choosing 24GB for X58

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
So, I am still nursing this ASUS R3F/i7 970 setup along and have recently been getting application low RAM notices and crashes with the loads I work with every day.

The rig currently has 3x4GB of GSkill Ripjaws PC3-12800 (F3-12800CL9-4GBRL) in it and sits at about 60% RAM utilization without any game open with just my (admittedly strenuous) 24/7 processes.

I started a FS/T thread in search of more RAM and people pointed out to me the challenges of getting 6 sticks actually working on X58. I thought it was inappropriate to spam FS/T with that so wanted to open further discussion in a more appropriate place.

Newegg has 3x4GB Ripjaws that looks like it would match mine for $103, but I see quite a few google hits of problems with this combination. The one available option that it looks like people have had decent luck with is a complete 6x4GB Corsair kit for $210. I'd rather not pay that but I will if it is really my best option.

In the FS/T thread folks were reporting that they had 3x8GB setups working, though they were all using Xeons and possible differences in the memory controller were unclear. If that is really a thing, getting a hex Xeon for this and bumping this gulftown down to the, currently quad core, #2 rig is a possibility.

Please refrain from advising me to upgrade the platform, for various reasons that is not happening right now. This setup will last me through one more GPU upgrade. That die is cast, thanks.

If you have had any experience getting 24GB working in a similar setup I would love to hear your thoughts. And if you happen to have an old kit you are willing to part with please chime in.

Thanks guys,

Last edited:
Just in case if you were curious, I have 48GB running on my Asus R2E X58 with a i7-970 I bought from a member here.

3 sets of: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F3-1600C10D-16GAO

Yeah, that is interesting. That is the second report I have seen of someone running 48GB. It seems pretty odd with the pile of threads out there of people having trouble when populating all the slots, but obviously you are getting away with it.

Maybe I should head that direction, I really did not think I would need more than 12GB over the life of this rig but here we are.

You shouldn't have any issues running 6 sticks. You could do 3x8GB if you were worried tho

I have a friend who runs 48GB with his 980X (not sure what board he has), so its definitely doable. I haven't tried yet with my X58 setup.

What is with all the DDR3 listings, ebay and newegg, that say "for AMD chipset" ??

What is with all the DDR3 listings, ebay and newegg, that say "for AMD chipset" ??

High density RAM. The older Intel chipsets (DDR1/DDR2 era) wouldn't boot with high density modules.

Attachments

• Asus Rampage III Extreme.jpg
    Asus Rampage III Extreme.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 23
thanks nanoscale, solid examples are very helpful

holy cow, $420 to load it up...wow

I am going to pull the trigger on something pretty soon, treat myself to a little xmas

bumping this thread just to see if any more suggestions wander in

Back