Case Considerations

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I'm in the market for a new case. I've got an EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified and due to the expansion slot configuration, I want to move my third video card down to the last slot (slot #4) and use slot #3 for something else. (Probably another card for PhysX, RAID controller, or a network card which I have reasons for using.) In any case, I want to make use of all four PCI-Express slots. My current case, the TJ-09 will not let me do that unless I cut the crap out of the support bracket under the 7th expansion slot. I also need another large case to migrate my Skulltrail setup into which will serve as my Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise server, host my VM's, and perform duties as an Exchange 2010 beta server. Aside from fairly poor cable management the Silverstone TJ-09 will work fine for the Skulltrail setup. I will be using a RAID controller, Intel PCI-Express server NIC, and a single video card. (Probably the spare Geforce GTX 280 I've got.) So right now the plan is to transplant my gaming computer (Core i7 920) into a new case so that I can leverage all four PCI-Express slots and put my Skulltrail back into the TJ-09.

So, I've been doing my research and I think I'm almost set on a Lian-Li case. I've considered, and I am considering the Corsair Obsidian 800D. I've got a couple minor reservations about that, but the main problem is time. I don't want to wait much longer to get this extra box up and going. There are several models and considerations. I've broken down the list here. Cost of the case isn't really in the consideration. Airflow, cable management, flexibility, appearance, and most importantly, everything fitting inside of it are key. Water cooling is not a consideration. So please bear that in mind. I've been there and I've done that. I simply change out computer hardware too frequently to want to mess with it. These days the overclocks I'm seeing out of air cooling are impressive enough that the cost of changing blocks with all the new hardware that comes out each generation just can't be easily justified. The EVGA X58 3X SLI board is not truly an E-ATX board but it is larger than ATX standard. It falls between the two in size. ATX cases will sometimes work for it provided there is room for the extra length to hang over the last row of standoffs. And because I love dual processor stuff, an eventual E-ATX dual 1366 socket system isn't totally off the table. It could happen one of these days. So an E-ATX case is a must requirement. With all that in mind I've compiled a list of possible cases, pros and cons for each, and I would like to hear from people who actually have some of these cases, and what your experiences are.

The hardware going into the new case is as follows:

Power supply: Corsair HX1000
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT 1366
RAM: 3 x 2048MB Corsair Dominator GT (TR3X6G2000C8D) DDR3 2000MHz
Video Card(s): BFG Technologies Geforce GTX 280 OC (x3) 3-Way SLI
Optical: LG Blue-Ray Writer
Hard Drive(s): 2 x Intel X25-M 80GB SSD (RAID-0)

Other storage is external. So I'm not worried about sccomodating more internal storage. Bear in mind that for any cases with a hot swap backplane, the SSD's may not line up correctly. For those of you using SSD's, your thoughts and experience is most welcome. So please, share any additional recommendations for cases that would do the job. Here are some simple qualifiers:

1.) No windowed side panels.
2.) No LED fans. (I really hate those.)
3.) No plastic, preferably no steel, but steel is ok if I like everything else.)
4.) It must support the E-ATX form factor.
5.) No doors. I can't stand doors on cases.
6.) Excellent cable management is a MUST.
7.) No cube cases. No Mountain Mods UFO, or Lian-Li PC-343B.
8.) No hideous casters. (Rules out some Lian-Li models.)

Here is the actual list of considerations:

----------------Lian-Li Armorsuit----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Excellent quality. (What Lian-Li doesn't have this?)
Meets E-ATX requirement.
Card/Expansion slot problem solved as this case has 10 expansion slots.
Conventional 3.5" drive bays would work well for SSD mounting.

Cons:

Ugly (I think this may be the ugliest thing Lian-Li ever put out.)
Blue LED fans are fugly.
Unable to access optical drive bay without opening the fan door.
Unknown cable management.
Lacks the cut out in the motherboard tray for changing heat sinks. (A con only because it is available on newer Lian-Li designs.)

----------------Lian-Li PC-A7010----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Meets E-ATX requirement.
Easily one of the best looking cases I've ever seen.

Cons:

Concerned with SATA backplane not mating to SSD's.
Lacks the cut out in the motherboard tray for changing heat sinks. (A con only because it is available on newer Lian-Li designs.)

----------------Lian-Li PC-A70----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Meets E-ATX requirement.
Upper PSU mounting option would solve expansion card slot problem.

Cons:

----------------Lian-Li PC-A77----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Meets E-ATX requirement.
One of the better looking Lian-Li cases I think.
Fan speed controller (This isn't a huge issue to me, but it is kind of nice.)

Cons:

----------------Lian-Li PC-B70----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Meets E-ATX requirement.
It appears that it is possible to install or remove heat sinks from the motherboard while the board is mounted due to the square cut out in the motherboard tray.

Cons:

I do not like the fact that you have to access the drive cage from the front of the case.
Not a huge fan of tooless card retention mechanisms.
Blue LED fans are fugly.

----------------Lian-Li PC-B71----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Meets E-ATX requirement.
It appears that it is possible to install or remove heat sinks from the motherboard while the board is mounted due to the square cut out in the motherboard tray.

Cons:

I do not like the fact that you have to access the drive cage from the front of the case.
Not a huge fan of tooless card retention mechanisms.
Blue LED fans are fugly.

----------------Lian-Li PC-V2010----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Meets E-ATX requirement.

Cons:

Does not solve the expansion slot problem.
Too damn ugly.
PSU bay may not be large enough for my Corsair HX1000 or a Thermaltake ToughPower 1200
I can't stand the casters on the bottom of the case. I'd much prefer feet. I'd rather rape the Taco Bell dog than look at those on my desk. (I won't put my machine on the floor.)

----------------Corsair Obsidian 800D----------------

Pros:

Appears to have excellent quality.
Meets E-ATX requirement.
Outstanding layout, excellent cable management.

Cons:

Steel Construction (This isn't a deal breaker for me, or a huge issue, I prefer aluminum for its looks, rather than for weight savings.)
Don't like windowed cases.
Not sure about the feet.

----------------Silverstone TJ-09----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Excellent quality.
Matches my existing TJ-09. (I like things to look standardized.)

Cons:

Does not solve the expansion slot problem.
Mediocre cable management.
Thin/fragile side panels. (Not a problem, but I don't like it.)

----------------Lian-Li PC-A77----------------

Pros:

Aluminum construction
Meets E-ATX requirement.
One of the better looking Lian-Li cases I think.
Fan speed controller (This isn't a huge issue to me, but it is kind of nice.)

Cons:

I think I can shed some light on this case for you as I have one and use it to house my i7 920 rig in my sig. The PC-A77B is really spacious as it is a full tower and cables can easily hide behind the motherboard tray and on the motherboard side of the drive bays. It does have the cutout that allows for changing of heatsinks seen in the images I posted of my case below.

PROS:

-Roomy case with plenty of airflow
-PSU can be mounted on top or bottom
-Bezels on the front have dust filters on them for easy cleaning
-Can swap cpu coolers easily with the help of the motherboard tray cutout
-Really light for a case this big
-Easily removable motherboard tray made installing a new motherboard really easy.

CONS:

Its not all without cons though. If you mount the power supply on the bottom, there is no way to route the 8pin or 4 pin cpu power connector behind the motherboard tray and onto the connector on top, its actually missing 2 or 3 inches to reach it without stressing the cable. The rear hard drive cage that lies above the motherboard tray cannot be mounted in the front bay along with the other 2 existing hard drive tray modules. If anyone did successfully do this, I would love to know how you did it.

The fan controller isn't a standard 3.5" or 5.25" bay so you won't be able to take it out and put something else in its place. Also you can't manually control the fan speeds with this controller, it will however beep at you if the temps are too high (for the setting you gave it). It will power 3x 3pin fans with rpm readouts, current time, and temps of the 3 temp sensors you can put around the case. All in all I love this case and it was well worth the $299 price tag I spent on it. Other than this one con with the top fan controller I really don't see any other problems with the case. Any more questions or if you want more pics like pics behind the motherboard tray just ask, Hope this will help you decide on a new case. :)

comp070.jpg

comp072.jpg

comp075.jpg

Last edited:
Very helpful, thank you. It helps to be able to see actual components in the case, and not just a a board with nothing on it pictured on the Lian-Li website. Also as I recall, the motherboard tray pictured on the website showed that this model didn't have the cut out behind the CPU socket. I wonder if they are starting to do it on newer cases, and haven't documented the change on their site?

Very helpful, thank you. It helps to be able to see actual components in the case, and not just a a board with nothing on it pictured on the Lian-Li website. Also as I recall, the motherboard tray pictured on the website showed that this model didn't have the cut out behind the CPU socket. I wonder if they are starting to do it on newer cases, and haven't documented the change on their site?

I wasn't expecting a cutout behind the motherboard tray either but when I opened up the case and saw it was there it was a welcome change as it made mounting a whole lot easier.

I can give some background on the b70.

It is VERY big. You won't believe it till you see it in person. You'll be able to fit everything. The tool-less pci clip system is actually pretty good and works very well. Much better than in the HAF 932. Cable management is very easy in it. You can get your cables very neat and tidy in it without much effort.

Now as for your cons, you can always sub out the blue led fans with something else. As for the HDD racks, they were plenty fine for my SSD. I just used some very strong tape and taped my SSD to one, and it worked out pretty well. You can always buy an adapter on newegg or something if you don't want to do something like that.

And Dan, yeah, Lian Li has updated some of their old models with the newer features their new cases have.

I can give some background on the b70.

It is VERY big. You won't believe it till you see it in person. You'll be able to fit everything. The tool-less pci clip system is actually pretty good and works very well. Much better than in the HAF 932. Cable management is very easy in it. You can get your cables very neat and tidy in it without much effort.

Now as for your cons, you can always sub out the blue led fans with something else. As for the HDD racks, they were plenty fine for my SSD. I just used some very strong tape and taped my SSD to one, and it worked out pretty well. You can always buy an adapter on newegg or something if you don't want to do something like that.

And Dan, yeah, Lian Li has updated some of their old models with the newer features their new cases have.

I've got 2.5" to 3.5" adapters that are designed for SSD's. They work fine but my main concern is with the cases that have the hot swap bays and the SSD's lining with them. I can see this being largely problematic in such cases. The B70 doesn't have the hot swap bays I don't think. Isn't that the B71?

I've got 2.5" to 3.5" adapters that are designed for SSD's. They work fine but my main concern is with the cases that have the hot swap bays and the SSD's lining with them. I can see this being largely problematic in such cases. The B70 doesn't have the hot swap bays I don't think. Isn't that the B71?

yeah, the b-71 is the one with the hot-swap. But even then, It wouldn't be a problem if you bought the right adapter. I think redbeard linked an adapter that would allow SSDs to work with 3.5" hot swap bay systems. I believe he linked it in the long corsair case he created. It was about $20 off newegg if i remember correctly.

yeah, the b-71 is the one with the hot-swap. But even then, It wouldn't be a problem if you bought the right adapter. I think redbeard linked an adapter that would allow SSDs to work with 3.5" hot swap bay systems. I believe he linked it in the long corsair case he created. It was about $20 off newegg if i remember correctly.

Good to know.

----------------Lian-Li PC-B70----------------
Motherboard tray is one of the common components between new B70/71 and A70/71, A77 and A7010/7110 so lately assembled cases of those models also probably have it.

Compared to tray used in original A70 it had already gotten some changes (which appeared in pics of A7010) year ago and also HDD cages have went through changing of top module to use same soft mounting as main cage which has changed to less airflow restricting design so while Lian Li product page doesn't show any changes they seem to include tweaks along the way to all cases being manufactured.

----------------Lian-Li Armorsuit----------------
Cons:
Ugly (I think this may be the ugliest thing Lian-Li ever put out.)
Blue LED fans are fugly.
That case has also cooling cons:
Intake fans are sandwhiched between two meshes immediately on both sides of fans which surely doesn't do good to airflow.
And if you open that travesty of door case "looses" intake fans.

As you won't be using many 5.25" bays A77 could have three intake fans which would be good for that much heating power.
Also A70 could take extra intake fan to 5.25" bays.

Again A7010's expensive backplane is disadvantage for use of SSDs with adapters so not much point in that over A70 and cooling wise second fan behind HDD cage in both these older models helps to overcome impedance of HDD cage when compared to again expensive blinged B70/71.

Personally I'm waiting for the Corsair Obsidian........ it looks like it is packed with some awesome features, I especially like the rubber grommets for cable management.

However you raise a good point about SSD installation, I hadn't thought of that! I am getting a sample soon so I might take a look into that aspect of it.

Personally I'm waiting for the Corsair Obsidian........ it looks like it is packed with some awesome features, I especially like the rubber grommets for cable management.

However you raise a good point about SSD installation, I hadn't thought of that! I am getting a sample soon so I might take a look into that aspect of it.

The Obsidian looks like a nice choice. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for it or not.

I have the A70b, i bought a cheap 2.5" to 3.5" bracket for my SSD but i can't use it lol. The mounting system in the case and the rubber grommets required for hard drives wont line up with the bracket. Since I'm so lazy I just have the SSD sitting on the floor of the case :)

I have the A70b, i bought a cheap 2.5" to 3.5" bracket for my SSD but i can't use it lol. The mounting system in the case and the rubber grommets required for hard drives wont line up with the bracket.
That bracket is then some faulty design and fits neither to standard hard screw mounting.
(or was it shortened to be only half the length of 3.5" drive?)

Right now my SSD's are resting in a pair of Silverstone 2.5" to 3.5" adapters designed specifically for SSD's. They work well. I could put two drives in one bracket, but I didn't like how the cabling worked out when I did that. So I have each drive in its own bracket for now.

With the exception of the the Armorsuit and the PV-V2010 all of the models you have listed only have 7 expansion slots.

With the exception of the the Armorsuit and the PV-V2010 all of the models you have listed only have 7 expansion slots.

This is true. However they all allow for a card in the 7th slot to overhang the lower PSU area if I put the PSU in the top most PSU bay. Many of the Lian-Li cases are designed to have a PSU mounted in the top or bottom optionally. I can't do that with my existing TJ-09 because of a support bracket.

I'll have to look into the PC-A70F. I can't stand doors on cases so the PC-A71F is right out. I'm not sure I like the PC-X1000.

My guess is the X1000 will be very much like the X2000 except without the front cover and the rearranging of the 5.25" slots from the side to the front.

Hello, I would also like to get some bigger and more efficient case - when it comes to cooling and I am considering some case from Lian-Li. I am not sure which one though. I would like to have it seperate heat zones for better cooling and at least 6-9 harddrive slots. I do not mind doors.
I have come accross Lian-Li PC-A20 but the trouble is it is not available in my country (Czech Republic). Is it a new case that it is not available? Would anyone know where to order it in Europe (some good and reliable e-shop).
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=223&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62)

Or is there any similiar case that I should consider instead of this one?

Are there any cases with red led's? it seems the world turned into blue led's forever.

Hello, I would also like to get some bigger and more efficient case - when it comes to cooling and I am considering some case from Lian-Li. I am not sure which one though. I would like to have it seperate heat zones for better cooling and at least 6-9 harddrive slots.
I do not mind doors.
Problem of dual chamber Lian Lis (A10/20, V1x10/2x10) is lack of intake for compartment with definitely the hottest components of gaming PCs and you have to leave many 5.25" bays free (if you can't use something it doesn't exist) for allowing intake airflow making design rather imbalanced as overal. Antec's goal in introducing multiple chambers was really just getting the most effective internal airflow with the absolutely smallest number of fans (=few exhaust fans) and similar laminar airflow can be gotten with proper case design&positioning of more fans to keep air moving everywhere inside the case.
Door again is good for acoustics, it muffles noise of intake fans and HDDs very effectively. (if the latter are soft mounted) Also it hides any wrong coloured/style 5.25" devices giving more freedom to selecting them.

A-20 isn't any new case but as very expensive non-gamer/-bling bling case it probably isn't sold much.
From their big cases A70 (door-less) and A71 (with door) are the sweet spot where overal features&size really meet the price. Lack of chambers and many fashion gimmicks makes them easily tweakable and with adding PCI cooling kit (costs same as Noctua fans) and normal fan to graphics card support pillar (like in A20) you can have up to eight case fans for keeping air busy.
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/pro...134&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=spec
http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=532&page=5
(later revisions have soft mounting for all ten HDDs and lot less restrictive main HDD cage)

From Central European shops I've myself bought photography stuff multiple times from Computeruniverse.net which is PC&electronics shop with very good service. Caseking.de is case+accessory shop I've used many times and PC-cooling.de another such specialized shop.
http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90272153/lian-li-pc-a71b-pc-case-black.asp
http://www.pc-cooling.de/Gehaeuse/Lian+Li/?language=en

The new version of the corsair that will be out is coming with SSD mounts for the HD bay and a non windowed version.

Problem of dual chamber Lian Lis...

Thank you for your advice E.T

The graphics card inside of the case will be nVidia GTX275/285 so I should probably avoid the A20 or V2110A cases? Which lian-li should I get then? A71B looks nice but it does not have e-sata on the I/O panel and I am not sure if it has fan speed switch (which I would like to have there).
Or should I rather get some case from Antec - do they have more efficient solution when it comes to seperate heat zones?

The graphics card inside of the case will be nVidia GTX275/285 so I should probably avoid the A20 or V2110A cases?
A71B looks nice but it does not have e-sata on the I/O panel and I am not sure if it has fan speed switch (which I would like to have there).
With dual chamber case and hot graphics cards it would be best to install intake fan using some 3x5.25" frame meaning you effectively have only four 5.25" bays in return for higher price tag.
Lian Li has released 5.25" sized I/O box and nowadays better motherboards have E-SATA directly in their I/O area so connecting some permanent extra storage box (if you can't get enough terabytes inside) directly to mobo is often possible.
There's no controller switch but those switch systems lack finer control and good adjustment range. A20's specs page tells that steps of that controller switch are full speed, one step less and another step less... which works well for around 1200rpm fans but if you put there high speed fan you might have hard time in getting it quiet.

I myself prefer solving both at once and have Aerocool FP-01 which has both E-SATA and USB port and card reader along with controlling/monitoring of three fan channels. Unusually for digital controller it has output filtering which makes all fans work with it without problems of inability to lower speed and nasty motor noises. Also 18W/1.5A max output per channel allows using splitters for connecting two or even three fans in parallel depending on their current draw.
With price difference to those dual chamber cases you can easily get both FP-01 and PCI Cooling kit... again coming to lot better features per price ratio.

Antec's P18x is plain small and E-ATX P193 is still limited to six HDDs and four 5.25" bays so don't see them as competition in high end spacious case class.

Thank you E.T, I am still deciding.
If I install something like that Aerocool FP-01 on the Lian-Li PC-A71B will I still be able to close the case door?

What do you think about Lian-Li PC-A7110? Should I consider it as well? Based on your suggestions I like that it is not dual heat zone and the intake of air should be better. Even though this guy (http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50483) says that there are probably too many obstacles for the air to enter the case.

It is really hard to make a choice here :)

And there is also another thing that I am thinking about. In the case like PC-V2110B where the PSU is placed vertically - then if the PSU has a fan at the bottom - can it be installed in the way the fan does not face the side cover of the case?

And also - PC-A7110 has some backplates in the harddrive cage for easier installation of the hard drives. If I do not want it there or if it gets broken can it be easily removed?

Which one of these cases will be more efficient in cooling? I guess the PC-V7110?

The PC-A7110 can support graphics card up to 32cm long whereas PC-V2110B can support them up to 40cm long. Is there really a "danger" that the graphics cards will become that long in the future?

The PC-V2110B has wheels. Is there a danger that it will vibrate more than the cases without the wheels?

Thank you E.T, I am still deciding.
If I install something like that Aerocool FP-01 on the Lian-Li PC-A71B will I still be able to close the case door?
Easily, there's fair 2cm of space behind door.
It fits fan controllers with knobs and even 1/4inch/6mm angle plug for headphones in X-Fi's IO-panel... whose cable fits out through gap between door's edge and front panel. (use of headphones was why I had some reservations to door equipped cases when I started looking replacement for acoustically lousy CM Stacker)
What do you think about Lian-Li PC-A7110?
Even though this guy (http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50483) says that there are probably too many obstacles for the air to enter the case.
That case arrived just in time to get into my study year ago... and got dropped to bottom of list.
Expensive acoustically lot worser plasticky HDD mounting for what? Anyone here having HDDs failing often enough to require hot/quickswap backplane? So that feature is pretty much fashion gimmick increasing vibration induced noise and you'll be able to fit only one SSD in place of one HDD vs. A71's ability to use dual SSD adapter. And HDD cage itself looks more airflow restricting with holes vs. A7x's big slots.
And despite of straighter route, also for noise, door seems to have higher airflow impedance thanks to that complex baffle hamburger. (missed that one originally)
Summa summarum... higher price for worser features and that impotent Akasa/Spire etc foam would be just in the way of installing actually working stuff to panels.

(also V2110's door is more restrictive with just few small slots and in A20 that baffle lowers space available behind door)
In the case like PC-V2110B where the PSU is placed vertically - then if the PSU has a fan at the bottom - can it be installed in the way the fan does not face the side cover of the case?

The PC-A7110 can support graphics card up to 32cm long whereas PC-V2110B can support them up to 40cm long. Is there really a "danger" that the graphics cards will become that long in the future?
That PSU mounting question has been couple times in Lian Li's forum, and they don't have mounting plate for pointing PSU away from side panel.

Not much danger of cards growing even to 30cm when many gamer cases, including Antec's hyped Hundred-serie can barely house current cards. In fact that ~32cm is longest allowed card length... from time when integration of components hadn't happened and most component circuit boards were big with huge number of discrete components. (so only thing those white plastic full length card supports do is restricting those mid case fan)

Thank you very much E.T for shedding some more light on this field.

So you say I should avoid PC-A7110 and PC-V2110B? Are they really that bad? I quite like their design.
I know that you have probably tuned up the PC-A71 to perfection (different isolating foam maybe if I understood your words above correctly?) but I do not want to do anything with the new case - just install the hardware and go.

Last edited:
How about the Canyon 695?

Edit: I don't think this case will fully house your Corsair 1000W PSU, so you would have to get a smaller one, of which there are plenty that are better than the Corsair 1000HX, such as the Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250.

Last edited:
So you say I should avoid PC-A7110 and PC-V2110B? Are they really that bad? I quite like their design.
I know that you have probably tuned up the PC-A71 to perfection (different isolating foam maybe if I understood your words above correctly?) but I do not want to do anything with the new case - just install the hardware and go.
For normal use A7110 just doesn't give any benefits over A71... unless higher price/faster emptying of wallet is considered as such. (also extra restriction for PSU's fan)
V2110 would work really well as modding base for heavy watercooling with bottom chamber fitting quad radiator and top triple radiator but simply doesn't offer anything better/more than A71 for normal use: Door is way more airflow restricting, effectively just four 5.25" bays because of need for main chamber intake fan and that useless foam. Also cleaning filter of intake fan needs opening both side panels for unscrewing fan. (+chambers make working with HDDs/PSU harder because of less open space)

That mid case fan holder is easy to make less airflow restricting by taking away those plastic card end supports, exhaust fan's inside mesh is another useless airflow restriction.
Especially with lighter weight of aluminum only sense making dampening starts from mass damping to reduce vibrations (extra mass/thickness blocks also some airborne noise) meaning first installing dense bitumen/vinyl mat or using combination mat with both mass damping base layer and thicker absorption foam. (one packet is just enough for side panels, two for rough coverage)
For normal PC user/gamer it's probably quiet at stock: http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=532&page=6
(I'm one of those who check fans at 800 rpm for slightest bearing/motor noises and don't tolerate resonating fans)

Ok, thank you, E.T, I am starting to lean towards the PC-A71B. I might buy it in the end I think :)
I have also come accross PC-A71F - is this some newer and better version? It looks like it is not on the market yet.

I still have a question about the PC-A71B - the PSU at the bottom - isn't the dust that is accumulating at the bottom of the case causing trouble to the PSU? Doesn't it act like a hoover? My case will stand on the ground so that is why I am worried about it.

In that Nordic Hardware review mentioned above - they say there are no holes in the M/B tray for the cable management? Is that true?

There is no foam on the side panels, right? I would have to buy it.

And these fan speed regulators - like the Aerocool FP-01 - does it work with any fan? Is any additional wiring required or is it included with the Aerocool? Will I have to modify the fan in some way? I never owned anything like that so I am not sure how it works.

A71F is mostly "fashion update": Front fans are 14cm sized but it doesn't have mid-case fans to reboost/-focus airflow after HDD cage. Also it can't take PCI cooling kits and apparently there's that fashionable useless foam in panels. As just released product it might take couple months before it's available, of course also price will be surely higher.

Intake fans have filters so most dust won't get in. Most cables can be crammed out of sight and zip ties are basic cable management tool... when there's available space it takes just some imagination. (CPU power cable extension is useful with most PSUs)

Lack of useless foams is advantage for installing any working stuff, be it plain cheap bitumen mat for mass damping or something more complex. FP-01 comes with everything necessary... although few zip ties are again useful for attaching cables along the way and hiding/wrapping unneeded length into 5.25" bay behind device. Also those ties which are used by factory to wrap cables into bundles can be re-used

Thank you E.T, I think that guy from Nordic Hardware modified the M/B tray by cutting some holes in it so he could actually hide the cables behind the tray.

I have noticed that the Aerocool FP-01 can regulate only 4 fans and A71B has 6 fans. How do you regulate them all then? Is it possible to regulate two at once somehow?

I did those same holes (+hole for changing heatsinks backplate) but with lining in side panel there's really no space in there for thick power cables. (in lately made cases tray probably looks like this)

FP-01 is three channel controller. Because of that and suspecting it as plain power chopping PWM controller I actually got also linear regulator based three channel Zalman MFC2 but it turned out to be working with every fan. 1.5A/18W output per channel would allow easily having four SlipStream Ms (0.26A) in one channel. I used splitters/Y-cables for putting intake fans and mid case fans to two groups but it would be possible to use third splitter for connecting these groups in parallel into same channel. Similarly exhaust fans could be grouped together.
For as long as output power per channel (varies between controllers/motherboards) isn't exceeded and fans are identical (same speed at same voltage) it's possible to connect them parallel without problems. RPM reading comes from only one fan but when they're identical they all run at same speed, start at same voltage and stall at same voltage.

E.T, thank you, I knew there is some way how to regulate the fans in groups. Are some regulators stronger than the other ones? Meaning - capable of regulating more W per channel? I would like to get something strong in the case I add some more fans in the future :)
Will for example the new Zalman ZM-MFC3 be able to handle 2 more powerful fans at each channel? They are little doubtful about that here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218743
I just need something that will handle 2 fans per channel in that A71B case and I like that Zalman's design. And also I would like automatic regulation and smooth regulation (not just in steps)

Last edited:
Zalman MFC2 and MFC3 have 0.7A/~8W output per channel so they would take two SlipStream Ms per channel. Neither are they entirely stepless with 60rpm steps in selecting wanted speed.
Anything like FP-01's 18W is rare for linear regulators because need of heatsink for controlling component.
There are few more powerful controllers like Sunbeam Rheobus with 20W limit and Rheobus Extreme with 30W limit but those don't do anything else and don't even monitor rotation/speed of fans. (that's what kind heatsinks you need with linear regulator for those outputs) Their seven 10W channel digital controller Chromatic Windmill again has six adjustment steps and is well possibly just PWM chopper.
Scythe Kaze controllers seem to be 1A/12W limited but look just like plain digital PWM choppers.
For automatic control to actually work like wanted device would have to be programmable through software in PC with freely configurable temperature vs. rpm curves.

Thank you E.T, I like the FP-01 but I am little concerned that it has only 3 channels. For 6 fans it would be ok I guess but if I add there one or two more fans - for example PCI cooler fan - I would not be able to regulate that. Also how does the card reader part work? Do you see all these drives in your Explorer constantly? Or at least that how it works with my standard USB card reader - i plug it in and see 5-6 more additional drives.
Do you think the Scythe Kaze Server would be a good alternative to control 2 fans per channel? It has four channels so I could control 8 fans total which would be nice.

Here it says that Scythe Kaze Server should be able to regulate fan speed in 30rpm steps - http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/ultragrade/kaze-server

By the way - what does it mean when you say PWM chopper? This means that the regulation is not linear and works in steps only?

And the fans in Lian-Li cases are 3-pin fans, right? Because it looks like the Scythe can control 3-pin fans only.

Last edited:
FP-01's card reader needs driver to work but with included software drive labels (four) have card type names instead of just generic removable disk name... Have to wonder why there isn't any standard for giving that automatically to all card readers.

Instead of lowering voltage from 12V PWM keeps switching it on and off at fast speed with cycle depending on wanted output voltage (@12V always on, @6V on and off parts equally long etc...) which in practise means this and some up to very nasty noises as side effect with many fans.
In this picture it looks like there are heatsinks so Kaze Server might be linear regulator but you might want to ask it from Scythe:
http://www.quietpc.com/files/images/products/kaze-server-rear-large.jpg
(Kaze Master and Kaze Q again don't have any heatsinks)

Stock fans (0.27A current draw so in that aspect identical to SlipStream M) have normal fan connector and come with Molex adapters which could be also used for "chaining" fans you don't need/want to control and connecting them directly to PSU. In any case at least intake fans and mid case fans should be connected to groups because there just isn't any sense in for example controlling both intake fans separately. Also both case exhausts and PCI cooling kit could be connected into one channel of FP-01. (or any controller with above ~0.8A output per channel)

Thank you, E.T, I am starting to understand the difference :)

Do you think FP-01 could handle 4 Lian-Li fans at one channel?

Back