converting hyper v machine to esxi

ashman

Gawd
So I have an environment running Esxi 4.0 and a 2008R2 host running a hyper v machine, also 2008R2 that I want to move over to Esxi.

I am likely going to run the vmware standalone converter on the hyper v machine and convert it as if it were a physical machine.

Has anyone done this?

Thoughts?

So I converted the Hyper V machine over to Esxi, that part went fine. Now I cant RDP into the machine at all and its supposed to be a terminal server. It has the same static IP as the original Hyper V machine, any ideas? Event log looks fine, I can ping it on the local network, just cant RDP into it locally or remotely. All services are running, RDP is enabled.....not sure whats going on.

So I converted the Hyper V machine over to Esxi, that part went fine. Now I cant RDP into the machine at all and its supposed to be a terminal server. It has the same static IP as the original Hyper V machine, any ideas? Event log looks fine, I can ping it on the local network, just cant RDP into it locally or remotely. All services are running, RDP is enabled.....not sure whats going on.

Shot in the dark... firewall? :)

can it talk on the network? if it has the "flexible" network adapter, remove it and add an e1000. I've had more success with that one.

It was a very strange situation. I could reach the machine on the network, ping it by IP and name, it could see the network, access network resources and the internet. What I could not do, nor was ever able to do, was either RDP into it as admin or as a user. The machine was inaccessible via telnet to port 3389. I tried changing the RDP access in system properties, turning off the windows firewall made no difference, changing the default RDP port too made no difference, removing and adding network cards didn't help either. I am going to do the conversion again today and pay closer attention the network part. One thing I found out later was on the original hyper v machine I had IPV6 un ticked in network settings, but never did apply the registry fix (that I am aware of) to properly disable IPV6, not sure if that would of made a difference or not.

It turns out that after the conversion, despite there being a network card in the system, the terminal server configuration had no network card to bind to, I had to go into the settings, delete the connection and add it back, binding it to the network card in the system and then everything worked, weird.

It turns out that after the conversion, despite there being a network card in the system, the terminal server configuration had no network card to bind to, I had to go into the settings, delete the connection and add it back, binding it to the network card in the system and then everything worked, weird.

It likely has to do with the fact that HyperV is using a different NIC then ESXi. The old one might have still been there but your MAC address likely changed causing it to forget any static IP info you put onto the card. Also, what I've seen in Windows before if you start swapping NICs is that you want to remove all static info before pulling the NIC otherwise when you attempt to use that same IP on a new NIC it will tell you that info is already in use.

Actually Hyper V was using an Intel pro 1000 same as Vmware, so I dont think that had anything to do with it, and yes the MAC address did change, I had to repopulate the static IP info after the conversion. The odd thing is that in the Hyper V setup, outside of the vm's there are two nic's one for management traffic and one for vm traffic, as far as the vm is aware, it has only one virtual nic for vm traffic, this shouldn't have changed for the conversion. Why terminal servies was someone bound to a nic that disappeared after the conversion is beyond me. Fortunately it was an easy fix.

Back