Check Fps higher than monitor refresh rate?

-snoopi-

Limp Gawd
Wondering if there is a way to check what your maximum fps would be if your PC can push higher than the maximum refresh rate of the monitor you are using?

Reason, I have a 270hz 1440p monitor, and I want to know if I now get a 360Hz 1440p monitor, if my RTX 4090 powered PC can push beyond the maximum 270 fps limit I have reached on my current monitor for PUBG. Otherwise it will be a waste of money to get the 360Hz monitor now if I can't utilise the extra head room now with my current PC.

Anyway I can check this?

turn off vsync and turn on the fps counter in either the game, fraps utilty or the geforce experience app.

If you do not have anything frame rate capped, you can use any monitoring program with a fps overlay. A video card uncapped will gladly go above the monitor refresh rate if it can.

Thanks heaps guys, gona try this out. Unfortunately google search did not return any of those results!

Kudos!

If you have Nvidia's GeForce Experience installed and running, press ALT+Z and the interface will show up, go to settings HUD layout and Performance and click on FPS and place it any of the 4 quadrants shown.
1672456575810.png

Ok so i used the steam ingame fps counter and turned off all fps limits.

So it looks like my system fluctuates wildly between 200-350fps in PUBG with the current mostly low ingame visual settings @ 1440p. Goes as high as 420fps but not very often or not for very long either.

It usually mostly around 200-300fps.

So I am unsure if it is worth me getting the new 1440p 360Hz monitor than, might not be worth it for me.

As graphics get better in games, I would highly doubt it will be a worthy purchase. I'd keep what you have now.

Well I would only be using it for competative gaming on low settings to maximise fps possible. All high detailed games i use an lg oled c242 for at max settings.

Back