Computex coverage - let's be honest

So you like Computex coverage?

• Yes - I love seeing the newest GPU - It's white with RGB!!

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No - Most of the stuff is lame. Stop rubbing it in that you get to kick it in Taipai.

Votes: 29 78.4%

• Total voters
Case, Fan, Cooling, Monitor tech is all cool to see. I get the bore of not much being shown that ACTUALLY affects performance: but GPUs aren't exciting ever: hey look its a X080 and will perform, draw power, and feature the same configuration as every other X080.... only now its with a DIFFERENT LOOKING COOLER 😱

Most of the cool gear has already been teased, so it's easy to pinpoint the interesting tidbits but there's still lots of sweet stuff to check out that comes out of the blue. That's the fun of Computex for me.

Of course the least interesting is GPUs. They have long been released, flogged, and flogged again. Listening to Huang blather on isn't what I consider a worthwhile endeavor these days.

It’s not particularly “fun” anymore.

Releases just are the same thing but “faster”. Prices are stupid. And corporatism is at an all time high.

Meanwhile fandom everywhere, even here, is stupid and toxic.

What hardware is supposed to be exciting? We had Intel 14nm for 10 years. Current CPU’s are also not interesting and iterative.
Midrange video cards are dead. Top end is stupidly priced but the only thing worth buying.

Mobos have almost quadrupled in price for less features. Support is at an all time low.

The only gaming and buying that makes sense to me is either being a whale and buying $4000+ computers or being a budget 1080p player and buying every part used for <$1000. Any other type of enthusiast is basically squeezed out if they remotely care about dollar for value.

—————————

EDIT: As for computex in particular, it’s just flashy cases, lights, and fans. I personally only want minimalism and high utility designs. Generally the sort of stuff that doesn’t end up in trade shows.

Last edited:
Tech excitement sort of peaked around 2017.

- Playable resolution for the mainstream budget hasn't really increased since then.
- Game development has had countless issues since then
- Other than RTX, visuals overall have not changed too much
- USB and other I/O has been a confusing and underwhelming shit show since then, especially when compared to the advancements from 2011 to 2017

Not terribly funny. Funniest moments in the Jensen keynote, but only moments. LOL (if train wrecks are "funny")

Nothing particularly exciting, but I've been waiting for the G.Skill DDR5 Trident Royals and glad G.Skill brought them back!

I'm enjoying the coverage - I've always been a sucker for new case designs and accessories. In fact, if I had a choice between going to a gaming focused convention (ie: E3 or Penny Arcade), or Computex, I'd choose Computex.

I only cared to see Jensen drunk on success

Mission accomplished 💪

Never really paid attention to Computex otherwise

I'd say late 90s / early 2000s.
Like music, sports, etc... probably change for everyone according to when they were young/peak followed it.

I too would pick probably late 90s -early 2000s when Internet make it really easy to keep following everything, when you knew the serials numbers for the best week of the 1700+ that would overclock the best in average, when we went from 20-30mhz to 3000 mhz in just 12 years or so, while going from 640kb of ram with some trick to use the rest of the 2-4 mb we had to 512 mb of ram in that same time, from 80mb drive to 160gb one, 1.44mb floppy disk to 700mb cd, everything got multiplied by 100 to 1,000 in a relatively short window.

16/256 color 320x240 to 16-24 bits 1280x1024, ad lib 8bit sound-pc speaker, to quite close to what we have now sound, no 3d card to 9700 pro.

Hard to see what 2023 would not have versus 2017, one possible big difference.

When they talk about PCIx 5.0 or USB 4.0 80gbs bandwidth, I imagine most people have not as a first reflex: cool things will get faster, more praticial, easier, something, but just a general question, would I personally have any use for it or it will only be useful for those who shot and edit RedRaw 4k footage. Back in the days things were slow enough that speed improvement had kind of automatically value, now you often need specific software able to use it. Same for the added DDR5 bandwidth over a high end ddr4...

It was maybe already true by 2017, but I imagine it is more now, say AMD announce the next big difference of the next Ryzen would be to go up to 32 cores, for most they would be worst cpu than the 12-16c versions, while back when we were going from 2-4-8 more core was more obvious as a value to more people.

Last edited:
There are some things of interest (new mobos, drives, cases, etc.) but most of what's being shown doesn't really matter to me. It's not like Nvidia is announcing the 5090 or anything like that at the show. Most of it = misc. components and ancillary tech.

I use it as a glimpse into whats to coming down the pipe. Some stuff doesnt appeal and some does.

Those Frore coolers look interestng if they turn out to be feasible in production.

Back