Counter Strike: Global Offensive

If you are playing this for nostalgia, you are doing it wrong. This game was made with competitive nature in mind, not some other run and gun shooter. The game has over 5 million registered users and is growing in popularity greatly. The pro scene is growing greatly as well. Xgames, dreamhack, ESL,... This game isn't really a casual game. Even casual is competitive. And 30 hours isn't much to learn anything to what the game brings. Watch a couple of pro matches and you will understand a lot more and it will help with tactics on any game.

Whatever.

"pro gaming".. What a bunch of crock.

What's next. pro movie watching?

It's a pleasant distraction. A fun amusement. Nothing more.

Zarathustra[H];1041414723 said:
Whatever.

Bwahahahaha... Whatever man. Seems like you are done with the game, and this thread if so.

Whatever.

I hear this scoffing and high horse argument all the time. I'm not some MLG OMG LoL fanboy that follows the competitive scene religiously but whats the difference between a pro-gamer and a pro chess player, or a pro athelete? They all train for 8 hours a day 7 days a week to obtain that last fraction of a percent edge over the 1% of the competition. They're talented at what they do and there are people willing to watch and root for them.

Your argument can easily substitute pro gaming with basketball and loses no meaning.

Son told us his team is invited to play in England when the time comes.
I want to go dammit!!!! :(

A couple of sayings you will hear over and over again.

Usually people play casual if you are a casual gamer but some play the competitive mode where players are strict on one another. I hear this when playing casual.. someone will start to complain and another player will say something like, "it's just casual man," meaning anyone can do what they want to.

And you will hear, "get rekt," about every game.

Pro gaming, Pro chess, Pro football, Pro tennis, they are all rather silly when you think about it.

However, I have played CS since 1999 as well. I started not with 1.3, but with 1.4. I still play CS and enjoy it. However I only play on a few servers and those servers match my playing style and desires.

So I play on competitive servers, where you go for the objective. The Admins remind players of that when they get out of hand, and I have seen them kick players that state "it is just casual man" because they set up the server rules to play the game a certain way.

So I often think that maybe people are playing on servers that aren't run real well or the admins are not real good or mature.

Maybe it is just me.

The only problem I have with Casual really is Nuke. People just dick around way too much and its never one person its always like 5 or 6 guys who just sit on the roof or in spawn and wait for the round to end. Otherwise most places I play the teams are good at kicking people who don't leave spawn.

Weirdly in the non-competitive rotation I've been havinga ton of fun playing De_Dust it used to be unplayable in the CSS old days because T's would just sit on T side and do nothing. Maybe it's the gun nerfing but I've had no problem getting T's to move if I rush out and kill a few guys like I'm teaching baby birds to fly.

Speaking of Nerfing did the AWP just get Nerfed or something? It used to be a kill if you hit someone any where other than like through an object foot shot. All the sudden last week I started getting 85-89 anywhere but a head/chest. I haven't gotten a chance to actually test but I even hit someone in the leg from like 2 yards away and again 85. It's weird. I'm gonna test tonight just to make sure I'm not crazy. Also heard they beefed up the tec-9? God why?

The only problem I have with Casual really is Nuke. People just dick around way too much and its never one person its always like 5 or 6 guys who just sit on the roof or in spawn and wait for the round to end. Otherwise most places I play the teams are good at kicking people who don't leave spawn.

Weirdly in the non-competitive rotation I've been havinga ton of fun playing De_Dust it used to be unplayable in the CSS old days because T's would just sit on T side and do nothing. Maybe it's the gun nerfing but I've had no problem getting T's to move if I rush out and kill a few guys like I'm teaching baby birds to fly.

Speaking of Nerfing did the AWP just get Nerfed or something? It used to be a kill if you hit someone any where other than like through an object foot shot. All the sudden last week I started getting 85-89 anywhere but a head/chest. I haven't gotten a chance to actually test but I even hit someone in the leg from like 2 yards away and again 85. It's weird. I'm gonna test tonight just to make sure I'm not crazy. Also heard they beefed up the tec-9? God why?

They nerfed the reload time of the Awp. The only non-kill shots with the Awp are through walls and leg shots.

Hmm.....I dunno if they should mess with the awp at all. If it is just the reload time, eh who cares. I can only vaguely recall the amount of times I've had to reload an awp in a round. I never play casual though.

I could swear it used to still be a kill on leg shots, especially at close range.

The "it used to" arguments become difficult, as from 1999 when I started playing on beta 4, they changed the guns significantly with every beta and normal release.

I mean, all the sniper rifles had crosshairs at one point, and the colt had a scope at one point too...

It's tough to put a baseline as gun normal, because they changed so much,

Most of my obsessive 12 hours a day of playing happened back in the beta 7 through 1.3 days, so I guess that is what I would consider "normal" guns.

However I only play on a few servers and those servers match my playing style and desires.

So I play on competitive servers, where you go for the objective. The Admins remind players of that when they get out of hand, and I have seen them kick players that state "it is just casual man" because they set up the server rules to play the game a certain way.

So I often think that maybe people are playing on servers that aren't run real well or the admins are not real good or mature.

Part of the problem is it is tough to find a decent community server that is well populated these days.

I - too - used to like the good public server with good admins environment (I used to run a few of these from ~2000-2005) but these days with automated joining of official valve servers, no one is forced to play community servers, and as result they are often empty.

Zarathustra[H];1041415655 said:
Part of the problem is it is tough to find a decent community server that is well populated these days.

I - too - used to like the good public server with good admins environment (I used to run a few of these from ~2000-2005) but these days with automated joining of official valve servers, no one is forced to play community servers, and as result they are often empty.

I think what has shifted is people playing with regulars in competitive matches. You get use to who you're playing with and build upon that. It is something I need to do more of as I keep getting stuck with either a good team or really bad one. I run with freaky every once in a while.

Zarathustra[H];1041415655 said:

The community server I play on is full Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Especially on Saturday night.

The other two I have in my favorites are full a lot of the time, though they were down for a month due to a DDOS attack.

Whatever.

It's not about 'pro gaming" just like LoL and DoTA aren't about "pro gaming". It's about COMPETITIVE gaming. If you don't like to play competitively, thats cool; they have a casual mode just for you.

I haven't been able to find any community servers to play on I just use the match maker. My steam server browser has sucked since CSS and everyone in my last clan only seems to play Jail or garrys mod anymore.

sad that it can't live up to the standards that 1.6 left behind, and it's all just fueled by skins and betting.

A good community server I play on a lot is hosted by Vlg...just search Vlg 128tick 7v7 comp or something like that. A lot of supreme and above players on there and comp rules and active admins.

It is always full. It has a admin slot reserve...so if its listed as 14/15 dont join as you will get booted. Just wait until 13/15.

My steam id is jnbink0. Hit me up. I hover between nova 3 and AK rank.

My esea id is just bink I think.

Guys,

Where should I be aiming, I'm guessing the head, rather than the body. It seems like one on one I always die in a sec not matter where I hit him.

Guys,

Where should I be aiming, I'm guessing the head, rather than the body. It seems like one on one I always die in a sec not matter where I hit him.

this was what kept happening to me yesterday. 88 in 3, 99 in 4. some days it just goes that way.

Guys,

Entirely dependent on the gun you're using and what the situation is.

Son told us his team is invited to play in England when the time comes.
I want to go dammit!!!! :(

What's your sons name on cs? I see liquid got an invite to the ESL qualifier. Hope they make it in. They look pretty solid for a newer team, and I suspect they will only get better with time.

Usually Ak47 or M4

The biggest suggestion is watch some pro matches and learn about positions and angles. If you know the enemy will be coming around a corner, what's the best position for you to shoot when he comes out while maintaining limited exposure of yourself to other enemies.

The biggest suggestion is watch some pro matches and learn about positions and angles. If you know the enemy will be coming around a corner, what's the best position for you to shoot when he comes out while maintaining limited exposure of yourself to other enemies.

Yeah, some of the best players have figured out the exact location to stand, and exactly where to preposition their cursor so that when someone rounds the corner, it is exactly lined up with someone'es head.

Getting to this point requires a lot more practice than your average player has the time to do. 8-10 hours a day probably. You have to treat it like your job.

This is of course beyond what most normal people have the ability to do, as they need to work or study, etc. etc. and don't have limitless time to spend on games.

The best the rest of us can hope for is to get to the point where we just about break even when playing with good players.

A few pointers.
This is not a run and gun game. Even in casual people play angles. If you run around the corner without prefiring, smoke, flash, or help... You will die.
Do not standout in the open. Point is, you standout. If you cover 90 percent of your body, that's only 10 percent they can hit.
Always use smoke, flashes and grenades. Smoke is like a buffer. If they run through they have less time to spot you than you do them. Also helps to slow down rushes. Grenades are great for pushing up while dealing some damage. When you throw a grenade, the enemy will usually run a few steps to get away giving you a sec or two to get into position. Flashes are hit or miss.
Find a good pistol and only use that. I suggest the 5-7 and tec-9 as they aren't that expensive, does good damage, good accuracy, and butt loads of ammo. Works great for saving and gives you a chance to frag someone to pick up a gun.
Don't go off on own unless you have the skill for it. Look on the map and make sure your weak side is covered as well. Flanks happen all the time.
Use death match to learn the weapons and develop your aim.
Learn the economy. If you know that the team has better weapons, but you don't have a lot of money, save your money that round, buy a 5-7 or tec-9, and you will be better off next round instead of OK one round and broke dick the next.
Learn angles. You don't have to be an expert, just know what to expect and where.

Hope this helps some.

A few pointers.
This is not a run and gun game. Even in casual people play angles. If you run around the corner without prefiring, smoke, flash, or help... You will die.
Do not standout in the open. Point is, you standout. If you cover 90 percent of your body, that's only 10 percent they can hit.
Always use smoke, flashes and grenades. Smoke is like a buffer. If they run through they have less time to spot you than you do them. Also helps to slow down rushes. Grenades are great for pushing up while dealing some damage. When you throw a grenade, the enemy will usually run a few steps to get away giving you a sec or two to get into position. Flashes are hit or miss.
Find a good pistol and only use that. I suggest the 5-7 and tec-9 as they aren't that expensive, does good damage, good accuracy, and butt loads of ammo. Works great for saving and gives you a chance to frag someone to pick up a gun.
Don't go off on own unless you have the skill for it. Look on the map and make sure your weak side is covered as well. Flanks happen all the time.
Use death match to learn the weapons and develop your aim.
Learn the economy. If you know that the team has better weapons, but you don't have a lot of money, save your money that round, buy a 5-7 or tec-9, and you will be better off next round instead of OK one round and broke dick the next.
Learn angles. You don't have to be an expert, just know what to expect and where.

Hope this helps some.

My pistol of choice is the P250 though the tec 9 is good as well. I prefer the p250 because its very accurate even while moving, you can strafe around and still get headshots.

I also recommend using each weapon as your only weapon for a couple days. So you can get gain some natural reflex and mechanical understanding with each. Picking up a weapon off an enemy will do you no good if you don't know how to use it.

When I'm tooling around with my sensitivity I'll just use the scout and p250 only in a bunch of pubs and just tweak my sensitivity each round until I get it to my liking.

What's your sons name on cs? I see liquid got an invite to the ESL qualifier. Hope they make it in. They look pretty solid for a newer team, and I suspect they will only get better with time.

He is Fugly on Team Liquid.

They just had a match and lost due to a DDOS attack on 2 of their players. The same happened to Cloud9. ESEA said nothing they can do. Even with 1 and 2 players down they still came close to winning.(14-16)

They just had a match and lost due to a DDOS attack on 2 of their players. The same happened to Cloud9. ESEA said nothing they can do. Even with 1 and 2 players down they still came close to winning.(14-16)

Was it a league match? ESL qualifiers start soon.

That cost me skins :(

My new rule only bet on lans

Was it a league match? ESL qualifiers start soon.

I am not sure. I know the other teams even spoke to ESEA about a rematch, but it was a no go. I think it was just a match so it was more of their score.

Has anyone run the game on Linux / SteamOS?

Any notable differences in feel that would be bothersome?

Decided to start over and play from scratch. Waiting on rank, and only have four games to go. For some reason I have been playing with more and more top ranks. This was my last match.
2048x864.resizedimage

Last edited:
What is your main rank?

I haven't even figured out how the rank system works.

I have a few different medals, but I don't know what they mean.

That being said, I have yet ti play a comptetive game.

I like competitive gameplay, but I simply can't commit to sitting through an entire match. As an adult, getting even 5 minuted uninterrupted by a kid or a disaster that needs solving is very rare.

Zarathustra[H];1041428734 said:
I haven't even figured out how the rank system works.

I have a few different medals, but I don't know what they mean.

That being said, I have yet ti play a comptetive game.

I like competitive gameplay, but I simply can't commit to sitting through an entire match. As an adult, getting even 5 minuted uninterrupted by a kid or a disaster that needs solving is very rare.

You have play ten comp matches to get a rank

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=312582297

Back