Cleaning to convert loop from silver+copper to all nickle?

thesecond

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey folks, I have an idea here, tell me if i'm being to paranoid.

I currently have a Dangerden monsoon reservoir with a silver plug in it, and all copper blocks, running distilled water.
I'm looking at current production watercooling stuff, and most of it seems to be nickel and pure copper stuff is getting less common. Therefore, I figure i'll just switch all my stuff to nickel, and keep my pump, res, and radiator.

I understand that silver + nickel is a big nono. Do you think that having silver in my reservoir for 6 years would contaminate my pump, res, and radiator with silver ions? What sort of flush do i have to do to prevent the leftover silver from peeling the nickel plating in my future build?

Thanks

Any time you see nickel that means nickel coated copper. Most water blocks are stil copper with a nickel coating. Silver kill coils have been a common fixture of water cooling for a long time so I do not see a problem. Nickel plating will always wear off and the underlying copper will still perform the same. Clean out your system with either diluted vinegar or some cleaner like premochill offers and dont worry about it. Just make sure you dont have aluminum contacting the water and you are good.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Any time you see nickel that means nickel coated copper. Most water blocks are stil copper with a nickel coating. Silver kill coils have been a common fixture of water cooling for a long time so I do not see a problem. Nickel plating will always wear off and the underlying copper will still perform the same. Clean out your system with either diluted vinegar or some cleaner like premochill offers and dont worry about it. Just make sure you dont have aluminum contacting the water and you are good.
I understand that nickel is plating over copper.

However, internet consensus and EK's own warranty states that putting silver in a loop with nickel will strip the plating. And they recommend using a coolant - not distilled water - for long life. Internet consensus supports this, as i've seen lots of non-damaged nickel blocks in old loops as long as they don't use silver.

What I'm asking here: are the silver ions in my fittings, reservoir, and radiator, numerous enough to damage any future blocks? And if so, how do I flush them out.

I want to re use my stuff without damaging any future nickel plated stuff that I introduce to the loop.

EK cheaped out on their nickel plating and tried to blame everything else, even after there was evidence their plating was shit. If you care about warranty, go ahead and pay the $15-30 for their premixed coolant.

When you start talking about silver ions in the loop, youve gone over my head friend. Hopefully someone else can give you an answer on that one.

There is silver in the solder that seals the radiator end tanks. And pure DI water is bad for copper.

But we are using small systems with low thermal loads with overpowered pumps running coolant with short life spans before we swap it out.

So the reality is that you are overthinking it . 99% of plating failures in these applications could be traced to bad plating/surface prep and not the coolant/loop

Back