Cherry MX Brown vs Red. Question.

d3athf1sh

[H]ard|Gawd
So i use to own a Corsair K70 Lux w/ reds. It had a couple beer baths and dishwasher showers but eventually bit the dust. So after a couple months w/ membrane i finally grabbed an HP Omen Encoder w/ cherry mx browns. My first impression is it feels like a heavier red. I was really expecting to notice the "tactile bump" but unless i press the key really slow I really don't notice anything and like i said it just feels like typing on a heavy red, to me.

Is this everyone else's take on them too?

Well i'm finding out that there are now probably 100's of different switch types on the market and won't be going w/ cherry's next time. But it's just hard to pay $200+ for a custom keyboard and having to go soley by the description because i'm kinda disapointed w/ the browns. i mean they're ok, i can live w/ them but was just expecting some thing more.

guess i'm open for suggestions too.

I like the brown switches on my coolermaster quickfire tk. The detent is pretty obvious imo, but I agree you don't really feel it when typing. Feels like about 1mm to the detent 4-5mm total travel.

Unfortunately, there is no really happy medium. The ones that have the best tactile feedback are, unfortunately, relatively loud and noisy. And some keyboards offer a choice between several different switches; for example, the Das Keyboard models I looked at offer a choice between the MX Brown and the MX Blue (the latter has more tactile feedback but are clicky). My HyperX Alloy Pro tenkeyless is available with a choice of either the MX Red or the MX Blue (my local Best Buy carries only the version with the MX Red). The real "heavier Red" is actually the MX Black.

So i use to own a Corsair K70 Lux w/ reds. It had a couple beer baths and dishwasher showers but eventually bit the dust. So after a couple months w/ membrane i finally grabbed an HP Omen Encoder w/ cherry mx browns. My first impression is it feels like a heavier red. I was really expecting to notice the "tactile bump" but unless i press the key really slow I really don't notice anything and like i said it just feels like typing on a heavy red, to me.

Is this everyone else's take on them too?

Well i'm finding out that there are now probably 100's of different switch types on the market and won't be going w/ cherry's next time. But it's just hard to pay $200+ for a custom keyboard and having to go soley by the description because i'm kinda disapointed w/ the browns. i mean they're ok, i can live w/ them but was just expecting some thing more.

guess i'm open for suggestions too.

yeah... I was 100% sure I was going to love Browns starting out... bought a WASD MX-Brown keyboard... the tactile bump is pretty subtle... so subtle they might as well not bothered... with dampers the feeling of MX-Red and Brown is super close... I have been using for awhile a Filco MT2 TKL with reds... I'm well pleased with it.... I prefer the reds personally.. they are super light but they are honest... they seem linear because they are linear...

I've seen Browns called 'scratchy Reds' by some keyboard enthusiasts for their almost too subtle tactility. I'm fond of Reds though if there were a switch which provided crisper tactility (than Browns) to determine exact actuation point while being similarly lightweight for most of the key travel I'd be interested.

Last edited:
I recently got a Logitech G915 with the Tactile switches (aka Brown switches) and coming from Reds I do notice the tactile bump but it is very subtle. Still, I like it and so far I'm enjoying the G915.

so i'm thinking for my next keyboard i will be looking at something other than cherry's. like i said they're ok and they'll do, but would be nice to sample some of the different switches before dumping $200 into a keyboard.

guess i was just expecting more of a "bump". I agree w/ what Okatis was saying they're more like scratchy reds. really to me i feel the bump more on the way up than the way down?! weird. Prob would have just got reds if i would have known that and slapped some o-rings on em or really prob looked at another brand. but I only paid $40 for the Omen Encoder, brand new, so still got a good deal.

so the search goes on to find the perfect switch... maybe one day... thanks for all the input guys.

I recently got a Logitech G915 with the Tactile switches (aka Brown switches) and coming from Reds I do notice the tactile bump but it is very subtle. Still, I like it and so far I'm enjoying the G915.
The G915 uses its own branded Romer G switches, which the company developed in conjunction with the Japanese company Omron. The Romer G is the Logitech-branded equivalent to the Brown switches, but with a shorter travel than the Cherry MX Brown switches.

yeah... I was 100% sure I was going to love Browns starting out... bought a WASD MX-Brown keyboard... the tactile bump is pretty subtle... so subtle they might as well not bothered... with dampers the feeling of MX-Red and Brown is super close... I have been using for awhile a Filco MT2 TKL with reds... I'm well pleased with it.... I prefer the reds personally.. they are super light but they are honest... they seem linear because they are linear...
see i'm starting to want to venture outside the cherry mx family and try something else, something like zelios or holy panda's or something. idk. prob use this kb for a bit and see what i think because the mx browns seem to show up pretty high on a lot of lists, so?

Back