Classic Shell broken by Win 10 update - any resolution?

Chevy-SS

Limp Gawd
My nifty Classic Shell program (it recreates the classic style Start menu) has been broken by newest Win10 updating. I went to sourceforge.net but the latest version of Classic Shell they have is from 2017.

Does anyone know where to get an updated Classic Shell program, or has it gone the way of the dinosaur?

Thanks.......................;)

Classic shell development was stopped long ago. Just get used to it. I was going to install it when I switched a short while ago to 10. But then I didn't and now I don't care too.

You might want to take a look at Open-Shell. It's what I have running and I haven't had any trouble with it. It's also supposed to be based off or a continuation of Classic Shell.

You might want to take a look at Open-Shell. It's what I have running and I haven't had any trouble with it. It's also supposed to be based off or a continuation of Classic Shell.

Classic Shell is now Open Shell: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Update and you'll be fine.

Thanks guys! I will get me some Open Shell.............................:):):):):):):):):):)

EDIT: got it installed, works great, thanks again

------------------------------------

Last edited:
which version AND what is the symbols 7zip for?

I curious as I wanted a replace for classic shell in my Win10 build and am "sketchy" after reading some possible non compliance / security issue with current versions 4.1.4.2
(certainly not want to hose my build..even though a few things I expect work proper in 10, do not since I believe was 1803...

please advise I would appreciate it, very much ^.^

which version AND what is the symbols 7zip for?

I curious as I wanted a replace for classic shell in my Win10 build and am "sketchy" after reading some possible non compliance / security issue with current versions 4.1.4.2
(certainly not want to hose my build..even though a few things I expect work proper in 10, do not since I believe was 1803...

please advise I would appreciate it, very much ^.^
I’ve had zero issues with Open Shell. It’s literally exactly them same as before. Just go to the direct download page. It’s less confusing: https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/

I’ve had zero issues with Open Shell. It’s literally exactly them same as before. Just go to the direct download page. It’s less confusing: https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/

links to same as from google search first link (which brings to git.hub for my search at least)
which leads to my initial question (i.e confuddled me if not so eloquent in wording properly ) ^.^

OpenShellSetup_4_4_142.exe6.74 MB
Symbols.7z16.3 MB
Source code(zip)
Source code(tar.gz)

I not worry about the last 2, the first one is obvious the installer

what is symbols ?

are YOU using most recent version 4.4.142 ?

for win10

thanks much

I downloaded and am using the .exe file. Works fine. BitDefender doesn’t detect anything weird. Symbols is just the application files by themselves instead of the installer.

Last edited:
which version number, seeing as the link brings me to the same page with the whole list of various version numbers?

(I take it no idea what symbols 7zip file is for) ?

LOL ....

Dude just download the exe. The version is irrelevant. This is not a big deal.

Yeah, this ^^^^^^^^^^..... the top line on your list.

I got lazy and did not even un-install Classic Shell, but Open Shell exe took care of everything. Works like a charm. Nifty little program....... ;)

It's been several updates since I felt the need for classic shell. The newer Win 10 builds have much better start menus.

Back