Weaksauce
sJVgoIX.jpg

I finally finished this Thursday Night:
5950x - Asus Crosshair X570 Hero
3000 Corsair something Ram. I broke my ram somewhere in this project
1HP 11500 BTU @78f Penguin Chiller
NewAir Convertible Refrigerator / Freezer

fy9LyuD.jpg

Lil shot of my desk. Second monitor is under the glass.

wvWndw4.jpg

I originally was hoping for 33f / 0.5c coolant 24/7 year round. This is not going to be possible. As the room dewpoint was far above the chiller, as expected, the chiller collected condensation.

id3yAgN.jpg

The condensation froze. It froze at 34f / 1c one night, and 35f / 1.6c another night. Hopefully have to keep testing.

9FWTTMb.jpg

Room Sensor
Sensor 1 - Top of Reservoir
Sensor 2 - Bottom of refrigerator
Sensor 3 - laying on motherboard.
I wish I put two fans to motherboard headers so I could turn them on and off with the PC. Slight circulation of air gives great results. I had a battery powered fan I tossed in there, which is now out of juice.

9K524Q2.png

Here are a peak at some temps after 80 minutes of Cyberpunk. The CPU is set PBO, the GPU I hadn't overclocked yet.

Interesting.

I have often considered using a water chiller in a loop, but never quite gotten around to it.

Have toy noticed any benefits from going that low?

My plan was to just keep it ambient, or maybe slightly subambient, but above the dewpoint.

Interesting.

I have often considered using a water chiller in a loop, but never quite gotten around to it.

Have toy noticed any benefits from going that low?

My plan was to just keep it ambient, or maybe slightly subambient, but above the dewpoint.
My Take is:

Pro's
Everything considerably faster.
It's fun, and benching is fun.
It's consistent temps everyday (with the Refrigerator).
It's addicting, I cannot go back to the way things were.

Cons:
Expensive, not good value.
Loud, but gaming with headphones, it's not really noticeable. (66dba measured at the desk.)
Not Noticeable in most games. Cyberpunk I notice it.

My Take is:

Pro's
Everything considerably faster.
It's fun, and benching is fun.
It's consistent temps everyday (with the Refrigerator).
It's addicting, I cannot go back to the way things were.

Cons:
Expensive, not good value.
Loud, but gaming with headphones, it's not really noticeable. (66dba measured at the desk.)
Not Noticeable in most games. Cyberpunk I notice it.

So, to be clear, you have found that you are getting better clocks at near freezing than at ambient?

This would have been a stupid question years ago, but I just don't know how these chips respond to lower temps these days.

Yeah, I'd imagine the noise could be a problem.

In my theoretical build, my plan was to use an aquarium chiller to bring things down to ambient or just below (but above dewpoint) and run insulated tubing to another room out of earshot and only have some airflow fans in the case in the room at very low inaudible RPM's.

In my theoretical build, my plan was to use an aquarium chiller to bring things down to ambient or just below (but above dewpoint) and run insulated tubing to another room out of earshot and only have some airflow fans in the case in the room at very low inaudible RPM's.
That would be so nice! I want to put the chiller in another room so you cannot hear it. Then it would be the dream.

If you get a strong enough chiller yes faster! I was in the top100 for Port Royal on AMD, and you'll notice most are Intel. Recently I got knocked off but I plan to be back in again.
My AMD I had unstable at 4.95 all-core, stable at 4.9. I changed the block to EKWB Monoblock and it's now 4.85 stable, 4.9 unstable. I would switch back but I ordered the new intel and I'm hoping to have fun with it. I'll update my settings here.

That would be so nice! I want to put the chiller in another room so you cannot hear it. Then it would be the dream.

If you get a strong enough chiller yes faster! I was in the top100 for Port Royal on AMD, and you'll notice most are Intel. Recently I got knocked off but I plan to be back in again.
My AMD I had unstable at 4.95 all-core, stable at 4.9. I changed the block to EKWB Monoblock and it's now 4.85 stable, 4.9 unstable. I would switch back but I ordered the new intel and I'm hoping to have fun with it. I'll update my settings here.

That's cool stuff.

I'm not sure I want to go to the extreme (and often messy) measures necessary to moisture-proof the system for running at sub-dewpoint, but I could definitely see myself picking back up the chiller project again at some point, and tweaking it to run just above the dewpoint.

That's cool stuff.

I'm not sure I want to go to the extreme (and often messy) measures necessary to moisture-proof the system for running at sub-dewpoint, but I could definitely see myself picking back up the chiller project again at some point, and tweaking it to run just above the dewpoint.

I did sub ambient for years, but the motherboard always eventually paid the price as stopping condensation of any kind is quite difficult. But as power draws on the cpu kept going up and up and it just was no longer practical to keep using it, now my phase change cooler sits in the closet. Also chips can suffer from a cold bug which makes life difficult as well, so I would just use a chiller these days as it's easier to manages the loops temperature that way.

I did sub ambient for years, but the motherboard always eventually paid the price as stopping condensation of any kind is quite difficult. But as power draws on the cpu kept going up and up and it just was no longer practical to keep using it, now my phase change cooler sits in the closet. Also chips can suffer from a cold bug which makes life difficult as well, so I would just use a chiller these days as it's easier to manages the loops temperature that way.
What's the cold bug?

What's the cold bug?

My recollection was that some systems (particularly pre-Bulldozer AMD chips) would get really confused at boot time if the on board thermistor indicated that the core temp was significantly below ambient and refuse to boot.

I can't remember the details though.

I didn't think that was a concern anymore, but I really haven't kept up.

What's the cold bug?

At a certain temperature below freezing some processors would either stop working or become unstable. Also some would refuse to boot up if they were to cold as well. To this day it's still a problem but it's very random issue that typically become a bigger issue with ln2 cooling. Also why your biggest overclockers always get a few chips as some will be duds due to that reason. This was a more serious concern to people like me that were using phase change cooling to cool the processor well below freezing even under heavy overclocks and voltage. These days trying to push a chip that hard gains you far less improvement now.

Very cool, props for actually doing it.

I always wanted to do this when I was younger but never had the funds. Now that I have grown up money the gains just aren't worth the cost \ effort to me anymore.

It's really cool to see people like you still going above and beyond to get every last bit of performance.

Back