Cooling acting weird --- Performance degraded

jorgecva

n00b
Hello,
I have a Cooler H100i with a 9700k that was running stable at 4.9 OC with AVX offset of 1 with idle temps around 35-40c and during a heavy task such as H265 Software I was around 87-93C with rarely seeing a CPU throttle. Then, we moved and my IDLE temps are 40 to 45C (With even lower room temp 23 to 21C) and my encoding temps are above 90C and I am now seeing some throttle.

Secondly, when the CPU is standing up the problem is way worse (I can reach 90C temps in just a few seconds), while it is on it's side, it can take a minute to reach 90C while encoding. Lastly, doing normal browsing / Mundante task / ETC appears to be the same, I don't notice that the FANs speed up at all ...

In my original set up I had to use Washers behind the MB to really get good contact with the CPU.

I checked the washers, there's still in place and I can see no movement on CPU, but moving the case sideways suggest that there might be some movement, so I reseated/readjusted the washers, but I have the same results. Finally, I noticed a little bit of a sound coming from the water pump (I disconnected the fans to see if the noise was removed and it was not).

Do you think that my cooler is now partially broken affecting it's performance?

Hello,
I have a Cooler H100i with a 9700k that was running stable at 4.9 OC with AVX offset of 1 with idle temps around 35-40c and during a heavy task such as H265 Software I was around 87-93C with rarely seeing a CPU throttle. Then, we moved and my IDLE temps are 40 to 45C (With even lower room temp 23 to 21C) and my encoding temps are above 90C and I am now seeing some throttle.

Secondly, when the CPU is standing up the problem is way worse (I can reach 90C temps in just a few seconds), while it is on it's side, it can take a minute to reach 90C while encoding. Lastly, doing normal browsing / Mundante task / ETC appears to be the same, I don't notice that the FANs speed up at all ...

In my original set up I had to use Washers behind the MB to really get good contact with the CPU.

I checked the washers, there's still in place and I can see no movement on CPU, but moving the case sideways suggest that there might be some movement, so I reseated/readjusted the washers, but I have the same results. Finally, I noticed a little bit of a sound coming from the water pump (I disconnected the fans to see if the noise was removed and it was not).

Do you think that my cooler is now partially broken affecting it's performance?
Quite possible the pump is dying. Have you tried to hear if it's making grinding noises?

Sounds like a bad pump that was caused by moving.
I had the same thing happen to me with a H70 and a H60 2 days after i moved.

If it changes when you physically move it around, it's probably defective.

Corsair H100i has 5 year warranty. Different countries had different warranty procedures so check out what yours is.
If yours is still under warranty you can get it replaced.
Obviously you will need your purchase receipt and might need a picture of cooler serial number.
It's often easier to deal with where you purchased it.

Below is link to Corsair warranty page. Looks like in USA they are trying to do things with email and phone.
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000397351

If you don't have another cooler, tell them you need to keep yours until replacement arrives.
Usually you can get them to cover cost or returning defective one.

Good luck!

PS:
There are many reasons why I use air cooling, like pump noise, shorter life (air cooler last forever) and etc. If you want to go air cooling your case airflow has to be setup properly too. Not a huge deal but is important. If you do go air cooling there are many good coolers and help.

Like others mentioned above, it's on its way out. You can check posts and videos for repairs, but from what I've seen it's a bit of a pain. Even in closed loop coolers, they're more of a hassle than air cooling for a very small advantage. Another +1 for air cooling.

Back