. Kinda meh on that. Julia certainly needed presence in the story, but not what they did (complete subversion of the history and relationship between Spike and Julie; in the anime he'd been assuming she was dead since the night they failed to leave the syndicate). I really was hoping for a live action recreation of Ballad of Fallen Angels, not what we got as the finale.

The Enterprise-B has less actual screen time than the Enterprise-C does. It's in Star Trek Generations and that's it. It's seen only at the beginning of the movie and probably has ten minutes of screen time. The Enterprise-C is prominently featured for an entire episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.

Also, the C has a better captain. Rachel Garret is better than Ferris Bueller's friend.

On the plus side, whatever faults this adaption has, at least it’s nowhere near as bad as Amazon’s complete shit show Wheel of Time adaption. I can at least get through episodes of Netflix’s Bebop without hating everything on screen.

On the plus side, whatever faults this adaption has, at least it’s nowhere near as bad as Amazon’s complete shit show Wheel of Time adaption. I can at least get through episodes of Netflix’s Bebop without hating everything on screen.
Ouch.

Fuck…. That’s my Thursday night binge…. I’ll move it to Saturday and just have it on while I batch paint.

The wheel of time adaptation is good. Far better than the Bebop adaptation, and I find the bebop one watchable. Of course, we only got 3 episodes into wheel of time and it has 13.8 more novels left to adapt.

The wheel of time adaptation is good. Far better than the Bebop adaptation, and I find the bebop one watchable. Of course, we only got 3 episodes into wheel of time and it has 13.8 more novels left to adapt.

This also, it is definitely good. It has been a loong time since I've read the books, but it seems to follow well.

This also, it is definitely good. It has been a loong time since I've read the books, but it seems to follow well.

I’m going through the books again (for the fifth time) and it takes some pretty massive liberties. Some make sense, others are incredibly stupid. Beyond that, it’s rushed to hell and does jack to properly set up the main characters and most of them are notably worse than their book counterparts. They utterly ruin Emond’s Field, and it’s going to bite them in the ass, hard, if the show lasts long enough to get to a certain point a few books in. I hate the changes made to Perrin and Mat, Rand just seems too dull. I hate that everyone immediately knows what Moraine is, I despise that they make Moraine not secretive and not hide why she’s there. Her being more open and easier to trust will also bite them in the ass pretty hard. I hate how heavily they lean into making everything look like a post-apocalypse version of our world, instead of staying abstract as the books do. Rosemond Pike aside, the acting isn’t great and the script sucks ass. I couldn’t make it more than a few minutes into the second episode before giving up and I have zero intention of ever watching more of it.

I’m going through the books again (for the fifth time) and it takes some pretty massive liberties. Some make sense, others are incredibly stupid. Beyond that, it’s rushed to hell and does jack to properly set up the main characters and most of them are notably worse than their book counterparts. They utterly ruin Emond’s Field, and it’s going to bite them in the ass, hard, if the show lasts long enough to get to a certain point a few books in. I hate the changes made to Perrin and Mat, Rand just seems too dull. I hate that everyone immediately knows what Moraine is, I despise that they make Moraine not secretive and not hide why she’s there. Her being more open and easier to trust will also bite them in the ass pretty hard. I hate how heavily they lean into making everything look like a post-apocalypse version of our world, instead of staying abstract as the books do. Rosemond Pike aside, the acting isn’t great and the script sucks ass. I couldn’t make it more than a few minutes into the second episode before giving up and I have zero intention of ever watching more of it.
Neat.

Well, episode 1 was the worst of the three episodes, but I guess a new turn of the wheel is too much for you.

Ok, have fun elsewhere!

Half way through. Like it a lot so far. Feel the prinicpal cast is perfect. Art direction and music are really nice.

And it's a blast to be in Yoko Kanno's space again. The original music is pretty good. The rest is callbacks to 98'.

But I'm at odds with the new series re-telling the stories from the original anime. They're not note-by-note copies, they have changed things around. And I get they need to hook a new audience that has no exposure to the 98' version. But so much of CB's universe has already been wonderfully fleshed-out, and I was hoping for new stories. Not re-treads.

On one hand, yeah, they could have told new stories. But then look at how they bastardized Ghost in the Shell with the live action. They could have just remade the original anime story and it would have been 10x better.

But Spike is supposed to be 28 or something. Neither the guy playing him in the Netflix show or Keanu are anywhere close to 28 years old. This is a minor gripe for me though.
iirc, the Fox version was going to be made a couple of decades ago.

On one hand, yeah, they could have told new stories. But then look at how they bastardized Ghost in the Shell with the live action. They could have just remade the original anime story and it would have been 10x better.
I tried watching it and only made it a few episodes. It's so cringey and weird imo. I was thinking they honestly could've just made a new scifi show about bounty hunters and left out the whole cowboy bepop and had a decent show. Worked for firefly.

I tried watching it and only made it a few episodes. It's so cringey and weird imo. I was thinking they honestly could've just made a new scifi show about bounty hunters and left out the whole cowboy bepop and had a decent show. Worked for firefly.
Firefly was only good because it was short… it went out on top and we are thankful it did so before it lived long enough to be a joke.

I mean I wouldn't of minded a few more seasons, 2-3 more max. They didn't answer a lot of things.
I don't think the Fox network would let those answers get answered in a way any of us would have liked. The movie wrapped it up well enough.

I watched the first 3 episodes of this and gave up. It's basically a rehash of the anime except everything, apart from the music, is worse. I think they did a good job on preserving the characters of Spike and Jet, but the show they built around them is just lousy.

The anime is also on Netflix, so hopefully it will encourage a new generation to check that out instead.

I was willing to hate watch the non-He-Man show just to see how badly it would end. Not even going to hate watch this awful mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back