Cooler Master 212 LED with extra fan on a 10850K - how much thermal throttling can I expect?

Jack Of Owls

Weaksauce
I'm upgrading to a Z490-based motherboard (Asus Strix z490-E Gaming) with an i9 10850K cpu very soon but I'll be transferring a lot of components from my old build including the cooler. As a temporary solution, I want to use a Cooler Master 212 LED air cooler with an extra 120mm fan. How much will this throttle the cpu? Hoping to get at least a consistent 4.5 GHz turbo boost out of it. I'll eventually upgrade the cooler, but damn I wish there were prettier, cheaper and smaller alternatives to the Noctua NH-D15.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Compared to a Noctua NH-U12S the CPU will run a few degrees hotter and 200 MHz or thereabouts slower with the Cooler Master 212.

The Noctua NH-U12S is already enough to not throttle even with all power limits removed (see chart at 7:12)
I wish there were prettier, cheaper and smaller alternatives to the Noctua NH-D15.
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo, best cooler under $50 by far.
https://twitter.com/HardwareSci/status/1189233078708985857

Currently I'm running this version of the 212 in push/pull on a stock 10700k.

So far I've maintained 4.6GHz all core in every game that I've tried, with a max of 72c. P95 w/AVX will put me at the mid 90's. OCCT PSU test will hit 99c+ and throttle.

The 10850k will run hotter, plus the OG version of the 212 isn't as good as the BE. I would definitely invest in better cooling for that chip.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
a 212 will get you by long enough for you to get something better. it wont hold boost as long but it will work. to get the most out of your chip you need big air or a 280mm+ aio

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably go with an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo or a Noctua NH-U12S, whichever drops in price first in a sale or whatever (I have them both setup in all my price alerts). $50 would be within my budget. Just want something basic yet effective & efficient that will allow my 10850K to shine the way it was meant to shine. I have the 10850K in an unopened retail box just waiting for the new motherboard and ram. Let's hope I won the silicon lottery and have a really good chip that can get me over 5.0 GHz pehaps without shitting itself (yes, I may be a dreamer in an ivory tower here ;) )

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably go with an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo or a Noctua NH-U12S, whichever drops in price first in a sale or whatever (I have them both setup in all my price alerts). $50 would be within my budget. Just want something basic yet effective & efficient that will allow my 10850K to shine the way it was meant to shine. I have the 10850K in an unopened retail box just waiting for the new motherboard and ram. Let's hope I won the silicon lottery and have a really good chip that can get me over 5.0 GHz pehaps without shitting itself (yes, I may be a dreamer in an ivory tower here ;) )
either of those arent much of a step up from the 212. which is why i said BIG air or 280 aio. if you ok with never overclocking and leaving some boost performance behind, have at er... especially if youre shooting for 5+.

either of those arent much of a step up from the 212. which is why i said BIG air or 280 aio. if you ok with never overclocking and leaving some boost performance behind, have at er... especially if youre shooting for 5+.

Well, I want the most out of my chip so maybe I should go with water cooling after all. It would be be a first for me after years of passive cooling and heatsink/fan solutions. The entry level Cooler Master aio is around $50. Is it any good and would it allow me to soar to and sustain those peaks? I haven't upgraded in about 7 years so I'm a bit out of touch with the latest and the greatest in PC tech.

Well, I want the most out of my chip so maybe I should go with water cooling after all. It would be be a first for me after years of passive cooling and heatsink/fan solutions. The entry level Cooler Master aio is around $50. Is it any good and would it allow me to soar to and sustain those peaks? I haven't upgraded in about 7 years so I'm a bit out of touch with the latest and the greatest in PC tech.
no. give up on the $50 if you want to cool it properly. for the third time, BIG air or a 280mm or bigger aio, or even full custom.

Back