Comcast data caps are coming in January all over the place

• Thread starter Deleted member 89018
  • Start date
Obligate Comcast customer in the southeast here. Just had the pleasure of running through all their dataplans after my last contract expired.

They offer a hilariously large number of speed tiers, nearly all of which have the 1.2TB monthly cap. Any capped line cap be uncapped for an additional $30 a month.

25Mbps, $20, 1.2TB cap
100Mbps, $35, 1.2TB cap
200Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
300Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
600Mbps, $60, 1.2TB cap
Gigabit, $70, uncapped

Guess the tier I picked.

Obligate Comcast customer in the southeast here. Just had the pleasure of running through all their dataplans after my last contract expired.

They offer a hilariously large number of speed tiers, nearly all of which have the 1.2TB monthly cap. Any capped line cap be uncapped for an additional $30 a month.

25Mbps, $20, 1.2TB cap
100Mbps, $35, 1.2TB cap
200Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
300Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
600Mbps, $60, 1.2TB cap
Gigabit, $70, uncapped

Guess the tier I picked.
I'm in Michigan and have comcast as well. The price difference between what you have there and what I pay is crazy. I pay $73/mo for the 100Mbps plan. I figured that different areas would have somewhat different pricing structures but its half as expensive for you!
On the topic of the data cap, I actually exceeded it for the first time a few months ago. I couldn't believe it because I had only ever gotten up to ~800gig at the most before. But after looking at the traffic/data log in my router, I noticed that watching a 1080p60fps twitch stream uses almost 2gb/hour. I frequently have a tab open w/ a stream in the background or sometimes on my TV in the living room for background noise. Time to end that habit.

I'd gladly pay that... I have a 10GB cap... And you guys cry about 1.2Tb. lol, sorry, not feeling bad for you that you have to pay $100 (current cost + $30) for unlimited. I pay $80 for 10GB... And average around 1mbps. Sadly this is the best option in my area. Starlink can't come soon enough.
Are you by chance on the Moon?

That's pretty bad.

25Mbps, $20, 1.2TB cap
100Mbps, $35, 1.2TB cap
200Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
300Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
600Mbps, $60, 1.2TB cap
Gigabit, $70, uncapped

Guess the tier I picked.

Gigabit

25Mbps, $20, 1.2TB cap
100Mbps, $35, 1.2TB cap
200Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
300Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
600Mbps, $60, 1.2TB cap
Gigabit, $70, uncapped

Guess the tier I picked.

So, if you want it uncapped it is always cheaper to go with Gigabit, except if you have 100Mbit or lower...

Makes sense...

Annoyingly, here, the gigabit is $100 even a month WITH a cap, which costs an additional $30 to remove. Fuck you lack of competition.
Since covid started they basically ignored the caps but this month I finally got a note about using too much data. I routinely use 4-5TB a month.

(This time last year though it was $150 for the 500Mbps plan though, so small improvements?)

Edit: Just went to the website and now they're offering Gigabit for $90 instead of $100. Sure, why not, i'll take $10 off.

The fee for unlimited bandwidth is a lot cheaper than I remember it being. Got it for about $25, I think it used to cost twice that. It's worth the $. Also re-subscribed to all my plans because the prices have gone down all around. If you don't re-subscribe, you're locked in at your older, higher price.

Don't think Verizon doesn't have the same idea. Only takes one company to pull the trigger and the rest will follow.
They most definitley will want to make that kind of move at some point but it wouldn't slide in some areas. Especially in NYC where I am at. They would get booted out of the city by the Governor lol.

Obviously I don't have Comcast, but I'm pretty sure I could try and download a 1.2TB file and it "might" be done by next month.

Are you by chance on the Moon?

That's pretty bad.
No, South Carolina... I'm 20-25 minutes from Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target and a bunch of other stuff... only thing they offer here is satellite internet. It's to expensive for them to run land lines this way, I can't even get cable to my house (no big loss there). I have 4g, but the tower is so overloaded I'm lucky to get 10KB/s (so around 100kbps) with 4g tether. The satellite band is crowded to and routinely drops under 1mbps (It's not uncommon to be around 200kbps). I don't have a hard cap, 10gb is "high speed" data, which I'll sometimes see 5mbps (if nobody else is on). Then low speed kicks in and I'm normally closer to 1mbps with dips much lower (sometimes pages timeout). My ping is around 800ms but spikes well over 1s (sometimes over 2s) if it's congested. It's crappy, but it's what it is. This is the disconnect people talk about when they say rural america doesn't have access to the same benefits, I can barely place an order on Amazon... and 2 day shipping is normally 6-7 days. And I'm not even in the middle of nowhere, I'm 45 minutes from Augusta, GA and about the same to Columbia, SC (and again, close to some pretty decent sized shopping locations). If you aren't in a large city or in a highly packed suburb/neighborhood, it's not worth running lines. It's really been difficult just doing school from home with my kids. This is why I have a home server running Plex (with OTA TV recording) and some game servers along with 6 desktops... just so we can play multiplayer and stream movies, and watch shows etc. You make due with what you have, of course we would love for some better internet, even a consistent 10mbps with sub 100ms pings would be great. Seems like starlink will easily meet that, so I'm really just waiting to throw my money to Elon if he would bring it down this far in the US. I'd happily pay 2x what he's asking considering what I pay for now.

Wow US internet blows. I have been using probably a terrabyte a month for a decade at least. Sucks for people who have zero other options

25Mbps, $20, 1.2TB cap
100Mbps, $35, 1.2TB cap
200Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
300Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
600Mbps, $60, 1.2TB cap
Gigabit, $70, uncapped

Guess the tier I picked.

$70 for uncapped Gigabit? Sign me up. It's about $125 here, before all of the bullshit fees are added.

This have anything to do with the roll back on neutrality or am I off base?

No, it's been in the works for years. There was never anything to prevent it, except public outcry (minimal), and competition. The latter is the big one. Comcrap knows must of us do not have a real alternative, and we'll basically eat whatever crap they throw at us. For example, my options are Comcast, or Centurylink (DSL) - up to gigabit with Comcast, and 40mbps with Centurylink. 40mbps isn't terrible, but it wouldn't provide the bandwidth I need.

Annoyingly, here, the gigabit is $100 even a month WITH a cap, which costs an additional $30 to remove. Fuck you lack of competition.
Since covid started they basically ignored the caps but this month I finally got a note about using too much data. I routinely use 4-5TB a month.

(This time last year though it was $150 for the 500Mbps plan though, so small improvements?)

Edit: Just went to the website and now they're offering Gigabit for $90 instead of $100. Sure, why not, i'll take $10 off.
Gigabit with a 1.2TB data cap is such a freaking joke. Anyone that could make use of gigabit would surely surpass the cap.

I'm sure they will cite bandwidth issues, but the real issue for Comcrap is that they have been reduced to a dumb pipe into people's houses. Their only recourse is to find creative ways to charge for the pipe.

This all could have been avoided, but they refused to allow ala carte Cable channels back in the 90's which then gave rise to streaming services as an alternative to 120+ channel cable packages most of which you never watch.

I have Charter Communications (AKA Spectrum) they have no caps (Yet! and I hope they don't) I only use 200GB a month mostly for *testing* software *Cough* Linux *Cough* ISOs
In my opinion Comcast is one of the best providers out their as they have the most up to date and current back end system I have seen I like the X1 boxes and the voice remote (I snagged a few when I was in Vermont in August I wonder if they are Bluetooth?) anyway Charter still has the Passport box guide UI from 2006 or so! the boxes are almost as old Cisco and a neighbor still has a Scientific Atlanta unit! I do miss the older boxes with a clock and channel display but the X1 platform is really cool!

Not to mention that towns that have tried to take matters into their own hands and provide community internet at cost for the benefit of their town, have found that industry lobbying groups using some incredible backwards logic have convinced state legislators to ban community internet in many states.

They have determined they make more money if they don't fight each other, so they have divvied up territory like some sort of crime syndicate.

The thing is, I don't know how you solve this. You can't exactly break them up, because of how networks work. You'd have two broken up companies sharing the same lines, which wouldn't work.

Fighting them with community internet town by town would do the trick, but there's the ban thing.

I'd like to see the federal government run backbone lines along every interstate, and sell bandwidth at cost to local ISP's for them to provide last mile service.

I'm normally a free market kind of guy, but the ISP's have just taken it too far. They need to be squashed.
I always see people say that bit about ISPs secretly getting together to plot monopolies. Thing is, if you're a business looking to expand your service to a new area, are you gonna chose an area that has competition, or an area that doesn't? I don't have an MBA, but that seems pretty straight forward to figure out where you'll see the best ROI.

We have a ISP in my state, local community ISP fought AT&T and Cox a long while ago, that offers 10 Gbps download and 10 Gbps upload (10 Gbps upload I believe but have to double check one sec) for like $300 a month I think.

Not that bad if you really need it.

This has been in place for a long time - used to be 1 TB, then they postponed limits overall for COVID. Now it's coming back as 1.2 TB apparently. Sort of an arbitrary amount.

This has been in place for a long time - used to be 1 TB, then they postponed limits overall for COVID. Now it's coming back as 1.2 TB apparently. Sort of an arbitrary amount.

I guess it depends on which part of my state if they come for. I haven't seen a letter yet.

If it is just reinstating their old caps it doesn't affect me, but if it's new it does.

I haven't had Comcast at home for a few years; my parents opted to ditch them for AT&T after Comcast went nuts with overages in the stupid 300 GB/month era. 1.2 TB/month isn't enough of an improvement.

Granted, it also meant going from 90/10 to 60/60, because they didn't want to pay up for the gigabit tier, much to my consternation. I'd love to have symmetrical gigabit at home, especially with games getting as bloated as they are nowadays and increasing reliance on upload bandwidth due to work-from-home measures. (Oh, and hosting game servers would be pretty sweet.)

Honestly, both Comcast and AT&T suck, but AT&T stopped sucking a lot less when they dropped the U-verse DSL crap and started rolling out Fiber... and you know why?

Google Fiber came knocking across Atlanta a few years back, and even though they don't quite reach my neighborhood, it was enough to make the incumbent ISPs wake the hell up and offer something competitive when someone offering better service can't be blocked from doing so legally like in many other parts of the country. I know that if I move out, having Google Fiber or any other sort of no-BS gigabit fiber option will be the most important option in selecting a new residence.

As for those of you in other countries wanting to know why ISPs get to charge extortionate rates here in the States? John Oliver explains it all better than I could.
Net Neutrality: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) (youtube.com)
Net Neutrality Update: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (Web Exclusive) - YouTube
Net Neutrality II: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - YouTube

I haven't had Comcast at home for a few years; my parents opted to ditch them for AT&T after Comcast went nuts with overages in the stupid 300 GB/month era. 1.2 TB/month isn't enough of an improvement.

Granted, it also meant going from 90/10 to 60/60, because they didn't want to pay up for the gigabit tier, much to my consternation. I'd love to have symmetrical gigabit at home, especially with games getting as bloated as they are nowadays and increasing reliance on upload bandwidth due to work-from-home measures. (Oh, and hosting game servers would be pretty sweet.)

Honestly, both Comcast and AT&T suck, but AT&T stopped sucking a lot less when they dropped the U-verse DSL crap and started rolling out Fiber... and you know why?

Google Fiber came knocking across Atlanta a few years back, and even though they don't quite reach my neighborhood, it was enough to make the incumbent ISPs wake the hell up and offer something competitive when someone offering better service can't be blocked from doing so legally like in many other parts of the country. I know that if I move out, having Google Fiber or any other sort of no-BS gigabit fiber option will be the most important option in selecting a new residence.

As for those of you in other countries wanting to know why ISPs get to charge extortionate rates here in the States? John Oliver explains it all better than I could.
Net Neutrality: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) (youtube.com)
Net Neutrality Update: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (Web Exclusive) - YouTube
Net Neutrality II: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - YouTube

1 Gbps is nice but you get quickly spoiled once you have it.

Still I am not complaining.

That said, I was able to upgrade my service recently through Comcast to 600 Mbps / 15 Mbps (lol Comcast upload speeds) for $90/mo. Before I was paying $115 for 175 / 5.

I can get 1000 / 35 for $100/mo, but it's still the same data cap.

Symmetrical gigabit fiber through the city is supposed to be coming early next year.

That said, I was able to upgrade my service recently through Comcast to 600 Mbps / 15 Mbps (lol Comcast upload speeds) for $90/mo. Before I was paying $115 for 175 / 5.

I can get 1000 / 35 for $100/mo, but it's still the same data cap.

lol

I just got a notice that I was at 75% of that and I don't download anything, but I do a ton of work with databases over VPN, which must be driving up my usage. Fucking bullshit! Can they even do this if you are mid-contract?

Good news for me is that I have options. Commiecast can stuff it.

Last edited:
I just got a notice that I was at 75% of that and I don't download anything, but I do a ton of work with databases over VPN, which must be driving up my usage. Fucking bullshit! Can they even do this if you are mid-contract?

Good news form me is that I have options. Commiecast can stuff it.
#everythingidontlikeiscommunism

This is capitalism bud, get used to it

1 Gbps is nice but you get quickly spoiled once you have it.

Still I am not complaining.
Yep I used to have 100 up I dropped most of the TV package and went to 200 up that is quite a difference my *Cough* Linux *Cough downloads are a lot quicker now!
#everythingidontlikeiscommunism

This is capitalism bud, get used to it
Yep I hate it also

The Charter aquisition restrictions clock is ticking. Only a matter of time before those of us with Charter have to deal with the same stuff.

25Mbps, $20, 1.2TB cap
100Mbps, $35, 1.2TB cap
200Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
300Mbps, $50, 1.2TB cap
600Mbps, $60, 1.2TB cap
Gigabit, $70, uncapped

Guess the tier I picked.

Still rocking that 25Mbps but now uncapped, huh?

Yep I used to have 100 up I dropped most of the TV package and went to 200 up that is quite a difference my *Cough* Linux *Cough downloads are a lot quicker now!

Yep I hate it also

I haven't found much that can upload at 1 Gbps. Now downloading at 1 Gbps is a different story.

Most uploads max out at 250 Mbps to 550 Mbps for me. Not saying it is not possible to get 940 Mbps upload speed though.

(I know I said 1 Gbps download and 1 Gbps upload which you really never get sense because of tcp/ip overhead)

Comcast has been like that here in Denver for along time now. We switched to CL/Lumen 940/940 fiber a few months ago. $65.

A CL rep I talk to on reddit said they plan on cracking down with a 1tb cap here soon unless you switch to business at the same price.

Comcast has been like that here in Denver for along time now. We switched to CL/Lumen 940/940 fiber a few months ago. $65.

A CL rep I talk to on reddit said they plan on cracking down with a 1tb cap here soon unless you switch to business at the same price.

That sucks.

Back