Clean up and retrofit my 2012 full-tower case with USB-C or get a new mid-tower case?

Said 2012 case is a Cooler Master HAF X.

So a while ago my old z77 build from late 2012 died on me, and it would have cost as much if not more than modern boards to get a replacement of the same board.... so I decided to basically build a new system with just the most core components new and try to re-use anything else not critical (Case, gpu, drives, etc).

This took...... a LOT longer than expected because I was not aware of the parts shortage, even getting stuff like RAM or a PSU took forever.

Anyway, so I removed all the components from my old case and was using an electric air-duster to blow as much dust as I could out for about 15-30 minutes.... but even with all this there is still a fine layer of dust everywhere and all the filters are caked with it. I also noticed that the PSU filter, which was the worst off, is designed in a way where you have to remove the PSU to get at it. And being from 2012, this case is lacking in modern ports, it no surprise has no USB-C and it has a useless Firewire port that even in 2012 was not connected to anything.

My original plans were to clean up and re-use this case, and see if I can somehow connect a USB-C front-panel to it. (And I mean a PROPER one that connects into the motherboard's USB-C header, not one of those that just take a USB3 port and SATA power and try to jank up some USB-C connector with it). There is also the issue that the fans were almost all included and are running at 8-9 years now, so they will likely start to fail and need to be replaced soon.

But now I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and just get a new case too.

Issue is, since I still like to use optical drives (Let's not start arguments about this please, no an external will not work out) and have several other drives in it, as well as will have to have more during a transition phase as I slowly try to replace the old hardware with newer variants as I can afford it (such as replacing the 2.5 SATA SSDs with M.2 NVMEs) I need a case that has all the bays/ports I need.

Basically I am looking for a case that is: At least mid-tower, at least 1 external 5.25 bay, at least 5 internal 3.5 bays, at least 2 2.5 bays, 2x usb 2.0, 2x usb 3.0, and usb-c. There are several cases like this, and the one I have settled on the most is the Fractal Define 7.

At first I thought a mid-tower would not work out, but I am surprised how large GPUs and how many internal drives as well as external 5.25 bays some of them can have (The Fractal Define R5 for example has two 5.25 bays, EIGHT 3.5 bays, and two 2.5 bays), so I think I might be able to make a mid-tower work if I can't find a decent full-tower.

There is a 7XL as well which is a full tower, and I would have preferred to get that over the mid-tower 7, but I am not sure that will work out. My main two issues with the 7 that my HAF X does not have are that there is no side-fan, the USB ports are on the top instead of on the side (Which will restrict me to the mid-tower, since my old HAF X just BARELY fit under my desk with some minimal clearance for some axillary top exhaust fans, I would not be able to use the USB ports if they are facing up), and it's design basically is pretty "dull"..... which is a very minor complaint mind you. Sure it would be cool if I could use all the RGB options of my new board, but I am perfectly fine with no lighting whatsoever as well. It's the side-fan and position of the USB that are the main problems.

So I wanted to ask people's options what they think I should do. Should I try to clean up (if I can) the years of caked-in dust of my old 2012 case and retrofit a USB-C port in the front of it, dealing with the near-unremovable-unless-I-remove-the-PSU-filter and old fans, or should I spend additional money getting a case that I would have to get in mid-tower format, but has no side-fan and "looks dull"? (Not to mention significantly less features like no hot-swap bays and such that my HAF X has).

Or is there another case, mid or full tower, that suits me better/has less compromises over my old one that one can recommend?

I removed all the components, but I can't figure out how to remove the built-in electronics like the ports, so a shower is not an option unless I can do that.

And another problem with going that route you linked is finding a quality cable that doesn't skirt on the specs/regulations and cause a risk of a short or damage. (Not to mention one that's also long enough to go from my motherboard header to the front of the case, I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Header-Type-C-Extension-Cable-15inch/dp/B07DV86Y4Z/ provided I can disconnect that back-bracket)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I removed all the components, but I can't figure out how to remove the built-in electronics like the ports, so a shower is not an option unless I can do that.

And another problem with going that route you linked is finding a quality cable that doesn't skirt on the specs/regulations and cause a risk of a short or damage. (Not to mention one that's also long enough to go from my motherboard header to the front of the case, I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Header-Type-C-Extension-Cable-15inch/dp/B07DV86Y4Z/ provided I can disconnect that back-bracket)
they are usually on a pcb secured with a couple of screws.

If i remember correctly you have to remove a plastic cover to get at the io panel. Or am i thinking of the stc-t01? Ill have to go down and take a look this evening.

I may be a little cantankerous, but I picked my current motherboard because it didn't have USB-C (among other things). I like it on my phone, but I don't need it for my computer. USB-A makes more sense to me. If I did want USB-C, though, I'd rather just have it on the backplate?

So what I'm saying is... Your case works, so you can keep using it. It's a lot harder to find cases with external drives bays these days. A new case will get dusty too. Clean it the best you can and get on with your build.

Id agree. The haf x is a great case. Especially for quiet air cooling. If your happy with its features id just stick with it. You wont find anything like it in a case today. Youll find some with similarities here and there but thats about it. Some have extra storage options but you wont find anything with a side fan or removable bay covers etc. You know the saying, they dont make em like they used to. Mod it up and enjoy. Or dont and keep it handy ;)
Id still be using mine if i hadnt decided to go all out wcing on my last build. Regardless ill never get rid of it. Ill use it again eventually, sooner rather than later.

I may be a little cantankerous, but I picked my current motherboard because it didn't have USB-C (among other things). I like it on my phone, but I don't need it for my computer. USB-A makes more sense to me. If I did want USB-C, though, I'd rather just have it on the backplate?

That seems..... kinda silly? If there is a motherboard with an optional feature you don't want, then you can just.... not use that feature? My motherboard has headers for water cooling/pumps.... but I have no intention of water cooling. I am just simply not going to use those features, rather than go out of my way to find a board that does not have them.

And the back of my case isn't very easily accessible, most stuff plugged into the back is designed to stay there. It would be a pain to use the back for something that I would be plugging in-out often. Plus the board has a built-in USB-C port in the back too, I wanted to use it's header to wire one up in the front.

So what I'm saying is... Your case works, so you can keep using it. It's a lot harder to find cases with external drives bays these days. A new case will get dusty too. Clean it the best you can and get on with your build.

Id agree. The haf x is a great case. Especially for quiet air cooling. If your happy with its features id just stick with it. You wont find anything like it in a case today. Youll find some with similarities here and there but thats about it. Some have extra storage options but you wont find anything with a side fan or removable bay covers etc. You know the saying, they dont make em like they used to. Mod it up and enjoy. Or dont and keep it handy ;)
Id still be using mine if i hadnt decided to go all out wcing on my last build. Regardless ill never get rid of it. Ill use it again eventually, sooner rather than later.

Yeah, been getting a lot of recommendations to keep my current case, so I am going to go that route. Will try to see if I can maybe fit a USB-C header cable among all the other front-panel ports, I think there might just barely be room for me to put one in with a drill or so.

The case is currently about as disassembled as it can possibly get without removing permanent fixtures like bolts, which I have no intention of doing. Ran out of wet-wipes cleaning it though, will have to get more. This repair/upgrade is taking forever.

So, in sticking with my HAF X case, I was advised to use wet wipes to try to clean out the dust/dirt that blowing air just won't get out. Of course I took all the components and as much of the electronics out of my case first. (The only parts left were the front-panel ports, power/reset switches, and a small PCB that other than molex and SATA connectors just had some capacitors on it for the hot-swap SATA bays.

I had some Wet Ones brand wipes, so I decided to just use those. After a few hours of cleaning however I noticed that my fingers were getting sticky. I tried different parts of the case and noticed that parts of it which had been recently cleaned were sticky after cleaning, and other parts that had more time to dry were not.

I never thought about if the wet wipes could have chemicals in them that would have been a bad idea to use on my case, or if they could leave residue that could cause problems. (The ones I got have a blue label and claim "Vitamin E and Aloe" and "Cleans and Nourishes Skin" but otherwise don't mention much). Is this something I might need to worry about, or am I just being paranoid? Should I also go over everything with a damn paper towel to wipe off residue or would THAT be a bad idea and/or could lead to rust or other problems?

I would wipe it off with a damp rag and dry it with a dry rag right after to get rid of the residue.

I don't actually have much spare rags to use, especially clean ones that would not fall apart near electronics.

I just got these wipes that claim they only contain alcohol and nothing else, and are for electronics. Would these do the job?

Bringing back memories of my old HAF-X.

Either way for cleaning it, depending on what your weather in your area, I would have just taken any wiring out and hit the thing with the hose + dish soap and a brush then just let it dry.

I don't actually have much spare rags to use, especially clean ones that would not fall apart near electronics.

I just got these wipes that claim they only contain alcohol and nothing else, and are for electronics. Would these do the job?

I would test them out before doing the whole thing. They may leave streaks on the paint.
Any old wash cloth or even an old t-shirt in a pinch will work. Just make sure the wash cloth is a dark color so the old lady doesnt kick your ass for dirtying up her towels.

Leaf blower? LOL

When I have to clean out long neglected cases, I try to remove fans if possible and pull out everything I can (drives, PSU etc). Big furballs can be vac'd out. I also use a washrag slightly damp with rubbing alcohol to rub down the big surfaces. I try to do as much as I can this way before resorting to can air... I have wasted 3 cans of air on a single case before. Save the air for the PSU and fans

I too hate to throw away perfectly good cases because they lack new ports. You can mod or buy adapters.

And I agree with MNEWXCV, you can mod any new port in you need. You can cut out a USB header or if the case is old enough to have drive bays just drill out a bay filler. Actually if it still has drive bays, use a drive bay adapter for an empty 3.5 or 5.25 slot

https://www.amazon.com/axGear-USB-C-Floppy-Internal-Bracket/dp/B07XQJC36K

$20 for that one and you could just take out the internals and mod into your case somewhere as well

I wouldn't use alcohol wipes. I've had instances where it left streaks on the plastic.

Get some distilled water, its like $1 at the grocery store. Personally I would warm it up but you don't have to, soak a microfiber cloth in it and use that to clean your case.

Another tip, Duct tape a soft bristle 1" inch paint brush to the end of your vacuum cleaner hose, while youre using the brush to dust the case, the vacuum sucks it up.

Leaf blower? LOL

When I have to clean out long neglected cases, I try to remove fans if possible and pull out everything I can (drives, PSU etc). Big furballs can be vac'd out. I also use a washrag slightly damp with rubbing alcohol to rub down the big surfaces. I try to do as much as I can this way before resorting to can air... I have wasted 3 cans of air on a single case before. Save the air for the PSU and fans

I too hate to throw away perfectly good cases because they lack new ports. You can mod or buy adapters.

And I agree with MNEWXCV, you can mod any new port in you need. You can cut out a USB header or if the case is old enough to have drive bays just drill out a bay filler. Actually if it still has drive bays, use a drive bay adapter for an empty 3.5 or 5.25 slot

https://www.amazon.com/axGear-USB-C-Floppy-Internal-Bracket/dp/B07XQJC36K

$20 for that one and you could just take out the internals and mod into your case somewhere as well

I used to use my air compressor and spray nozzle. Then one work trip I needed to blow out a really dirty computer in the machine shop and their compressor was down.

I despise wasting money on canned air and also knew it wouldn't work all that well so I bought one of those electric blowers made for cleaning out computers. Now that it what I pretty much use all the time.

Doesn't work quite as well as the air compressor but it gets probably 98% as much as the air compressor would.

I have not bought canned air in the last 20 years. Probably saved $1,000 or more by using an air compressor for most of that time.

Plus canned air sucks as the pressure drops really quickly and the can gets super cold requiring time to let it warm back up before you can use it for a few more seconds. Such a huge water of time and money.

Plus canned air sucks as the pressure drops really quickly and the can gets super cold requiring time to let it warm back up before you can use it for a few more seconds. Such a huge water of time and money.

All true. I thought about buying one of the little $50 harbor freight pancake compressors, but am afraid of moisture, not sure if safe for computers.

+1 for the datavac. Blows better than compressed air and no switching between cans when they get too cold. Mine has long sinse
paid for itself.

I just bought one of these things years ago to avoid all the issues with canned air. I don't have to be careful not to angle it to it doesn't spray out liquids like canned air as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW

Hmmm. I have a Coleman AC powered air pump that puts out a ton of air for mattresses, floats, etc. If I could find some kind of adapter to make the nozzle smaller (the smallest of 2 on it now is sized for rafts etc) I could probably use that. Something better than a straw and duct tape anyway :)

Hmmm. I have a Coleman AC powered air pump that puts out a ton of air for mattresses, floats, etc. If I could find some kind of adapter to make the nozzle smaller (the smallest of 2 on it now is sized for rafts etc) I could probably use that. Something better than a straw and duct tape anyway :)
Careful abusing using stuff meant for more heavy-duty/industrial use to clean small electronics. People have utterly wrecked their devices that way because some of those belch static/moisture, or the pressure is so strong it can tear off some of the electronics.

Careful abusing using stuff meant for more heavy-duty/industrial use to clean small electronics. People have utterly wrecked their devices that way because some of those belch static/moisture, or the pressure is so strong it can tear off some of the electronics.
Oh I doubt it is that powerful. Basically a camping hair dryer type blower minus the heat

Back