CentOS 5 image backup and restore options

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
Looks like I can create a full disk image with the dd command.

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

what are the restore procedures for this.

I could also use clonezilla, backula, partimage. but those all run outside the OS. so it would require me to drop the system for backup, and then be onsite to restore the system in the event of a disaster recovery.

Is there something I can manage offsite to get this box to beable to backup and restore

There is no way I know of of doing full OS level restores utilizing OS-only utilities remotely. And honestly, I think most anything would be a dirty hack you wouldn't want to rely on.

What, specifically, are you trying to restore? What are your downtime tolerances?

Were this me, I'd load a simple hypervisor ( esxi if possible ), and load the server in that so I'd have low level access to it. Load the visor on a usb thumb drive, duplicate said drive and store it with the server so someone onsite can swap USB devices if necessary. Then take snap shot backups of the guest(s) to an external device.

just the OS is what would be needed. It's a business critical app that is loaded on the linux box for inventory purposes. downtime needs to be <half a business day

New plan!

I want to image this bitch, and throw it up in a virtual box. Anyway to this remotely?

I want to capture a full image. I thought Linux was a beast because it didn't give a shot about hardware configs?

Can I DD command shit over to my server via FTP, install centos5 in virtual cloud and the DD shit to new server.

Any tips?

You could use a product called PlateSpin to accomplish what you're trying to do. It's not a cheap resolution, but for a business critical solution this would be very good.

Back