Case that holds more drives than define 7 XL

soccrstar

Limp Gawd
The define 7 XL / Meshify 2 XL holds 19 (20 if you ballsy) x 3.5 and 5 x 2.5 drives.

As big as the obsidian 1000D is it only holds 5 x 3.5 and 6 x 2.5 according to Corsair

Any desktop type tower that holds more than define 7 XL?

Thermaltake Core W200. 14 stock, not sure if you can still get extra internal trays/brackets from TT, anymore (so many drives possible if you can), but you can absolutely add 3x5.25" bay -> 4x or 5x3.5" devices to add 12-15 more. Beyond that, stack it on a TT P200 pedestal and toss in various HDD adapter modules for even more drives.

Or a Phanteks Enthoo 719 with a bunch of stackable HDD brackets in the base and up the side.

My old small Cube can hold 20 drives using those 5 in 3 cages.
Nanoxia used to sell the Deep Silence cases and the larger ones could hold a ton of drives when you added more internal cages.
https://www.nanoxiausa.com/products/deep-silence-6-hptx-full-tower-case-black

IMG_2222.JPEG

Currently have 12 drives in it, 11 spinners and an SSD.
HAL-9000 - Plex Server - Drives.jpg

The Phanteks Enthoo 719 will hold 12x3.5 and 3x2.5 with the basic layout. I could easily add 6 more 3.5 drives and likely 4-6 more with a little modification. It's a very roomy case with lots of ventilation and fan placement locations.

I've also been looking for a new case to use for a file server. The only requirement is that it needs to support as many 3.5" mechanical drives as possible. The problem I'm having is that most of the cases I see that can hold a lot of drives are $300+ fancy RGB gaming cases. I don't need that kind of bling for a file server. I'd rather get something cheaper and utilitarian. I also prefer cases where you screw the drives directly into the case, so the heat can transfer easily from the drive to the metal case, rather than using removable drive bays or other drive mounting methods that involve screwing the drives into plastic rails, etc.

I also prefer cases where you screw the drives directly into the case, so the heat can transfer easily from the drive to the metal case, rather than using removable drive bays or other drive mounting methods that involve screwing the drives into plastic rails, etc.

Those rails, rubber grommets, etc. are good for physically isolating the drives and preventing vibrations from propagating throughout the case and between drives. This is far more important than absolute maximum HDD cooling.

Just run a fan over the HDDs and they'll be fine cooling-wise.

The only case I can see that is currently available that holds more than ten 3.5" HDDs is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 - it holds twelve (only four out of the box but you can buy an additional bracket that expands this to 12), and 11 2.5" HDD/SSDs for a total of 23. The case is massive but it's only $175.
https://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro2-Closed.html
Edit: They have a closed version and one with tempered glass, and the cooling is supposed to be incredible. It actually supports a dual-system configuration.

The Phanteks Enthoo 719 will hold 12x3.5 and 3x2.5 with the basic layout. I could easily add 6 more 3.5 drives and likely 4-6 more with a little modification. It's a very roomy case with lots of ventilation and fan placement locations.
This looks reversed. I just looked it up and it's the same as the Pro 2. Four out of the box for 3.5, but can be expanded to twelve. Plenty of room for 2.5 out of the box though.

Back