Cheap RGB fans vs TT or Lian

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
So this is a multi part question here... first will give quick history, then questions and thoughts...

Thermaltake Tower 900...
20220630_075844.jpg

I am building slow as we were looking into some things like a new truck/5th wheel camper.. but our 2016 jeep wrangler got hit on fathers day (with us in it) and it is totaled so now we have to get a jeep for wife, thus my build is taking for ever..
I have:
Case
card reader in 5.25 slot
1300w power supply
4x 512gb nvme
4x 1tb ssd

I am looking at getting rgb fans next, then mobo, cpu, gpu

While RGB sounds fine, I am not going to water cool at first but eventually want too and I really like the Linus build...

Question 1:
Do you think adding RGB will kill this look?
LinusT900.jpg

If you think RGB fans would add a neat effect and not kill the look, then

Question 2
Are the cheap Amazon fans that are 2 for $22 as good as Thermaltake ones for $30 each.... guy at work said Lian Li Uni fans are out

Lets start there. I am building the machine where prices really do not change much and getting what i can so when it is time for mobo/cpu, i can buy them and swap my 1060 and memory over for now to fire it up then replace those next.
having 2 kids, high gas prices and drive far to work, jeep just totaled is really hitting the wallet...

appreciate all your thoughts and time.

Sorry to hear about your Jeep! That sucks. Best of luck moving forward with all that.

To your questions:
First, I don't think RGB would kill the look as long as you match the colors somewhat. That's my personal preference, and colors and aesthetics are purely subjective. As long as your fans do not stand out drastically against the water cooling, or if they're so bright they 'wash out' the other RGB or colored components of the loop, it should be fine. But again, that's preference. Some people want a pink front door on their houses, and many people would scoff and say it looks like an eyesore, there's always some people who would like it. Same goes with any color/RGB configuration for a PC.

Second -- you can find good quality fans on Amazon for cheap, but do your research. Check CFM (how much air the fans are capable of moving), fan speed in RPM and noise ratings in dB, and also the types of fans. Levitation bearings are better than standard ball bearings as a rule of thumb, but you'll pay more. With that said, there are plenty of good budget fans out there and as long as you avoid the absolute bottom of the barrel, I think you won't have much to worry about.

Good luck with the build. Show us progress as you work on it!

thx.. will show progress...

i agree that everyone likes different things..
I do not want to bleed the colors out with rgb so i agree...

I thought of green for 2 loops or do t virus blue one and red other...but that is kinda beaten out so much...

jeep and truck shopped today and am spent!.

A personal favorite of mine is a bright green or teal for custom loop tubes, CPU block, RAM sticks, other components you want to highlight, and then something like a dark blue for the case fans and ambient RGB lighting. Reminds me of an ocean theme in the case of teal/blue, or the northern lights in the case of green/blue, particularly if the green is set to breathe, run, or some other form of motion, while the dark blue sits still like a night sky.
Generally in a case with RGB fans and other RGB components, the fans set the tone for a background along with case light strips most effectively, giving you the chance to put other elements of your build as front and center when it comes to ARGB or brighter colors.

The problem with a lot of the really cheap RGB fans, is that they will often develop squeeks and scratchy sounds, after only a couple of months.

Back