Convince me to keep Mac OS on my iMac.

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a late 2009 27" iMac:

i7 2.8ghz quad core
12GB RAM
1TB HDD
Radeon 4850

It is currently running the last version of Mac OS supported on it, High Sierra. It's really bothering me that I'm no longer receiving newer version of Mac OS for it. It looks like running Mojave or Catalina is technically possible, but I will run into severe problems because of my graphics card not being compatible. I have gotten the current version of Ubuntu running on it before, I am tempted to completely replace Mac OS for Ubuntu.

Looks like I jumped the gun on this post...

Somehow I forgot that even though High Sierra isn't the latest version of Mac OS, it is still recieving security updates and that is what I was primarily concerned with. Also, it seems that the fact that my iMac only has a Radeon 4850 actually might help it running patched versions of Catalina if I wanted to attempt that.

Now I'm kicking around the idea of cracking this thing open and replacing the spinning rust hard disk for an SSD.

I opened a 2007 iMac a couple years back to replace the optical drive and while I was in there, replaced the hdd with an ssd. It was a good upgrade and breathed new life into the iMac.

Back