Clean Windows install from USB with existing license

PiSquared

Limp Gawd
Hi folks. I'm finally upgrading from Ivy Bridge and my GTX 970. I have a lot of crap on my existing ssd so I don't want to clone it to a new one. I would like to boot up my new computer using USB and then install Windows fresh, but I don't want to get another license.

Is there an easy way to put a new install on USB if you have a license already? Old computer will be dismantled so only one device will use my MS account/license.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

What kind of OS license are you using? Is it an OEM or Retail version of Windows? Generally a Windows 10 license becomes tied to your motherboard. That is why you can do a fresh install on the same motherboard and it will activate automatically. If it's an OEM license, then there is no legal way to transfer that to a new motherboard. If it's a Retail license, then you should be able to deactivate it on your old computer and then activate it on your new computer.

Alternatively, if you have an old copy of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 somewhere, you can try to install that on your new hardware temporarily, and then upgrade to Windows 10, since the free Windows 10 upgrade still works.

What kind of OS license are you using? Is it an OEM or Retail version of Windows? Generally a Windows 10 license becomes tied to your motherboard. That is why you can do a fresh install on the same motherboard and it will activate automatically. If it's an OEM license, then there is no legal way to transfer that to a new motherboard. If it's a Retail license, then you should be able to deactivate it on your old computer and then activate it on your new computer.

Alternatively, if you have an old copy of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 somewhere, you can try to install that on your new hardware temporarily, and then upgrade to Windows 10, since the free Windows 10 upgrade still works.

It's from the first version of Windows 7. Ancient! So I need to boot from a CD to install it and then upgrade, huh?

It's from the first version of Windows 7. Ancient! So I need to boot from a CD to install it and then upgrade, huh?

If you have a DVD drive, that would probably be the easiest way. Once Windows 7 is installed, you can upgrade to Windows 10 using the upgrade assistant or the media creation tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

In most cases you can upgrade from a stock Windows 7 install to Windows 10 right away, but I've had a few computers fail to upgrade to Windows 10 unless I did Windows Updates on Windows 7 first.

I would like to boot up my new computer using USB and then install Windows fresh, but I don't want to get another license.
I too have my windows 10 pro license from using free upgrade from 7 to 8 to 10 from my original windows 7 pro key.

Before formatting your current install you can use a tool to give you your current system key:
https://www.techspot.com/guides/1760-find-your-windows-product-key/

I used ShowKeyPlus(https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7129-showkeyplus.html) it gave me an Installed Key and an original key, when installing a fresh windows 10 one of those 2 keys did work ( I think it was the original one)

Windows 10 saves your info, it will likely register again on its own if you just change the SSD. If not, Jellybean magic key finder will pull your key from the OS. If you have the Windoiws 7 key, you can clean install Win 10 and use the win 7 key to activate it still.

Back