CoD: Black Ops 3 Marketing Stunt Gone Wrong?

So they tweeted? If people only get their news from twitter..........

Ugh. Not reading the article btw.

It clearly comes from the Call of Duty Twitter handle. How can you get upset over that? It's not like they tried to obfuscate it to make it look legit.

People are stupid.

So do people that don't know what Call of Duty is follow their twitter feed?

All you need is one person that reposts it to a Twitter feed where the users are NOT gamers for the story to spread like wildfire as truth.

Specially because they tried to pass it off as a "Current Events Aggregated"... if they wouldn't have done that last part, then sure np, but doing that = douchebag move.

Not sure what side of the fence I am on with this. On one hand, it is distasteful and possibly misleading, on the other hand, it isn't a big deal. How many times have these kinds of things originated from TheOnion because people were not paying attention to the source?

Somebody at EA forgot to bring their brain with them to work.

Dr Groeteschele was wrong, Marketers and lawyers will be the only ones that survive WW3, since they are the closest things to cockroaches.

Might have been more believable if they had said Obama had declared a state of emergency and declared martial law, especially if this was just a month before then election :)

that's like yelling fire in a movie theater when there is no fire. martial law is a real thing over there and does happen in east asia.

Not sure what side of the fence I am on with this. On one hand, it is distasteful and possibly misleading, on the other hand, it isn't a big deal. How many times have these kinds of things originated from TheOnion because people were not paying attention to the source?

Many people believe it, even if the source is The Onion.

Verify your sources. There are tweets that the US never sent people to the moon. Or that the Earth is 6000 years old. Or many other stupid things. This is just one of many. I don't see the problem. If people believe that with one tweet and no other sources mentioning it, then that's their bad. Kind of like the death hoaxes or a post telling Mark Zuckerberg you don't give him permission to access and share your personal data....

Many people believe it, even if the source is The Onion.

Verify your sources. There are tweets that the US never sent people to the moon. Or that the Earth is 6000 years old. Or many other stupid things. This is just one of many. I don't see the problem. If people believe that with one tweet and no other sources mentioning it, then that's their bad. Kind of like the death hoaxes or a post telling Mark Zuckerberg you don't give him permission to access and share your personal data....

Someone a few weeks ago (politician maybe?) posted or tweeted an Onion article thinking it was real.

I'm posting this so [H]ardform and Facebook cannot copyright my mindthoughts and underwear selfies and all rights, responsibilities thereof...something something something.

But Singapore, if they did declare martial law you'd probably not notice too much of a difference anyway.

Didn't read the article linked but that tweet pic on the [H]OCP page doesn't show anything relating the content to be a video game related tweet. The handle "CallofDuty" doesn't mean its a video game if you didn't know Call of Duty was a game in the first place. This is one of those things marketing people should likely think twice about before posting something like that however, I can totally see them not realizing what it could intone and it being unintentional. A follow up tweet to clarify is all that should really be needed.

It's like believing the Onion. Seriously people need to understand their sources of information.

Back