Connecting Old Consoles on New TV

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a few old video game consoles that I'd like to introduce to my kids -- Atari XE, NES, Genesis/CD, Gamecube. Our new TV only has HDMI inputs. So I was wondering what adapter(s) this group uses to properly connect older game consoles to newer TVs -- and have it still look decent. My TV is a Samsung Q70A-series, btw.

TIA !!

If your Gamecube has the digital A/V output then this is the best option: https://retro-bit.com/prism-hd/

Otherwise, the TV has a RF input, so you can hook up the older consoles that way. I can't vouch for the image quality, though.

For the consoles that have composite output there are several passive converters you can buy that accept RCA input and outputs to HDMI. If you're willing to spend more money you can find active converters that support upscaling and other fancy tech.

Can relate. Still have all my old consoles except the NES which I gave to a friend's son several years back. Play them on my 36 inch Sony Trinitron WEGA. The old games were too blocky / grainy blown up on the 65 inch hi-def. When I did a VHS player served as sort of middle man from S-video to component out so it would work on my big plasma.

Last edited:
Otherwise, the TV has a RF input, so you can hook up the older consoles that way. I can't vouch for the image quality, though.
Yea, a few consoles have RF out and a RF modulator could be an option for the Gamecube. Quality would be YMMV, of course. At minimum it is a solid "Plan B" that may be good enough for what I am wanting to do.

If your Gamecube has the digital A/V output then this is the best option: https://retro-bit.com/prism-hd/
Unfortunately, no -- my model doesn't have the digital A/V output.

if they all have rca out, this is the simplist option. you can get fancy hdmi for everything but the atari too. like those ^^^

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composi...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863994403989&psc=1
That could be a good choice. Do you have any firsthand experience with this particular device? I'm not against spending a little more on something that is vouched by this forum.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yea, a few consoles have RF out and a RF modulator could be an option for the Gamecube. Quality would be YMMV, of course. At minimum it is a solid "Plan B" that may be good enough for what I am wanting to do.

Unfortunately, no -- my model doesn't have the digital A/V output.

That could be a good choice. Do you have any firsthand experience with this particular device? I'm not against spending a little more on something that is vouched by this forum.
not that particular one but ive used similar and they are just basic rca to hdmi adapters, not much to them.
they all seem to have thousands of review for 4.5+, cant be that bad....
heres an even cheaper one.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Co...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Update...

Thanks again for the guidance from everyone. I purchased this model from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019T0WFA4/

Last weekend I tested it out with my Atari XEGS, and it worked flawlessly. It was honestly much better than I expected. Pacman, Joust, Archon, Frogger, and Dig Dug all played well and with good audio. Hopefully I find time to see how well it works with Sega CD and Gamecube titles.

I had questionable results with an HDMI adapter for SNES that I got off Amazon so I ended up going all out and getting a Super NT instead.

I have heard good things about retrotink though so that’s a good option.

For the 32 bit consoles you can try and find HDMI retrofits but they are always out of stock these days and fairly tricky to install.

I had questionable results with an HDMI adapter for SNES that I got off Amazon so I ended up going all out and getting a Super NT instead.

I have heard good things about retrotink though so that’s a good option.

For the 32 bit consoles you can try and find HDMI retrofits but they are always out of stock these days and fairly tricky to install.
The Super NT isn't even listed on their store page anymore. Did they stop making it? Couldn't source the parts anymore?

The Super NT isn't even listed on their store page anymore. Did they stop making it? Couldn't source the parts anymore?
They had been doing limited drops every 6 months or so I think, I got mine during one. It looks like the last drop was Sep 2021. Not sure on their long term plans for it, I imagine most of their chips are going into the pocket at the moment.

They had been doing limited drops every 6 months or so I think, I got mine during one. It looks like the last drop was Sep 2021. Not sure on their long term plans for it, I imagine most of their chips are going into the pocket at the moment.

IIRC the only one of the retro things that is "gone gone" is the TG16 which truly was a limited run. Which is sad because too many of the games were/are worth the asking price on their own.

Back