Corsair SF600 600w SFX Powersupply

I agree, the cables could be even shorter, but I am looking at the kit for the flexibility factor…

The 24-pin MB cable that comes with the SF PSU is ridiculous, so stiff & the criss-crossing cables make it even more difficult to work with…!

I agree, the cables could be even shorter, but I am looking at the kit for the flexibility factor…

The 24-pin MB cable that comes with the SF PSU is ridiculous, so stiff & the criss-crossing cables make it even more difficult to work with…!
I agree. It's almost to the point where I don't even want to touch my cables because it was such a hassle lol

IMHO - Just use the original cable set and pull the ribbon apart. Do your own custom lengths if you have the tools - Even the shortest cablemod set is too long.
I ended up re-doing mine... so not worth the money.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
It would be nice to hear from both owners of the SF450 and SF600 in terms of noise under gaming loads. From multiple forum threads I have read, the SF600's fan ramps up more aggressively. Also, I am not quite feeling SFX-L, though I may give the Silverstone SFX-L 500w a chance if a V2.0 comes out to fix the fan issues. It would be nice to see some SFX designs from SuperFlower and Seasonic in the near future.

I know this is an older post, but just to add a data point to the thread:
SF450 + 1070 + i5-3570k
Fan doesn't spin at idle, and did not during first several minutes of Prime95+Furmark.
Once it does start spinning, it looked to be well under 1k RPM, and totally silent at that speed.
During gaming, fan is not audible, even with the case open.

Unfortunately, the SF450 does cause a bit of coil whine in my EVGA 1070 SC, so I will be returning it and reinstalling my full size Seasonic PSU.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
I used the sf600 in a node 202 build for a friend with a 65W i7 and gtx 1070 and I noticed today his psu fan is always spinning even idling on the desktop. At idle the Gpu is clocked down to almost nothing, so is the cpu. So what gives? Ambient temps were 18C/70F. Nothing crazy. Is the pwm control on the fan broken? Should I tell him to return it? Fan is quiet and slow. No issues other than its always spinning. My sf600 and 450 do not exhibit this behavior, so I'm just curious what's going on here.

I used the sf600 in a node 202 build for a friend with a 65W i7 and gtx 1070 and I noticed today his psu fan is always spinning even idling on the desktop. At idle the Gpu is clocked down to almost nothing, so is the cpu. So what gives? Ambient temps were 18C/70F. Nothing crazy. Is the pwm control on the fan broken? Should I tell him to return it? Fan is quiet and slow. No issues other than its always spinning. My sf600 and 450 do not exhibit this behavior, so I'm just curious what's going on here.
That's quite odd, you can RMA it since you purchased it? Not sure how there support is; however, I imagine it's stellar! I love corsair, they are successfully reaching into nearly all areas of a computer. They've got RAM, PSUs, peripherals, and even they bulldog barebone kit!

Got mine the other day. :)

IMG_20170211_001511.jpg

IMG_20170211_001749.jpg

IMG_20170211_001853.jpg

IMG_20170211_001931.jpg

IMG_20170211_002259.jpg

IMG_20170211_002453.jpg

I am not sure if they updated the fan curve for the SF600, but in my M1 with my 4790K and TitanXP the fan rarely if ever turns on, even under max load. Does this seem normal? I mean it doesnt seem like the unit gets very hot, and it is ultra quiet compared to the Silverstone 600w I had, but man it seems weird the fan doesn't run much. I would almost rather it did to increase the life of it.

I am not sure if they updated the fan curve for the SF600, but in my M1 with my 4790K and TitanXP the fan rarely if ever turns on, even under max load. Does this seem normal? I mean it doesnt seem like the unit gets very hot, and it is ultra quiet compared to the Silverstone 600w I had, but man it seems weird the fan doesn't run much. I would almost rather it did to increase the life of it.
When I was reading up on the SF450 and SF600, I read that the 450 had the less aggressive fan curve. I'd also be curious to know if they fixed this.
Certainly, with a higher load like a GTX 1080, the additional power headroom would be nice.

When I was reading up on the SF450 and SF600, I read that the 450 had the less aggressive fan curve. I'd also be curious to know if they fixed this.
Certainly, with a higher load like a GTX 1080, the additional power headroom would be nice.
Well in my experience, my SF600 fan doesn't turn on even under full system load right away. A couple minutes will go by before it does. Then shortly after (a couple seconds) I stop the load, the fan will completely stop again.

Spent six hours putting this Corsair SF600 in my NCASE M1 for this to work on and off... I found out what the problem was though.
Amazon sent me this Corsair SF600 with a missing SATA PSU cable and I later found out you can't mix and match SATA PSU cables.

Hello, I've been searching everywhere with no results... Would anyone happen to know which pins specifically on the 18+10 connector are the sense pins?

Hello, I've been searching everywhere with no results... Would anyone happen to know which pins specifically on the 18+10 connector are the sense pins?
The answer is in the thread on a previous page. I'll post it again for you.

Corsair-SF600-pinout-810x405.jpg

Thanks.. but.. for example the two pins on the top right of the 18 pin and 10 pin in that pic, both end up in pin 12 of the 24 pin at the MB.

The question I cannot answer is which specifically is the 3v3 line and which is the 3v3s ??

Anybody having the issue where the fan will not turn off in idle after load?

I just tested mine in an open environment, and the fan only started after 4 minutes of Prime95 (i5-4690K) and Furmark (GTX 970). However, the fan never turns off in idle afterwards.

Am I looking at a replacement, or is this normal behaviour?

Thanks.. but.. for example the two pins on the top right of the 18 pin and 10 pin in that pic, both end up in pin 12 of the 24 pin at the MB.

The question I cannot answer is which specifically is the 3v3 line and which is the 3v3s ??
I searched for a bit and haven't found anything specific either.

You might be able to find out by measuring the current with a clamp meter. The sense wires should have very little current compared to the wires that actually deliver power.

I searched for a bit and haven't found anything specific either.

You might be able to find out by measuring the current with a clamp meter. The sense wires should have very little current compared to the wires that actually deliver power.

From the testing I've done so far it appears to be these four:

Attachments

• IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 265
Nice. How did you find out?

Measured the current whilst the supply was on a psu tester.

You were right they do carry less. I'm sure I read somewhere that 22awg was fine for the sense wires so this also backs this up.

If you look at the layout too it makes sense if you compare the older corsair 24 pin type 3 cables.

Measured the current whilst the supply was on a psu tester.

You were right they do carry less. I'm sure I read somewhere that 22awg was fine for the sense wires so this also backs this up.

If you look at the layout too it makes sense if you compare the older corsair 24 pin type 3 cables.

Awesome, thanks. Will come in handy if I ever decide to make custom cables for this.

Now that you know which ones are the sense pins, what are you doing that makes use of this knowledge?

I'm searching for an adapter to use it to replace the stock fan with Noctua NF-A9x14 in SF600 or SF450
Without the need to use soldering iron, and you can keep the stock fan as is in-case you need to put it back
The 2-pin header used in Corsair SF PSU's is D-Style CB-32D
CB-32D.jpg a6f6b9443a4f10c918bac1c00a300b8f.jpg
I made this diagram to explain exactly what I need to find
c2160036cb.jpg

Last edited:
I'm searching for an adapter to use it to replace the stock fan with Noctua NF-A9x14 in SF600 or SF450
Without the need to use soldering iron, and you can keep the stock fan as is in-case you need to put it back
The 2-pin header used in Corsair SF PSU's is D-Style CB-32D
View attachment 18489 View attachment 18490
I made this diagram to explain exactly what I need to find
b02b7d9b0d.jpg

This is amazing, please keep us updated! It's exactly what I want to do.

Thoughts on using the PSU's fan header instead of a motherboard PWM with a high fan curve, like I've seen people do before?

keep us updated! It's exactly what I want to do.
I have contacted modDIY
they said they can build the adapter, all I need to do is to order this cable
and state your requirements in order remark during checkout (use my diagram link for clarification)
https://i.imgsafe.org/c2160036cb.jpg
and they'll build it accordingly.

Update

Thoughts on using the PSU's fan header instead of a motherboard PWM with a high fan curve, like I've seen people do before?

you need to drill a hole in the psu for the cable, I was looking for a clean/fast solution

Last edited:
Since the starting voltage for the nf-a9x14 is higher than the stock fan, I wonder if you'll end up with ticking sounds as the fan tries to spin up.

Since the starting voltage for the nf-a9x14 is higher than the stock fan, I wonder if you'll end up with ticking sounds as the fan tries to spin up.
Good point, I dont know if it will spin at meduim load or not, I did not try , maybe connecting the PWM head of the fan to the motherboard is the solution, but it needs more work (drill etc..)

Good point, I dont know if it will spin at meduim load or not, I did not try , maybe connecting the PWM head of the fan to the motherboard is the solution, but it needs more work (drill etc..)
You don't necessarily need a drill. If you don't mind a slight bump, you can feed the fan cable through the side of the psu housing.

sf600_nf-a9x14.jpg

I've been thinking about trying something similar: If you have a motherboard with a thermal sensor connector (like the strix z270i), you can temperature control a pwm fan in your psu by taping a sensor to the secondary side heatsink with a small piece of polyimide tape. Then you plug the fan into a fan header on the motherboard and set the bios fan profile to point to T_SENSOR. You don't get the combination of load-based and temperature-based fan control that the psu does, but this is the next best thing, and it's quieter.

xspc_wire_sensor_10k.jpg t_sensor.png

You don't necessarily need a drill. If you don't mind a slight bump, you can feed the fan cable through the side of the psu housing.

Thanks, do you know if this PSU has a fan fail detection, I mean it will keep working without a fan installed in the PSU 2-pin fan header ? and connected to the motherboard instead ?

Thanks, do you know if this PSU has a fan fail detection, I mean it will keep working without a fan installed in the PSU 2-pin fan header ? and connected to the motherboard instead ?
I'm not aware of any feature like that. That pic is from an x99 ncase build that's been running non-stop since the sf600 was released last year. You should be fine.

Great work kingtron please keep us updated! I want to do this mod myself, as I have an SF600 in an NCase M1 which always has the fan running even with total consumption < 40W, low ambient temp, and an unobstructed 120mm fan @ 900 RPM feeding it from the side bracket. It's very quiet at idle, but I still don't want it running all the time.

So I'll probably order the same adapter you researched and install an NF-A9x14. Regarding the starting voltage -- the fan in the SF600 is a custom Corsair NR092L 12v 0.22A fan. It goes up to 3900 RPM. According to this article:

Corsair SF600 Review – A New Player Has Joined

The fan kicks in at 3V and its voltage curve is:

3.0V -> 1120 RPM
4.5V -> 1750 RPM
6.0V -> 2320 RPM
7.5V -> 2845 RPM
9.0V -> 3260 RPM
12.0V-> 3900 RPM

In comparison, the NF-A9x14 kicks in at 6V! and has the following curve: (source: Noctua NF-A9x14)

<6.0V- 0 RPM
6.0V - 1230 RPM
7.0V - 1420 RPM
8.0V - 1600 RPM
9.0V - 1750 RPM
10.0V- 1890 RPM
11.0V- 2000 RPM
12.0V- 2200 RPM.

Which is a big improvment. At 6V, the stock fan is already at 2320 RPM, whereas the Noctua fan will just be kicking in at 1230 RPM. So the PSU will almost certainly stay silent at idle, and I'm hoping under ~ 200W load. I don't know if I got one of the early incorrectly calibrated units (I got mine in June 2016, so it's possible), but the curve is way more aggressive than it needs to be, so I'm confident I won't have issues with overheating. Heck, I'll even use the low noise adapter. I don't think the fan will tick or make noise under 6V but it may try to start and stutter, like it does between 4-6V in the video. I don't think that's audible and I don't think it will damage the fan.

Another option is to install the 25mm NF-A9 on the outside of the PSU. It has 50% more airflow and static pressure, and the noise it makes is lower-pitched. BUT it kicks in at ~ 4V, which is 2V less than the NF-A9x14. I really want to guarantee the fan will stay off without a significant load on the system, so that's not worth the mod for me. You can also install a 92mm to 120mm adaptor like this one:

Nexus CFA-300 80 or 92mm to 120mm Fan Adapter

and then install a 120mm fan on the outside. The NF-F12 kicks in at ~ 5.5V so it would be a good option. Also, for the NCase M1 a 120mm duct from the side bracket can also be used with the above adapter if you have the clearance. Neither of the last 2 options would work for me as I am getting a C14 cooler, but they may work for some.

As far as linking the fan to the motherboard, that sacrifices aesthetics and you'd also have to link it to either CPU or GPU load, which alone may be an inaccurate gauge of how much power the PSU is pushing. And you'd need to use Speedfan to keep the fans completely off at idle if your motherboard doesn't support it. So not an ideal solution for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts. I didn't want to do the mod until now because I didn't want to cut and solder, but now that I know it's possible to use an adapter, I'll go ahead and do it. Thanks again to kingtron for your work on this. Please keep us updated on your mod, and let us know if the adapter works and how your new fan curve and noise are.

I got the adapter. Looks great. I'll post an update when I finish the mod, probably in a couple of weeks.

Mn26bF5.jpg
How did this work out for you? I'm still debating between this and my frankenstein solution from a few posts back.

ceski

I'm a terrible procrastinator, I still haven't done the mod. I'm doing a big overhaul of my NCase M1 system, it's a big project and I'm still getting parts. And I've been busy with other stuff lately. I will post pictures when I finish it, but I anticipate it to work just fine. As I said in my earlier post, I think connecting the fan internally is better than running the cable to the motherboard, especially with the significantly higher starting voltage of the NF-A9x14.

ceski

I'm a terrible procrastinator, I still haven't done the mod. I'm doing a big overhaul of my NCase M1 system, it's a big project and I'm still getting parts. And I've been busy with other stuff lately. I will post pictures when I finish it, but I anticipate it to work just fine. As I said in my earlier post, I think connecting the fan internally is better than running the cable to the motherboard, especially with the significantly higher starting voltage of the NF-A9x14.

What are you doing with your NCase out of curiosity?

What are you doing with your NCase out of curiosity?

I'm making it more silent. I'm replacing my AIO liquid cooler with a Noctua C14, I'm installing an Accelero Xtreme on my 1070 card, and I am replacing the fan in my SF600 with a NF-A9x14. I'll also be sleeving some fan cables and a SATA power spliter to match the light blue theme of my ASRock X99E-ITX/ac board, and I'll be installing rubber washers and rubber grommets to eliminate vibrations everywhere. In addition, I'm buying a whole bunch of tools, like a fancy antistatic mat, a heatgun, an iFixit kit, some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM. Even getting a monitor arm. Honestly, just researching and buying nuts and screws and washers took me like a full weekend. I am making it more complicated than it needs to be and just blowing money on a cosmetic change, but it's a hobby. It all started when my pump started to make a grinding noise after flying my system over the Atlantic...

Back