Computer froze.

CastletonSnob

Weaksauce
Not really sure where to put this.

A few minutes ago, my computer froze while I was trying to watch a YouTube video. I had to turn the monitor on and off, then go to a different window to get my screen to unfreeze again. This happened a couple of weeks ago, too.

How do I fix this?

You need to start diagnosing what happened.

If you are using windows I would suggest checking the event viewer (windows key and type 'event viewer') at about the time it happened. See any critical red exclamation marks.

You can use that information to search up solutions or post that information here.

spec, browser? could be browser hardware accel, could be drivers, could do that ^^^...
on windows 10/11 you can press winkey+ctrl+shift+b to reset the display driver.

You need to start diagnosing what happened.

If you are using windows I would suggest checking the event viewer (windows key and type 'event viewer') at about the time it happened. See any critical red exclamation marks.

You can use that information to search up solutions or post that information here.
I looked at Event Viewer, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Someone on another site said that it sounded like a GPU problem, but I looked at DirectX Diagnostic Tool, and it said "No problems found", and I looked at Performance on Task Manager, and my GPU seems to be running fine.

Last edited:
Also, the YouTube video I was trying to watch was still playing, because I could hear the sound from the video, it just wasn't moving.

I guess that's not really "freezing", is it?

Also, the YouTube video I was trying to watch was still playing, because I could hear the sound from the video, it just wasn't moving.

I guess that's not really "freezing", is it?
its the display driver crashing. the key combo i posted will reset it. you could also try ddu'ing and reinstalling the newest driver.

Reactions: travm
like this
On a possibly related issue, sometimes not all of the images or thumbnails on a page load, and I have to refresh.

Just a minute ago, I couldn't click on any tabs in the window I had open or scroll my mouse, so I went into the other window, and I was able to click on tabs.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Maybe that'll fix the problem.

I used Device Manager to check for updates, and everything is fine. I also updated Windows.

I guess it's not a driver problem.

Last edited:
When I Googled something just now, the pointer wouldn't turn into a hand, so I couldn't click on links. I could still click on other tabs and windows and click on links there, though, so I guess that's an improvement over not being able to click on other tabs or windows.

Honestly, this is more annoying than anything else. I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with my computer. Being able to move your mouse but not being able to click on links isn't really "freezing", is it?

Back