Core i7-5960X 5930K 5820K Overclocking & Performance @ [H]

Hopefully last issue.

What did ya'll do to fix the "ITBM driver. . ." error on boot?

If I disable Intel Turbo boost in the BIOS the multiplier resets to AUTO. Uninstalling the software is a useless endeavor as that sucker comes right back like a bad case of the clap.

That's for Turbo Boost Max 3.0, which came out with Broadwell-E so your CPU doesn't support it. I would check Windows Update, Services, and Task scheduler in that order for why it keeps reinstalling.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Oh man, I love old X99 threads!

FWIW, I still have a 5960X running on an AsRock OC Formula as my media PC and I run that CPU at 4.63Ghz w/ 125Mhz BCLK and it is 100% stable only using 1.78V Input Voltage and a VCore of 1.32V. VCCIO is 1.05V, SA was around 1.10~1.15V effective if I recall (id have to look again), Ram is running at 3000Mhz Quad Channel 32GB CAS 14 with 1.31V on the sticks (they are B-Die).

That 5960X I have was a golden sample or something... lol. It was a J-Batch.
It is quite unusual to be able to run that low a CPU input voltage. We tested a few different CPU's at HardOCP which all needed more input voltage than that. Not only that, but we had several conversations with ASUS and MSI regarding X99 and they all stated that we would need to increase the CPU input voltage over whatever the defaults were any time we had issues with a board. Only one motherboard ever had a default CPU input voltage as low as 1.78v and that was the ASRock X99-WS. That board wouldn't run stable at stock settings with less than 1.9v if I recall correctly.

By the time I tested that motherboard, ASUS and everyone else had updated their BIOS versions to at least 1.85v for the default CPU input voltage. Again, this was done for a very good reason. Your CPU would likely be among the top 1-3% of all chips out there if it could hit 4.6GHz+ and run with the CPU input voltage that low. Many of these CPU's couldn't do more than 4.3GHz and the few that did required 1.28v to 1.35v vCore and 1.9-1.92v CPU input voltage to do it. VCCIO and SA didn't usually need a whole lot of adjustment. Typically no more than 1.1v for either. Although, that depended on what you were doing RAM wise.

FWIW, I still have a 5960X running on an AsRock OC Formula as my media PC and I run that CPU at 4.63Ghz w/ 125Mhz BCLK and it is 100% stable only using 1.78V Input Voltage and a VCore of 1.32V. VCCIO is 1.05V, SA was around 1.10~1.15V effective if I recall (id have to look again), Ram is running at 3000Mhz Quad Channel 32GB CAS 14 with 1.31V on the sticks (they are B-Die).

Nice chip. I'll never forget this one 5820K I had. I don't know the batch number, but it was Costa Rican, so probably not a J. It could do 4.7 at 1.25 on freaking AIR. The motherboard I was using died after a year and took the chip with it unfortunately. I've bought and sold a lot of Haswell-E chips over the years, and I never got another one that even came close to what that one could do. Now I'm up 2 cores, but I'm down 200MHz.

Evil Scooter

Supreme [H]ardness
That's for Turbo Boost Max 3.0, which came out with Broadwell-E so your CPU doesn't support it. I would check Windows Update, Services, and Task scheduler in that order for why it keeps reinstalling.
It's because it's enabled in the BIOS. If you set the CPU multiplier to anything but auto you cannot disable it. Does not hurt anything.. just get an annoying pop-up at launch.

Bomber

[H]ard|Gawd
I just sold my old 5820k/x99 build. A friend's kid wanted a cheaper than new gaming machine and I had it sitting in it's box no idea what to do with it. This teen got basically a full system (minus case) with a 980ti and he's loving every minute of gaming with his dad now.

Drangueos

Limp Gawd

FWIW, I still have a 5960X running on an AsRock OC Formula as my media PC and I run that CPU at 4.63Ghz w/ 125Mhz BCLK and it is 100% stable only using 1.78V Input Voltage and a VCore of 1.32V. VCCIO is 1.05V, SA was around 1.10~1.15V effective if I recall (id have to look again), Ram is running at 3000Mhz Quad Channel 32GB CAS 13 with 1.31V on the sticks (they are B-Die).

Nice one,
I'm still rocking my I7 5960X as well
But I think I have the golden of the golden samples :)

I've been running mine @ 4.5ghz 1.17V Vcore, 1.8V Vccin (tops at 1.84) and 1.05V Vccio for a few years now, completely stable... I can even run it at 4.8Ghz @ 1.3V, but I only did for some benching... at 4.9Ghz I need around 1.38V Vcore and things get hot, so I've done only a benchmark to see how it was, didn't risk benchmarking at 5ghz, but the system did turn on.

My MB is a MSI X99A XPOWER AC

I also have an I7 5820K @ 4.5ghz - 1.25V and an I7 3970X @ 4.5Ghz - 1.28V