Computer only boots sideways

DeadByDawn

Limp Gawd
Hi Folks,

I recently transferred my sons working computer components to a new case. I only added a 3 ARGB lian lighted fans. The only other change besides the case. The fan ARGB wiring was pretty bulky.
When the case is upright, it starts up, video card lights up, but the usb keyboard and mouse don’t light up and no bios post, no signal to the monitor.
If I shut it down put it sideways, it will boot up normal and everything works.
I’ve reseated everything a few times. I thought maybe the RTX 2070 was not mounted right when upright, but it just doesn’t seem like the cause.

My only theory is something must be touching the motherboard somewhere behind it when it’s upright.

I was going to pull the mobo out and remount it next. It’s a pain, but wanted to get some other ideas before I do that.

Thanks in advance!

Any chance that there could be a short in one of the wires of the ARGB fan (eg. insulation rubbed off)? Is it possible that there is contact when the case is upright but not when it is on its side? If you disconnect the fan, does it work normally when upright?

My first two tests would be without fans connected in the upright position. If that doesn't work, I would hold the video card up (from sagging) just a smidge and see if it boots. Could be tired pins on the PCIe port.

Thanks all. Some great things to try.

The amount of wiring for the ARGB fans is ridiculous. The daisy chain is impossible to do good wire management. The asus mobo has an “rgb” plug, but not ARGB. So I have to use the remote that comes with the Lian Li fans.

Random though process as well, but... This actually might be the sagging GPU, but not as you think. Many cases have really poor GPU IO alignment. Meaning that when the GPU is in the case, the ports might get partially covered by the material between the expansion slots. This can cause the cable to not plug in all the way. Are you sure the machine isn't actually posting when it's upright versus not getting a video output to the monitor? Unless you have a post code display or LEDs built into the motherboard to validate this, the two issues can look the same. Without knowing what's in the rest of the system, pull the GPU, potentially (if available) use the onboard graphics, and see if you get a picture when it's upright. If you do, you know it's a GPU seating / sag / alignment issue versus some weird grounding issue. Start simple as they're the most likely issues.

Random though process as well, but... This actually might be the sagging GPU, but not as you think. Many cases have really poor GPU IO alignment. Meaning that when the GPU is in the case, the ports might get partially covered by the material between the expansion slots. This can cause the cable to not plug in all the way. Are you sure the machine isn't actually posting when it's upright versus not getting a video output to the monitor? Unless you have a post code display or LEDs built into the motherboard to validate this, the two issues can look the same. Without knowing what's in the rest of the system, pull the GPU, potentially (if available) use the onboard graphics, and see if you get a picture when it's upright. If you do, you know it's a GPU seating / sag / alignment issue versus some weird grounding issue. Start simple as they're the most likely issues.
Another great ideas. I know it has a bios intel video output. Need to try with as a first step.
Thx!

Since you moved stuff to another case and got something that sounds like a shorting issue, I would start by taking out the motherboard even though you are trying to avoid it, and check if there is no surplus motherboard standoffs that causes shorts, depending if they were preseated in mATX or ATX configuration in your case. Its not that uncommon. :)

A couple times I've had a computer not boot, removed the motherboard, booted fine outside case, replaced the motherboard in the case and then it worked fine. I would guess it's a short based on your description.

The only other thing you could try is loosening the screws slightly and shifting the motherboard in the case within the margin of the screw hole. But realistically, I'd just remove it and check the underside even if it is a PITA.

I have a Phenom II X6 system where the logic board had a broken trace(s). When the machine was on it's side it ran... upright no post.

Replaced the main board recently and got rid of the problem. Only cost $20.00

there is a simple nostalgic beauty in stacking your display on top of your desktop (non-tower) pc. I know this doesn't help, but I just wanted you to know.
I saw a desktop PC case that was the base for the monitor at a computer show when LCDs were first hitting the mainstream market. Now you can get an iTX build that mounts on the back of the display using the VESA mounts.

I actually ran into a similar issue with one of my random retro builds that turned out to be the RAM. It wasn't seating properly in the DIMM slot and wasn't making good contact when vertical, but worked when horizontal. I swapped the sticks around while reseating them. Not sure which did the trick, but it was working after that.

Tried every combination.
It started to have issues sideways as well.
Disconnected all the fans off, switched video cards, ram, reseated everything, took mobo out, put it back. Still had the issue with minimum peripherals.

As one last step, I put into one of my old cases.

Issue gone.

I am RMAing the case. Have to pay return shipping which sux, but I was past the return window. It was an awesome looking Lian Li white Mid tower.
My only conclusion is it was the either the case itself causing a short, or maybe the wiring for the switch, etc.

Tried every combination.
It started to have issues sideways as well.
Disconnected all the fans off, switched video cards, ram, reseated everything, took mobo out, put it back. Still had the issue with minimum peripherals.

As one last step, I put into one of my old cases.

Issue gone.

I am RMAing the case. Have to pay return shipping which sux, but I was past the return window. It was an awesome looking Lian Li white Mid tower.
My only conclusion is it was the either the case itself causing a short, or maybe the wiring for the switch, etc.
Odd, perhaps it was the button connectors/RGB? If you checked to be sure none of the mobo posts are off it's likely you could have isolated it and not had to eat return shipping.

Back