Chieftec Dragon clone ...

BlackDragon1971

Limp Gawd
I just won an Auction on a Cheiftec Dragon mid tower clone. All RED and New Old Stock... still has the factory plastic wrap on it...
Likely an Antec from the look of it. Has all the drive rails too.
Pics when it arrives...
maybe there is some Dremel and rivet action going on for a future project. Maybe some custom W/C instead of AIO's...
I'll know when I see it, but have been wanting to flip the rear panel and motherboard tray... go from ATX form factor to a BTX form factor.... right side window and upside down mobo tray, instead of the left side / normal mobo tray orientation.
That way the Dragon benefits from a rerouted PSU and has some organization options...
Have to have a look / see when it arrives. It's different from my actual Chieftec Dragon server case in a few aspects.

BlackDragon

These are the Sellers photos....

Red Dragon Front.jpg

Red Dragon Side Window.jpg

Red Dragon Back.jpg

Red Dragon Bottom.jpg

Last edited:
Brings back memories. Had my first custom loop in one of these. Cut out the front cages and grills and put a Bonneville heater core and 2x120mm fans
considering a 2x120 on a roof rack, with tube pass through, like the Corsair 400R has... like to keep the 2x 80mm rear fan mounts... they were a tidy bit of kit back in the day. I bought my Chieftec Dragon server case back about 2002, it's stock except a case LED swap and Blue LED 80mm fans.. Housed an AMD X2 4400+ Sock 939 and an ASUS A8*somthing* Deluxe board... that ran till Windows 8 changed to Windows 8.1. Cooled by Thermalright Heatpipe (copper, non tower)

Brings back memories. Had my first custom loop in one of these. Cut out the front cages and grills and put a Bonneville heater core and 2x120mm fans
Ford Econoline (rear ?) heater core was supposed to be another that was used back in the day, as I recall.... I lurked [H]ard back then !!!

I wish I never got rid of mine. I had a blue chieftec dragon as well as a blue koolance version with the water cooling controller and radiator built in.

I wish I never got rid of mine. I had a blue chieftec dragon as well as a blue koolance version with the water cooling controller and radiator built in.

Yes I wish I never got rid of mine either. I had quite a few of these cases in the Antec variant the one with 4 front LEDS and 2 USB ports & 1 large (6-pin?) firewire port.
It was a heavy beast of a case I would love to get another but not for the price people are asking for these things now. I do know that shipping will be a bitch and not to mention expensive. I got most of mine a CompUSA when I used to work there right after I graduated high school I worked there until they announced they were closing up shop. How I miss those good old times.

I had one back in the t-bird days. Loved it then but now? Yuck.

I loved mine then and I would still love another one. I had a U-shapped CCFL under the front panel and a few of the long linear ones on the top and bottom support rails. I liked it then but I don't care for flashy lighting now so no RGB gimmicks need for me anymore if I can only find a way to shut the LEDs off on my AMD Wrath Prism Cooler (without installing the software or using the included cables)

Yes I wish I never got rid of mine either. I had quite a few of these cases in the Antec variant the one with 4 front LEDS and 2 USB ports & 1 large (6-pin?) firewire port.
It was a heavy beast of a case I would love to get another but not for the price people are asking for these things now. I do know that shipping will be a bitch and not to mention expensive. I got most of mine a CompUSA when I used to work there right after I graduated high school I worked there until they announced they were closing up shop. How I miss those good old times.

I loved mine then and I would still love another one. I had a U-shapped CCFL under the front panel and a few of the long linear ones on the top and bottom support rails. I liked it then but I don't care for flashy lighting now so no RGB gimmicks need for me anymore if I can only find a way to shut the LEDs off on my AMD Wrath Prism Cooler (without installing the software or using the included cables)
I loved compUSA. That is where I got the koolance case, as well as this beaut (branded as aerocool):

icute-pc-case-i0.jpg

Yep CompUSA was my go to store back then for parts (possibly because I was there and also my employee discount). I remember those aerocool cases there they also had generic white cases and toward the end of the store generic black ones came out, I never bought a generic case for myself but my other friends had me get them parts using my employee discount and latter paid me back (except one friend did not so I told him to shove it and kept the part myself). I was a sad Peter when they announced the store would be closing its doors for good.

I remember this! one of my earliest case mods :D This was a very sort after case back then and cost a fortune.

It's def an Antec CT !

DSC00601-L.jpg

Thanks for the recent replies...
I have been busy with doing all the Things life calls for. The case came in late Sept, and I have yet to unbox it. Frankly, I don't have flashy hardware to put into it. Although, I could put my Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 / Intel DP45SG system in it, for a Retro Rig... though the heatpipe tower may not fit... will have to measure. Otherwise it'll fit an ITX system
Hmmm...

I just won an Auction on a Cheiftec Dragon mid tower clone. All RED and New Old Stock... still has the factory plastic wrap on it...
Likely an Antec from the look of it. Has all the drive rails too.
Pics when it arrives...
maybe there is some Dremel and rivet action going on for a future project. Maybe some custom W/C instead of AIO's...
I'll know when I see it, but have been wanting to flip the rear panel and motherboard tray... go from ATX form factor to a BTX form factor.... right side window and upside down mobo tray, instead of the left side / normal mobo tray orientation.
That way the Dragon benefits from a rerouted PSU and has some organization options...
Have to have a look / see when it arrives. It's different from my actual Chieftec Dragon server case in a few aspects.

BlackDragon

These are the Sellers photos....

View attachment 281546

View attachment 281547

View attachment 281548

View attachment 281549
I had this case back in the day 2004-2005 era pentium 4. Mine was a cool Alien Green color.

I found a picture of the U-shaped CCFL I had in the front panel of my Antec version of these cases back in the day. Mine was a blue one as I was big into blue back then. I love bright colors.

Attachments

• u_kit.jpg
    u_kit.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
I found a picture of the U-shaped CCFL I had in the front panel of my Antec version of these cases back in the day. Mine was a blue one as I was big into blue back then. I love bright colors.
I had red CFL's in a red dragon back in the day. Ahh the good times. Inverters and glass tubes.

I had red CFL's in a red dragon back in the day. Ahh the good times. Inverters and glass tubes.

I know I miss the good ol' days
But being zapped by the inverters output hurts don't ask me how I know that! (also left a burn mark on me too).

LEDs are good for RGB and indicator use but for general lighting purpose no way in hell I would give up my good classic lights.

Yep, that's an Antec design that everyone copied at the time.

I have four of those cases, though they're not that color. Three of them are beige and one of them is gray with a plexiglass window in the door. I also have a fifth one which has the doorless bezel in the front, just drive bays and the hollow ribs for air intake.

I had that U-sharped CCFL in my Thermaltake X case. This was circa 2007/2008? I cut the window out with a harborfreight dremel, and had stickers all over the case. I used to go to LAN parties all the time at that point... That was a good case for the time.
IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg
IMG_3104.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg

my cable wiring was a little rough...haha
I can't even remember what video card that was. Is that a galax with that round heatsink/fan combo? (it would have been stock)
IMG_3097.jpg

Anyone else remember those Soya Topaz 24" monitors that were quite the bang for the buck at the time? (pictured)
IMG_3090.jpg

Last edited:
I had that U-sharped CCFL in my Thermaltake X case. This was circa 2007/2008? I cut the window out with a harborfreight dremel, and had stickers all over the case. I used to go to LAN parties all the time at that point... That was a good case for the time.
View attachment 289884

View attachment 289885View attachment 289886View attachment 289887

I can't even remember what video card that was. Is that a galax with that round heatsink/fan combo? (it would have been stock)
View attachment 289888
Anyone else remember those Soya Topaz 24" monitors that were quite the bang for the buck at the time? (pictured)
View attachment 289889

Kick ass man!

Yeah, back then all of our wiring was rough, we didn't have all the accessories we have today. A little secret though on cases with cross bars, you can hide a lot of cables on the backside of them if you bundle them up good. Or get you a piece of sheet aluminum and make you a shroud, that's what I did with my Antec Lanboy case back in the day. 👍

Love that red glow from the font :)

View attachment 289884

View attachment 289885View attachment 289886View attachment 289887

View attachment 289888
View attachment 289889

Yes I remember those Soyo monitors well I don't think they were a quality item as I remember hearing about a lot of power supply related problems with those back then.
I bought the Black + Decker RTX Rotary Tool back then for case modding I have the 7 (or 8 don't remember) speed one the new ones are so cheap and only have 3 speeds. I got mine in 2002 or so I still have it but it does not get much use for case mods anymore.
Cute kitty in the first picture this was taken 12-13 years ago but is kitty still around?
I lost my cat Sagwa the summer of 2019 I got her as a kitten She was 15.5 years when she passed 😭

Kick ass man!

Yeah, back then all of our wiring was rough, we didn't have all the accessories we have today. A little secret though on cases with cross bars, you can hide a lot of cables on the backside of them if you bundle them up good. Or get you a piece of sheet aluminum and make you a shroud, that's what I did with my Antec Lanboy case back in the day. 👍

Love that red glow from the font :)
Yep on my Antec one I hid the rear fan and other cables like the ATX + 12V in the cross bar I drilled a small hole and then used zip tie to secure them.

not to entirely steal the thread, but this whole thread made me decide to see if I had any pics on photobucket of my old chieftec case. I couldn't find any, but I did find a couple good ones...

PICT0696.jpg

looks like I was on hardforum!

a year or so later, finally got an LCD. Again on hardforum:

PICT0708.jpg

and finally, 24" westinghouse with 24" soyo on each side for 5750 eyefinity:

001-8.jpg

Me too came to pay tribute

I was searching online and found this clone too but with a different front design,the front is all plastic. But the inside looks like aluminum to me since the case has almost no weight.
I did not want the case at first, i only wanted the Asus P4C800-E motherboard that came inside it, but the seller told me that for 5 dollars more i could have the case so i took it.

It makes me remember the case i had as a child, my first gaming case that was a TT Xaser II , but that one was all black and metal and the weight was like an elephant foot.
I never knew if thermaltake designed and released a XASER II aluminum case. I do know hey released a XASER III aluminum case that was a beauty.

only issue are the purple plastic fan holders , most of those are broken, probably it would be nice to print them with a 3dprinter but i have not found any STL online.

chief.jpg

I have 7 of these now, I'm building the green one in November for the cases 20th birthday. I plan on doing hardline water tubing. I'm very familiar with primo chill products, but are their any other good brands I should consider?

Attachments

• 292109660_362902472584837_4051412265696621431_n - Copy.jpg
    292109660_362902472584837_4051412265696621431_n - Copy.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 0
I have 7 of these now, I'm building the green one in November for the cases 20th birthday. I plan on doing hardline water tubing. I'm very familiar with primo chill products, but are their any other good brands I should consider?
i had the green one

I have a bunch of these cases, including several alienware cases in the same colors. Mine are the older version of the ones you have though with alienware embossed on the left side into the front plastic cover. They also go straight to the bottom edges, while the later versions have have the bottom edge wings slant inwards at the bottom like the ones you have.

Nice retro cases nowdays, bulity a ton of retro systems in mine over the years. Only bad thing with them is limited video card length as it can hit the hard drive in the front cage. But many old retro cards arent that big so it is a lesser issue.

Back