Cooler Master Silencio Fans - Any good?

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
Short version: Are Cooler Master Silencio fans any good? Looking mostly for quiet and durability.

Long version:
I'm slowly working on a new machine for my 67yo father for Christmas. He's using an Ivy Bridge i5. I think it's a 3570k, though I'm sure he's never overclocked it.

So far all I have in hand is a case, a Cooler Master Silencio S400. It fits the bill quite nicely. Not too big and heavy, big enough to hold anything I can imagine dad wanting, sound insulation, dust filters, front door to muffle the fan noise, easy captive thumbscrews to hold the side panels on, etc. Also looks like something mom would be ok with. Totally non-descript black case with clean lines and no window. It doesn't even have a Cooler Master logo on the front, just the outline of one.

At any rate, the case comes short a fan. It's got 1 intake and 1 exhaust, both 120mm. One more 120mm intake would be good to generate positive case pressure and help the dust filters do their work.

Anyone know anything about these Cooler Master "Silencio" fans this case comes with? I think I can hunt down 1 more if they're good. I'm looking for quiet and long life with no OC concerns. Looks like Amazon has them. If not I can just change all of them and stuff the Silencio fans into an older rig. I have an old Sandy Bridge machine with a fan that rattles occasionally I could use them in. Just have to figure out which one(s) rattle. If I swap all of them out or just mismatch them I'm thinking Noctua, be quiet! or something like that. It's a closed case, so looks don't matter and Noctua brown would be just fine.

Assuming specs are accurate they are good enough. Their pressure rating (0.47 - 1.69 mmH2O) is high enough it should be able to give nice airflow at 800-1000rpm for most CPU/GPU loads and with 1400rpm max speed have plenty of reserve to work when filters are dirty in hot weather with high work load.

I would remove all back PCIe slot covers removed to increase rear vent area around GPU, move exhaust fan to front, block all opening in front half of case not covered by intake fans so air they are flowing into case has to move on through case to get out, (not leak around in front of fans and go in circles) and there is no need for any exhaust fans at all. Using both intake and exhaust fans is like using push/pull on radiator or cooler. It might improve temps by a degree or two, but only at full speed. More fans make more noise. Slow intake/exhaust or push/pull fans down to same noise level as push fans and they move same amount of air so give same temps. Cases with only intake fans usually run quieter at similar temps as intake and exhaust fans. Only time intake and exhaust improve cooling is at full speed and then only by a couple degrees. If you are like me (and most others) our fans rarely if ever run full speed. ;)

Below link is basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow:
https://hardforum.com/threads/basic-guide-to-improving-case-airflow.1987938/

personally i just picked up some "Arctic P14 PWM PST CO" and to me they are my new go to fans. they are quiet move a ton of air and can't be beat on price. i think they go for around $10 on amazon. you should check out hardware scientist's video where he tests a buttload of different fans and is very methodical on testing methods.

I think I might try some of those Arctic fans out in my old rig that needs a couple new ones. Other than that, after watching some parts of that video (skipping between charts) my main take-away is there isn't that much performance difference so I think I'm mostly looking for long term reliability rather than absolute best performance for the Christmas build I'm doing.

Hardware Scientist test results have been shown to be unreliable.

But even if his testing is realistic, Arctic's "10 year warranty" is almost worthless. While it is "10 year warranty" it's 10% per year depreciation based on original purchase price, and owner have to return defective fan to Arctic (see last sentence in below quote from warranty) to get anything. Let's say we buy a 5 pack for $30, so each fan cost $6.00. In 5 years one goes bad so we deduct 10% per year for a depreciated value of $3.00. But it will cost more than $3.00 to return the fan to Arctic. So "warranty" is just a pretty word, that when we look at it's details becomes basically worthless.

If there are any defects in materials or workmanship in your Arctic product during the warranty period, Arctic will remedy these defects at its own expense by repairing or supplying new or refurbished parts. Arctic has the right to choose the means of remedying the defect. In individual cases, due to the constantly advancing technology, the repair or replacement of the product may result in disproportionate costs for Arctic. In this case, Arctic is entitled to refund the fair value of the product instead of repairing or replacing it. Arctic will calculate the fair value by taking into account the objective nature of the product. The fair value will be at least the amount of the purchase price, less 10% at the end of each year after delivery. For example, at the end of the third year after delivery, the fair value will be at least the amount of the purchase price, less 30%.

Arctic can only grant claims under this warranty if you send the product along with the original receipt/original proof of purchase showing the date of purchase and the seller to the location specified by Customer Service (for example, to a repair center). The product must be properly packaged to avoid damage during shipping.

You are responsible for the cost of returning the device and Arctic will pay for the cost of sending the repaired or replaced device to you.
Arctic is not willing or obliged to participate in dispute resolution proceedings before a consumer arbitration board.

Last sentences above are last ones in warranty.
https://www.arctic.ac/en/warranty/

Last edited:
This reads as being very industry standard, I can't recall any products that a company paid for me to send it in for replacement.

Last edited:
This reads as being very industry standard, I can't recall any products that a company paid for me to send it in for replacement.
Many who has warrantied a PSU, CLC, etc. have been paid shipping costs or received pick-up info to send in free. ;)
I did it with Corsair before they opened shop here in UK.

Many who has warrantied a PSU, CLC, etc. have been paid shipping costs or received pick-up info to send in free. ;)
I did it with Corsair before they opened shop here in UK.
Must be nice in UK, I wouldn't expect them to eat that cost but I guess is different mindset in different countries. Even with my $3000 guitar amps that cost like 100-200 dollars to ship with insurance here in US the vendor only pays shipment back to me,

Sometimes they make you ship it, sometimes they send you a shipping label, sometimes they send a repair tech to your house, and sometimes they send someone out to bring you a loaner and pick yours up. It all depends on what you bought. Bigger, heavier and more expensive things are more likely to result in someone visiting you.

For a cheap fan I don't think I'd even send it in. I'd just toss it, maybe leave them a crappy review, and get something else. A $10 fan isn't even worth the hassle of sending it in. My general experience with cheap sleeve bearing fans is they go 4-5 years then the bearings fail. That'll be plenty for my old rig with a couple fans that are going bad as long as they're quiet and move some air. I'm not going to have it around that much longer and if I reuse the case I'll swap out all the fans and the 8yo PSU while doing a new build in it. A more likely scenario is I'll transfer my current build into my old Fractal Define XL and put my next build into the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900r2 my current build is in.

Corsair has always drop shipped rma fans, never been a problem, if rma service is #1.

Be Quiet would be my choice for a quiet fan that can move air. Note my daily rig runs 4x noctua 120mm. If I was going to change, Silent Wings 3 would get the $.

Cheaper fans with iffy longevity or customer service is for your rig, not someone else's.

im not sure on these exact fans but previous cooler master fans i have used were not the best loud fan motor noise botherd annoyed me, i like my ek vardars at 900-1200 rpms i dont hear them at all ofcourse if you push them to the 2200 rpm they are loud and 5 years not a coil whine out of any of the 20 i own I have chronic migrains so im very picky on the noise i get from my fans ek vardars aren't cheap tho i paid 20 a pop for mine 5 years ago.

Back