Constant running/Open Water Loop

I didn't read the whole thread but a couple things.

Have you looked into nuclear water tower cooling? you could re-circulate the water and chill it to near room temp that the tower is in) with an open loop watertower solution.

Save the plate chillers for brewing beer :p

The downside to chilling below room temperature (below the temperature of your computer) is dealing with condensation. you will need to insulate all your lines etc.

Environmentally, I'd say an open water loop, like you describe, would be a benefit. If your city dumps waste water straight into the ocean, you're diluting the waste with your open loop. Kudos to you! Heck, the city should DEMAND that all the citizens run a faucet all day long.

Seriously, ignore the posts by those who want to bring you under their heel. They'd never let you tell them how to live their lives or dictate what choices they should make. Why should you allow that of them?

Cool idea. I hope it works. Keep us updated!

Ken

Thanks

I plan on doing a buildlog once I start this project, but it probably wont happen until I get my winter layoff from work, by then I should have some money and i'll have the time.

I didn't read the whole thread but a couple things.

Have you looked into nuclear water tower cooling? you could re-circulate the water and chill it to near room temp that the tower is in) with an open loop watertower solution.

Save the plate chillers for brewing beer :p

The downside to chilling below room temperature (below the temperature of your computer) is dealing with condensation. you will need to insulate all your lines etc.

I Nuclear cooling tower would look pretty snazzy in the top of my house, alas I have a feeling the city would not approve. :(

Well, good luck I guess. It seems like a massive waste to me but whatever. I can understand where you are coming from though. The water from the mains here is very very cold. I've been tempted on very hot days to grab some old radiators and pump water through them nonstop as water is included in my utilities since they don't have meters for each apartment.

You seem to have covered any of the problems I could foresee.

Thanks

I plan on doing a buildlog once I start this project, but it probably wont happen until I get my winter layoff from work, by then I should have some money and i'll have the time.

I Nuclear cooling tower would look pretty snazzy in the top of my house, alas I have a feeling the city would not approve. :(

That's not what I meant.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=126464&mpage=1&print=true

This is the idea, same as nuclear water towers. Evaporative cooling is CRAZY effective, much better than most closed loop systems. The problem of course is that it is open loop.

Unless the water useage is causing a shortage then just ignore all of the "environmental" comments.

My two year old runs around with a hose on full blast everyday. My area doesn't see droughts, so I feel no bad feelings about it. I could get into this in more detail, but harping on someone's usage is hilarious to me.

I'll rant a little - gasoline takes about 60 gallons of water to process one gallon of fuel. My wife drives 80 miles a day to work, which requires 240 gallon of water. Ridiculous! She should drive a pinto! No, ride a bike!

Even better. Ever fly for vacation? Lets say you flew 3000 miles each way, it took 8000 gallons of water to process that fuel! What a waste! Never mind all the CO2 and actual bad affects on the environment.

Overall I think there's nothing more dangerous than uninformed people pushing views onto strangers.

The problem with this attitude, a lot of water sources feed multiple communities. Take the Colorado river, if every douchebag in up there had your attitude towards water, the amount left over for everyone down river is reduced. But hey, as long as you have water right?

The problem with this attitude, a lot of water sources feed multiple communities. Take the Colorado river, if every douchebag in up there had your attitude towards water, the amount left over for everyone down river is reduced. But hey, as long as you have water right?

My point was people (in general) make much more environmentally devastating decisions and don't even realize it. Then rag on this guy without even asking his background. In his use I would imagine it heads right back into the water way his town takes it from.

Look at San Francisco. Everyone went low usage and the sewers stopped working. He might be doing his town a favor.

I totally get the concerns. I'd never personally do this where I live.

A good RO system puts out barely a few hundred gallons a day. Anything with more is very expensive(750 for 1000gpd)/ isn't an R/O filter, just pre-filter and KDF85 catalytic carbon filter

Also R/O systems heat water up a descent chunk

I work with water filtration, thought I'd let you know some possible issues.

My point was people (in general) make much more environmentally devastating decisions and don't even realize it. Then rag on this guy without even asking his background. In his use I would imagine it heads right back into the water way his town takes it from.

Look at San Francisco. Everyone went low usage and the sewers stopped working. He might be doing his town a favor.

I totally get the concerns. I'd never personally do this where I live.

My anger comes from living in Las Vegas and that the valley only gets a very very small percent of the Colorado river.

Another reason not to do this, and which may have been touched upon already, is the possibility of scaling.

I never posted? I'm thinking ground chiller..or..ofc :D
Bong Cooler! http://www.overclock.net/t/406256/the-official-bong-lovers-club-56k-fail/0_100
A good bong cooler will handle whatever you throw at it and maintain sub-ambient res temps :)
need to add water every few days and keep a little bleach and vinegar in.I use some fitting I got @ Lowe's with 3 stainless sink screens for a prefilter.
Actually you could stick a TEC into the res..might would lead to condensation, though.

Last edited:
Back