CASELABS Resurrected

A few updates from Emil over the last half year on discord:

Everyone involved still has a day job, so time to work on things has been the main constraint on progress.

I think the current schedule is still q3 for the soft launch of parts.

Pedestals, tops, doors, switch plates... Eeeh, most, if not all, Flex-Bay accessories etc will be made available when we soft launch.

Front panels [with updated IO ports] are top priority when we start updating our existing models.

We're working on multiple things/stages at the same time and once we've crossed the threshold for the soft-launch we expect to have everything rolling out pretty smoothly after that.

Right now it is a time constraint in my part. Lots of things to do at my regular work and in my private life so my free time has been somewhat limited for a while.

We are anticipating a very quick transition between the soft-launch and hard-launch because we're working on both at the same time.

I actually had a great discussion with @keeph8n about what cases will make a return.

In the Bullet line, the BH2, BH4 and BH8 will make a return when we hard-launch. There is a BH7 too but it seems to have been discontinued so I'm not sure if we'll bring it back right from the start.

In the Magnum line the SMA8-A, STH10 and THW10 will make a return. TX10 (both D and V) and TH10A will be avaliable once or twice a year in limited supplies. Not sure if the that will apply to other non-riveted cases in the Magnum line that were discontinued (like the M8A and MH10)

In the Mercury line we'll see the return of the S3, S5, S8 and S8S.

Merlin line will probably have the SM8 returning.

Nova line will have the X2M returning.

Rest of the cases were discontinued for various reasons (mostly because they were riveted together) and will not be coming back at the beginning. We are discussing if we can update the riveted cases to be screwed together like the SMA8-A and if it even makes sense to update the riveted cases like that. It all depends on if there already is an updated case that fills that role (like if there is no case that fills the role of the SMH10 then it might make sense to update it and bring it into production again).

All cases should have spare parts available to them, be the riveted or non-riveted or if they are discontinued or not.

Please note that this is just a discussion between me and @keeph8n and I haven't made a final decision yet, things might be subject to change

The M8 was one of the old riveted models. They may return with screw assembled flatpack versions later.
yeah mine was riveted but I believe it was converted to a screwed together case a couple years after I bought mine

yeah mine was riveted but I believe it was converted to a screwed together case a couple years after I bought mine
Looks like the replacement model was the Magnum M8A in 2015, only to be discontinued later that year when streamlining their model list. That one is listed as a maybe for limited runs.

Looks like the replacement model was the Magnum M8A in 2015, only to be discontinued later that year when streamlining their model list. That one is listed as a maybe for limited runs.
yup that's the one I saw

Updates from the last few months on the Caselabs Discord.

Caselab's is currently working on converting the old 2d blueprints they got to 3d CAD models. Emil says they've got enough money to fund the initial production run. Current ETA for production starting is sometime in 2024.

What's shipping going to be like to the States for a case? Jesus
Emil has been looking at finding a second manufacturing partner in the US. A while ago they said they might end up eating the cost of transatlantic shipping for early orders if they're not able to get the US manufacturer started at the same time as the European one.

Emil has been looking at finding a second manufacturing partner in the US. A while ago they said they might end up eating the cost of transatlantic shipping for early orders if they're not able to get the US manufacturer started at the same time as the European one.
I have a possible suggestion for this, if he's still looking for one.

Who's the first? For awhile I heard it may have been Sliger but I wasn't sure if they worked in as much aluminum structure or features like tempered glass as is needed for true CL cases - fromw hat I've read they're a good company and make a lot of rack-focused and other products, built in the USA, but they're usually steel focused with occasionally some aluminum panels for aesthetics.

I have a possible suggestion for this, if he's still looking for one.

Who's the first? For awhile I heard it may have been Sliger but I wasn't sure if they worked in as much aluminum structure or features like tempered glass as is needed for true CL cases - fromw hat I've read they're a good company and make a lot of rack-focused and other products, built in the USA, but they're usually steel focused with occasionally some aluminum panels for aesthetics.
I don't think it would be sliger. It doesn't seem like they have capacity to take on any new projects outside of their own stuff. According to some posts on their subreddit.

Back