Cowboy Beebop live action at Netflix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it would have the same characters. That's literally the fucking point.
Ah, that must be why Rand Al'Thor is the rebirth of Rand Al'Thor, and not Lews Therin Telamon.

Same souls, different people.

Ah, that must be why Rand Al'Thor is the rebirth of Rand Al'Thor, and not Lews Therin Telamon.

Nice how you completely disregarded the two quotes from the author on the subject that I posted complete with sources.

The 3rd age, on a different turn, will be the same (or similar) people. This show is obviously in the 3rd age.

Lews Therin was Rand in a previous turn of the wheel. Lews Therin will be Rand in the next turn of the wheel.

Or, maybe not. It could be someone else. That's entirely the point.

"There are neither beginnings or endings to the wheel of time, but this was A beginning."

In Amazon's beginning, the Dragon can be female. The taint could be something that goes beyond Saidan and Saidar. Or maybe, it cannot.

Also the showrunners have said multiple times that the same character is gonna be the dragon anyway, so this is just a way to build up suspense and from what I'm hearing from people I know who haven't read the book - it's doing a really fucking good job.

Last edited:
Where is this not being allowed to dislike an adaptation for deviating too far from the source coming from? I don't like it because they deviated too much, or in the wrong direction. How is that not fair? No one says you can't like it.
Besides, these aren't adaptations, these are barely at the level of crappy fanfics that rely on tropes like race changes, sex changes, and sexuality changes. Then they sit back somehow expecting that those things make it wrong to criticize it. I suppose it is wrong to call this stuff fanfiction. Fans actually like the source content. Of late, I am sometimes not even sure the show writers have seen the source materiel past a few Youtube clips.
Glad some of you like it. You will prolly get at least a season 2 of Bebop, I am not sure WOT will get that far though. It's not going to be Amazon's GOT that's for sure though.

Where is this not being allowed to dislike an adaptation for deviating too far from the source coming from? I don't like it because they deviated too much, or in the wrong direction. How is that not fair? No one says you can't like it.
Besides, these aren't adaptations, these are barely at the level of crappy fanfics that rely on tropes like race changes, sex changes, and sexuality changes. Then they sit back somehow expecting that those things make it wrong to criticize it. I suppose it is wrong to call this stuff fanfiction. Fans actually like the source content. Of late, I am sometimes not even sure the show writers have seen the source materiel past a few Youtube clips.
Glad some of you like it. You will prolly get at least a season 2 of Bebop, I am not sure WOT will get that far though. It's not going to be Amazon's GOT that's for sure though.
WoT is actively filming season 2, has confirmed season 3 and is the best Amazon Prime show release ever.

I'd be shocked if Bebop doesn't get a second season but it hasn't been announced yet.

Also the showrunners have said multiple times that the same character is gonna be the dragon anyway, so this is just a way to build up suspense and from what I'm hearing from people I know who haven't read the book - it's doing a really fucking good job.
*shrug* if they want to build suspense for new-to-the-story people, that's fine, but it doesn't fit in with the books for reasons I've already mentioned. The idea that the taint could, first, come back in a later revolution, and second, be on the other side, fine, that's possible, but there's have to be much large changes to fit that, and anything beyond that "well, sometimes it goes after men, sometimes after women" would require huge changes to the lore of the series. The only reason female Aes Sedai are tolerated is because they cannot touch the tainted magic.

WoT is actively filming season 2, has confirmed season 3 and is the best Amazon Prime show release ever.

I'd be shocked if Bebop doesn't get a second season but it hasn't been announced yet.
Best Amazon show ever released? You are welcome to your opinion, but, of the Amazon shows I have seen, The Tick is one of the best. It is better by far than WOT Lite at least.

Best Amazon show ever released? You are welcome to your opinion, but, of the Amazon shows I have seen, The Tick is one of the best. It is better by far than WOT Lite at least.
By viewer count. Sorry, should have given a metric.

we have a WoT thread ya know...

They were losing the Beebop conversation so needed to pivot to something else to have the last word.

Gorankar nailed it, all these remakes are at best a fanfic, and not a fanfic from the mainstay fanbase but a fanfic written by those that felt left out. Cowboy Beebop certainly screams fanfic by someone who didn't like that Spike died, didn't understand most of the characters, and thought Faye was a lesbian. About the only thing they got right from the OG is that the authorities are incompetent tools of the rich who actively hinder those with competence.

Rand is only called the rebirth of Lews Therin because that was the previous age and no one alive knows anything of the 1st age nor of previous wheel turnings. The second book makes it pretty clear that Rand has lived before and will live again when the 3rd age comes back around. The flicker moment even talked about different turnings of the wheel. When Rand dies, the soul will be reborn into another body either in the 4th age or into the 5th when it is needed again, much like all the heroes of the horn.

Rand is only called the rebirth of Lews Therin because that was the previous age and no one alive knows anything of the 1st age nor of previous wheel turnings. The second book makes it pretty clear that Rand has lived before and will live again when the 3rd age comes back around. The flicker moment even talked about different turnings of the wheel. When Rand dies, the soul will be reborn into another body either in the 4th age or into the 5th when it is needed again, much like all the heroes of the horn.
fellas, go to the other thread.

Rand is only called the rebirth of Lews Therin because that was the previous age and no one alive knows anything of the 1st age nor of previous wheel turnings.
Well, nobody other than Rand himself, who literally had Lews Therin in his head as a ridealong. And everyone knew the legend of the Dragon Reborn, and of the poisoning of saidin. IIRC women joined with men in a circle could even feel the taint.

I need that like I need a new hole in my head.
notice how theres no ads around here? thats how, $5/yr and you can have your WoT talk in the correct thread...
plus there are other sections than genmay/soapbox if those are what youre opposed to.

Cowboy Bebop Canceled After One Season by Netflix

Netflix has canceled its ambitious, widely hyped and, ultimately, widely disappointing anime adaptation Cowboy Bebop...the move comes less than three weeks after the show’s Nov. 19th debut on the streaming service

The space Western had a rough reception...the 10-episode series garnered only a 46 percent positive critics rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes...fans seemed to agree, giving the show a 56 percent positive audience score on the site...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cowboy-bebop-canceled-netflix-1235060256/

I’m sad it’s cancelled, I liked it, until I saw Ed…. That is just one anime trope that doesn’t work with real people it instantly made me cringe.

I’m sad it’s cancelled, I liked it, until I saw Ed…. That is just one anime trope that doesn’t work with real people it instantly made me cringe.
I have a three strike system.

strike 1: Spike's character is just wrong, he is way to outwardly invested in having people like him. Spike never outwardly cared if someone liked him.

Strike 2: Dialogue is very cringy, lacks any nuance or depth even approaching a late 90s cartoon. Really sounds like a draft script forced into production.

Strike 3: Viscious and Julia are just completely awful, not only in diservice to their original characters, but as a characture in general they are nothing more than tropes and some of most overused and uninspired tropes you can pick.

Not sad at all, this trash needs to burn so maybe one day someone will actually do it right.

I'm not happy it's cancelled, but I sort of expected it would be. There was always some slim hope they would pull their head out of their rear in later episodes/seasons.
I don't believe it was malicious on their part, I just think they misunderstood the things that made the original great to so many people.

I'm not happy it's cancelled, but I sort of expected it would be. There was always some slim hope they would pull their head out of their rear in later episodes/seasons.
I don't believe it was malicious on their part, I just think they misunderstood the things that made the original great to so many people.
Its not malice its incompetence.

tenor.gif

I have a three strike system.

strike 1: Spike's character is just wrong, he is way to outwardly invested in having people like him. Spike never outwardly cared if someone liked him.

Strike 2: Dialogue is very cringy, lacks any nuance or depth even approaching a late 90s cartoon. Really sounds like a draft script forced into production.

Strike 3: Viscious and Julia are just completely awful, not only in diservice to their original characters, but as a characture in general they are nothing more than tropes and some of most overused and uninspired tropes you can pick.

Not sad at all, this trash needs to burn so maybe one day someone will actually do it right.
Maybe, but I’ll have to watch the Anime again because I remember Julia and Vicious being 1 dimensional and basically showing up out of the blue.

I've been trying to figure out why I am not enjoying Cowboy Beebop. And I think I figured it out.
Cowboy Beebop as an anime, had a really limited pencil stroke budget. The amount of cells they could draw was tightly controlled, and had a limited time frame. THis meant a lot of sylized scenes where the characters didn't move much and the backgrounds, while beautiful, were limited. As one of the Great anime series of all time, the creators worked with this, and you end up not noticing much.

But when you do that in live action, it results in a lot of people standing, looking at each other or standing/sitting next to each other and talking, only periodically interspersed with action. It doesn't translate and makes it feel REAL stiff, and VERY lifeless when it comes to character building. Action's great, but not if you don't care about the characters.

Maybe, but I’ll have to watch the Anime again because I remember Julia and Vicious being 1 dimensional and basically showing up out of the blue.
They are one dimensional, but the dimension is a lot less cringe.

Vicious is a full on sociopath, Julia is just a femme fatale.

They transformed them into cringy angry man baby and generic evil mastermind.

In the original they don't matter much, they like much of the ancilliary cast serve as a vehicle for the primary theme of letting go (and the inability of people to do so) ultimately not being able to let go and move on is why Spike dies.

You can justify this tripe however you like, but it basically went from jazzy casablanca with soft cartoon tones trying to be mature in the original to full blow 90's american cartoon bs with those two. Vicious might as well be Starscream at this point.

They are one dimensional, but the dimension is a lot less cringe.

Vicious is a full on sociopath, Julia is just a femme fatale.

They transformed them into cringy angry man baby and generic evil mastermind.

In the original they don't matter much, they like much of the ancilliary cast serve as a vehicle for the primary theme of letting go (and the inability of people to do so) ultimately not being able to let go and move on is why Spike dies.

You can justify this tripe however you like, but it basically went from jazzy casablanca with soft cartoon tones trying to be mature in the original to full blow 90's american cartoon bs with those two. Vicious might as well be Starscream at this point.
But at least the Netflix adaption could have done something with them.

But I firmly believe that Anime does not translate to live action. It just doesn’t work, they would have been better off negotiating for rights getting Yoko Kano for the score and attempting a knock off instead. The space cowboy thing can work, plenty of good examples of it but attempting to re create a nostalgic classic anime into a live action format is a death sentence. Because it can’t and won’t live up to the original.

I applaud the attempt though, it could have been much worse.

That is a character that doesn’t translate out of a cartoon environment. There are certain things we accept in an animated universe that absolutely can not work in live action, this is one of them. I was enjoying the show and wondering how they would change Ed to work, when I got to the end and saw this I actually gasped and it was like the fuck they didn’t.

Haven't watched Macross, but I have almost all of her CB and GiTS:SAC discography. The NBebop soundtrack lines up pretty well with the 98' stuff. There are some new versions of the 98' themes. The new stuff is good but a some of it is short cues and brief themes.

I liked it. It wasn't great, but I have no attachment to the anime so none of that stuff bothered me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back