Corsair 45WQHD240 ultrawide 45” 1440p 240Hz OLED with LG panel

For me I'd say 60PPD to 80PPD. You can't go by ppi since your viewing distance is dependent upon whatever curve you set it to. I doubt this will bend more than 1000R (and much after that you might be pushing the extents of the screen too far around you).

For reference:

View attachment 504945

. .
I'd be more interested in a large curved 4k screen like the odyssey ark (or a 42 - 48" version) that was bendable. Assuming the bendable factor didn't cause problems somehow over time. Another huge issue for me is any screen that lacks vesa mounting. Both this corsair 45 and the odyssey ark lack vesa mounting.

. . .

I just looked it up and apparently it can curve all the way up to 800R, 800mm, .8meter = 31.496" view distance.

800R: 31.5" view distance. 67 deg viewing angle. On a 45" 3440x1440 that is 51.4 PPD. That's not good imo.

1000R: 39.37" view distance. 56 deg viewing angle. On a 45" 3440x1440 that is 61.7 PPD which I think is the minimum for when AA and text sub-sampling begin to be able to compensate enough.

1500R: ~ 59" view distance. 39 deg viewing angle. On a 45" 3440x1440 that is 88.4 PPD.

On this screen you hit 80 PPD at 53" view distance which would be a 1345R , 1345mm. Also a 43 degree viewing angle which is within what is usually considered an optimal 45 - 55deg viewing angle. Though the curve might muddy that factor a little.

I'd say 60PPD is decent for gaming with more aggressive AA at a performance cost. Sitting approaching 80PPD is where I like to be personally, depending on the game and if I'm running uw rez.

Then I guess it's a good thing that this monitor has an adjustable curve. The LG is permanently stuck with the maximum 800R which I feel is definitely not optimal. Wish they went for something in the middle instead like 1500R.

Screen is too narrow not enough height losing a lot of screen real estate for me lol

Why not just get the 4K model and run that at e.g 3440x1440, 3840x1440 or 3840x1600? Would be pretty much the same, sans curve, at a much higher PPI.

True, that works for easier to drive but want that to drive up to 240fps to make use of the 240hz.

The general review is out.

It's in the SDR range of luminance with 8-bit color. Aggressive ABL. Fast response time, medium input lag. Massive dip per-frame flickering.
Brightness Chart.png

1671855718067.png

Massive dip per-frame flickering.
Yes, about what I expected, but definitely note "massively visible".
An ultrashort duty-cycle flicker that is invisible to the majority. It may be an issue with some, but so are various mudane LCD and FALD flicker issues too, as well.

I wonder why input latency is 6.8 and not 1ms, what's responsible for that? T-con?
Yes, scaler/TCON limitation at this time.
Currently, the vast majority of OLEDs have to buffer a refresh cycle for various processing tasks. That's being worked on.

Does the site disclose the latency stopwatching from start thru end? Present() stopwatch start? Start-of-VBI stopwatch start? Stopwatch end is simple with OLED, since GtG0% / GtG50% / GtG100% is almost pratically identical if used as the stopwatch end of a lag test. Latency stopwatching varies quite a bit from tester to tester, and whether lag test is VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF. If the person used a VSYNC ON latency tester and measured screen center, it will always perpetually have half a refresh cycle lag due to scanout latency, even at 0ms latency during infinite-framerate VSYNC OFF.

I ask because the number seems to be close to 1.5 frame. It's quite possible that this is 1 frame is due to the OLED buffering (to be expected) and 0.5 frame due to latency testing technique (to be disclosed by the tester).

VSYNC ON latency testers and VSYNC OFF latency testers have different latency mechanics, given during VSYNC OFF average latency (over many test passes) is Top=Center=Bottom on most sequential-scanout displays, while for VSYNC ON, it's Top<Center<Bottom. (Center usually being half a refresh cycle of lag, caused by scanout lag portion of lag)

Yes, about what I expected, but definitely note "massively visible".
An ultrashort duty-cycle flicker that is invisible to the majority. It may be an issue with some, but so are various mudane LCD and FALD flicker issues too, as well.
So this is the "ultrashort" flicker OLED can do as "a single ultra-tiny brightness fluctuation of less than one millisecond between steady-state light-output for the remainder of the refresh cycles" out of just the SDR range of luminance.

It turned out to be the 50% brightness dip flickering at 240Hz. If the test equipment is better, it's likely 100% brightness dip.

It's obvious LG/Samsung standard is that low when flickering only sits between visible vs invisible the same as CRT standard. No wonder whatever LCD comes from LG/Samsung is flickering at 1000Hz while the actual good LCD is easily over 40kHz PWM or DC dimming.

Ads like these never end.

Got mine today. I went into the PPI/resolution thing with super low expectations and figured it would be completely unusable on the desktop but its really not that bad. My head is roughly 36-38 inches from it and its perfectly usable.

I've given the full 800R curve a try to see if buying the LG variant would have been a better choice but there is absolutely no way in hell I could use this thing with it curved so aggressively. Its just obnoxious. Currently I have it at probably some where between 1800R and 2300R.

Some odd quirks I found are that using HDMI provides 3840x2160/120hz resolution that I guess is downscaled by the internal scaler and actually looks very good in games that don't support 21:9 o for console use. CRU reports these as "TV resolutions." Using DP completely removes that 4K resolution option. DLDSR surprisingly works using DP and HDMI although HDMI applies the scaling factor to only the 3840x2160 resolution making it useless. This DLDSR option might only be working right now because Nvidia driver currently doesn't recognize it as Gsync compatible and once it does may remove DLDSR since DSC + DLDSR is not officially supported according to Nvidia themselves.

There was a moment of aphiphany running this thing at 5160x2160 with DLDSR. It gave a glimpse of what a end game monitor could potentially be.

In terms of calibration the sRGB mode looks really nice to me as does the HDR mode. HDR brightness overall looks on par with my C2.

The real star of the show and the reason I bought this thing in the first place is 100% the motion clarity. Its by far the cleanest I've ever seen games in motion since back in the CRT days. I went in thinking 120hz to 240hz OLED wouldn't be that big a deal but swapping back and forth its pretty huge.

The real issue I'm facing now is this because my luck with OLED panels and grey uniformity has always been terrible:

PXL_20230108_061930490[6954].jpg

I have a bonus pair of white splotches at the bottom too.

Last edited:
LG OLEDs have always had terrible uniformity. This is where Samsung QD-OLED shines... well and everywhere else too.

Reactions: Xar
like this
It’s probably staring me right in the face, but I can’t locate the width and height of the screen itself when unbent. Could someone point this out? Thanks.

Since the brightness variation is not related to a permanent feature of the backlight, it should change over time. LG TVs do a pixel refresh / wear leveling after a certain number of run in hours which changes uniformity, not sure if the monitor lets you run this manually after a period of time?

Is this monitor able to do 3440 x 1440 resolution at 240hz with 10bit(HDR), 4:4:4 Chroma over HDMI 2.1 without using DSC?
If my guess is correct the required bandwidth for that is close: 41.5 of max 42 Gbit/s. Maybe the overhead would throw it out of range.

Checked out the LG version at best buy and it is as smooth and responsive as can be. In testufo's moving photo street map it was clearly legible and maybe more so than my C1 at 120hz with BFI. What stood out to me is how responsive it was to input, it felt like a crt which makes sense after looking at TFTCentral's review.:

https://tftcentral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/lag.png

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/corsair-xeneon-flex-45wqhd240

I picked up the Corsair version since it has price dropped to 1600 on amazon.

I own the LG version, and played Doom Eternal on it. Motion clarity and responsiveness are great. Brightness is lacking, though. Also, it's truly bad for pretty much anything other than games or videos because of the low PPI. Text looks awful.

I went in thinking 120hz to 240hz OLED wouldn't be that big a deal but swapping back and forth its pretty huge.
Refresh rate differences on OLED follow Blur Busters' Law nearly perfectly at framerate=Hz (linear 4x improvement in motion blur versus 60Hz OLED, linear 2x improvement in motion blur versus 120Hz OLED).

Using brute framerate-based motion blur reduction works fantastically on OLEDs, so enable all your DLSS/XeSS/FSR engines where applicable -- they really act like motion blur reduction technologies on OLEDs.

They make the refresh rate race worth continuing.

Now we need reprojection added to the next generation of GPUs -- like LinusTechTips' Video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvqrlgKuowE

The RTX 4090 has enough compute to do 240fps RTX ON during Unreal Engine 5 graphics (perhaps even path traced) if we could see reprojection algorithms brought to PC based gaming;

Text looks awful.
Install www.mactype.net for Windows -- Text looks much better.

1686547807912.png

Last edited:
I went in thinking 120hz to 240hz OLED wouldn't be that big a deal but swapping back and forth its pretty huge.
Refresh differences on OLED follow Blur Busters' Law nearly perfectly (linear 4x improvement in motion blur versus 60Hz OLED, linear 2x improvement in motion blur versus 120Hz OLED).

Via brute framerate-based motion blur reduction (where you can keep frame rates up), all OLEDs excel.

They make the refresh rate race worth continuing. Now we need reprojection added to the next generation of GPUs -- like LinusTechTips' Video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvqrlgKuowE

The only potential problem I thought I would have with it is the pixel density and after using it it's a non-issue on the desktop and games. Text is sharp and I don't notice any difference from my C1, not sure what people are looking for or if they are using a magnifying glass or something. The instant responsiveness coupled with motion clarity, ultrawide for more visibility and oled make this the best monitor I've used.

Back